Tim Walz says Minnesota federal immigration raids expected to end within days

Tim Walz said his talks with Trump’s border czar Tom Homan and White House chief Susie Wiles led him to expect ICE operations in Minnesota to ease
Minnesota Governor Tim Walz said that he expects federal immigration raids to end within days, not weeks, after weeks of unrest in the Twin Cities (Getty Images)
Minnesota Governor Tim Walz said that he expects federal immigration raids to end within days, not weeks, after weeks of unrest in the Twin Cities (Getty Images)

MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA: Minnesota’s controversial federal immigration enforcement operation that has dominated headlines and local politics for weeks is expected to scale back within days, Democratic Gov Tim Walz said Tuesday, Feb 10.

Walz told reporters he spoke with President Donald Trump’s border czar, Tom Homan, and White House chief of staff Susie Wiles, and based on those conversations, he expects a significant reduction in Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) activity by the end of the week.

Tim Walz hopes for Homan to leave by Friday

Walz and other local leaders have repeatedly criticized the influx of federal agents, framing the effort as disruptive to daily life and harmful to small businesses, although Trump administration officials have defended the actions as lawful enforcement of existing immigration laws.

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz responds to questions from reporters regarding whether he will seek a third term during a press conference following an event on the state's new Paid Family and Medical Leave program, Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2026, in Minneapolis. (Kerem Yücel/Minnesota Public Radio via AP)
Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz responds to questions from reporters regarding whether he will seek a third term during a press conference following an event on the state's new Paid Family and Medical Leave program, Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2026, in Minneapolis (Kerem Yücel/Minnesota Public Radio via AP)

Walz said on Tuesday he hopes announcements about the drawdown will come “before Friday,” underscoring a shift in momentum after weeks of intense scrutiny.

“It would be my hope that Mr Homan goes out before Friday and announces that this thing is done, and they’re bringing her down, and they’re bringing her down in days,” Walz said of the operation. “That would be my expectation.”

Earlier in the day, lawmakers on Capitol Hill questioned leaders of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) agencies overseeing the Minnesota operation, which has seen two US citizens shot and killed by federal agents, as well as sweeping arrests of immigrants of varying legal statuses.

Tim Walz has been heavily critical of Trump admin

Operation Metro Surge, the big enforcement push, sent thousands of ICE and Homeland Security agents all over Minneapolis–Saint Paul and the rest of Minnesota.

MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA - JANUARY 24: Crowds of onlookers gather after federal agents allegedly shot a protestor amid a scuffle to arrest him on January 24, 2026 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The Trump administration has sent a reported 3,000 federal agents into the area, with more on the way, as they make a push to arrest undocumented immigrants in the region. (Photo by Stephen Maturen/Getty Images)
Crowds of onlookers gather after federal agents allegedly shot a protestor amid a scuffle to arrest him on January 24, 2026 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The Trump administration has sent a reported 3,000 federal agents into the area, with more on the way, as they make a push to arrest undocumented immigrants in the region (Stephen Maturen/Getty Images)

This was part of the Trump administration’s strategy to crack down hard on immigration cases and go after what they said was fraud and crime linked to immigration violations.

Critics, mostly Democratic officials from the state and cities, say the operation is tearing up communities and want it stopped.

Walz has been heavily critical of the Trump administration's actions in his state, which originally stemmed from long-running investigations into fraud allegedly committed by Somali immigrants.



Tensions escalated when Renee Good, a US citizen, was shot in her car by an ICE agent on January 7, leading to calls from Walz and Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey for agents to leave. 

Operations continued, as did protests, with another American, VA nurse Alex Pretti, also shot dead later in the month.

The Minnesota governor said Tuesday that he was in a "trust but verify mode" when it came to the idea of hundreds of agents pulling out of Minneapolis and St. Paul, adding that more details were likely in the coming days.

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz (R) and his wife Gwen Walz (L) look on during a vigil for Renee Good on the steps of the state capitol building on January 09, 2026 in St. Paul, Minnesota (Stephen Maturen/Getty Images)
Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz and first lady Gwen Walz attend a candlelight vigil outside the state Capitol building on June 18, 2025 in St Paul, Minnesota (Stephen Maturen/Getty Images)

Last week, Homan, who was sent to the Twin Cities to take over operations from the Border Patrol's Gregory Bovino, announced that 700 of the roughly 3,000 federal agents in the area would be pulled.

On Tuesday, Walz said that he expected state officials would be allowed to jointly investigate the deaths of Good and Pretti, following weeks of claims they had been frozen out by the Trump administration.

A formal announcement on the next stage of the operation in Minnesota is yet to be made.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

The reported courtship comes as Trump weighs several contenders for the high-profile White House role
47 minutes ago
Heidi Overton has helped shape Trump’s health policies and faced criticism from MAHA advocates over several administration initiatives
7 hours ago
The UN-authorized Omani route is opposed by Iran, but vessels increasingly use it despite risks, relying on US naval forces for protection
9 hours ago
David Morens admitted to using a personal email account to conduct government business and circumvent federal public-records laws
10 hours ago
The USS Benfold lost power in the South China Sea, disrupting water, food, air conditioning and toilets before it was towed to the Philippines
11 hours ago
Haley Van Erem alleges some university investigations lacked evidence of Title VI violations and were steered toward settlements
13 hours ago
Trump acknowledged that no peace talks are underway with Tehran as the 60-day deadline for reaching a permanent ceasefire expired
18 hours ago
A Democratic senator’s jab at Trump’s close aide sparked a fierce White House response as fresh scrutiny surrounds Harp’s unusually prominent role
19 hours ago
Last month, Rubio escalated the administration’s fight against the ICC, calling it a State Department-led campaign to dismantle the court
19 hours ago
Sean Spicer says Trump’s next press secretary will likely need his trust, understand his communication style and already have a close relationship with him
20 hours ago