Iran denies Diego Garcia missile claim, calls report ‘Israeli disinformation’

Tehran signals retaliation targeting regional infrastructure amid rising tensions
Iran rejected allegations it tried to strike the Diego Garcia base, dismissing the claims as Israeli 'disinformation,' as NATO said it could not independently confirm the reports (U.S. Navy via AP, File)
Iran rejected allegations it tried to strike the Diego Garcia base, dismissing the claims as Israeli 'disinformation,' as NATO said it could not independently confirm the reports (U.S. Navy via AP, File)

TEHRAN, IRAN: Iran has rejected claims, on Monday, March 23, that it attempted a missile strike on the joint US-UK military base at Diego Garcia, calling the allegations “disinformation” attributed to Israel.

The denial comes amid escalating rhetoric and military tensions in the region. Iranian officials also issued warnings about potential retaliation against critical infrastructure across the Middle East.

The developments highlight growing concerns over the widening scope of the conflict.

Iran dismisses Diego Garcia strike claims as ‘disinformation’

Iran’s Foreign Ministry pushed back against reports suggesting Tehran had attempted to target the remote Indian Ocean base, which is located more than 2,000 miles from Iranian territory. Officials described the claims as part of a broader misinformation campaign.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmail Baqaei said in a social media post that “even the NATO Secretary General (who is infamously pressing Alliance members to appease the US and support their illegal war on Iran) declines to endorse Israel's most recent disinformation, speaks volumes: the world has grown thoroughly exhausted with these tired and discredited 'false flag' storylines.”

WASHINGTON, DC - SEPTEMBER 15: Prime Minister of Israel Benjamin Netanyahu speaks as U.S. President Donald Trump looks on during the signing ceremony of the Abraham Accords on the South Lawn of the White House September 15, 2020 in Washington, DC. Witnessed by President Trump, Prime Minister Netanyahu signed a peace deal with the UAE and a declaration of intent to make peace with Bahrain. (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)
Benjamin Netanyahu speaks as Donald Trump looks on during the signing ceremony of the Abraham Accords on the South Lawn of the White House on September 15, 2020, in Washington, DC. Netanyahu signed a peace agreement with the UAE and a declaration of intent to make peace with Bahrain (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)

The comments came after Israeli officials raised concerns about the alleged strike attempt.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu echoed those concerns, stating, “They are putting everyone in their sights,” while calling on the international community to respond. However, Mark Rutte said the alliance could not confirm the reports.

Speaking in an interview, he noted that NATO was still assessing the situation, adding that it “cannot confirm that at the moment.”

Iran signals potential retaliation targeting regional power infrastructure

Separately, Iranian-linked media outlets published a list of energy and infrastructure sites across the Middle East, in what appeared to be a warning of potential retaliatory action.

The list included power plants and desalination facilities, as well as the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in the United Arab Emirates.

A man looks at the ruins of a building after an Iranian missile strike on June 19, 2025 in Holon, Israel. Iran launched a retaliatory missile strike on Israel starting late on June 13, after a series of Israeli airstrikes earlier in the day targeted Iranian military and nuclear sites, as well as top military officials. (Photo by Amir Levy/Getty Images)
A man looks at the ruins of a building after an Iranian missile strike on June 19, 2025, in Holon, Israel. Iran launched a retaliatory missile strike on Israel starting late on June 13, after a series of Israeli airstrikes earlier in the day targeted Iranian military and nuclear sites, as well as top military officials (Photo by Amir Levy/Getty Images)

The reports, carried by outlets affiliated with Iran’s state and paramilitary institutions, suggested that such facilities could be targeted if Iran’s own infrastructure were attacked.

These sites are critical to regional stability, as many Gulf nations rely on integrated systems that provide both electricity and desalinated drinking water.

Iranian Red Crescent emergency workers use a bulldozer to clear rubble from a residential building that was hit in an earlier U.S.-Israeli strike in Tehran, Iran, Monday, March 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)
Iranian Red Crescent emergency workers use a bulldozer to clear rubble from a residential building that was hit in an earlier US-Israeli strike in Tehran, Iran, Monday, March 23, 2026 (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)

In a statement carried by Iranian state media, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps warned of a broader response.

It said there had been a “decision that if the power plants are attacked, Iran will retaliate by targeting the power plants of the occupying regime and the power plants of regional countries that supply electricity to US bases, as well as the economic, industrial and energy infrastructures in which Americans have shares.” The statement added, “Do not doubt that we will do this." 

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump rejected claims that November's midterm elections influenced his approach to the conflict, saying they had 'nothing to do' with his thinking
1 day ago
A Wall Street Journal report says Iran used the diplomatic window to strengthen the IRGC, rebuild weapons capacity and prepare for wider conflict
1 day ago
Donald Trump cited cost, diplomacy with Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s Iran stance as the Pentagon reduced US participation in annual military drills
1 day ago
Iranian Army chief Amir Hatami said the reward was created after a surge in requests from Iranians seeking to join the conflict
2 days ago
Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran would decide when the strategic waterway opens or closes, rejecting Washington’s claim of control
3 days ago
Iran said the United States must pledge never to threaten Tehran again and permanently end its war with Iran and its regional allies
Aug 9, 2026
Kazem Gharibabadi said negotiations were essential as inflation hit 88.6% and Iran’s oil exports faced mounting disruption
Aug 9, 2026
Iran said the Strait of Hormuz would remain closed until the US ended military action, lifted sanctions, and withdrew its forces
Aug 8, 2026
Reza Valizadeh also revealed that Iranian authorities have prevented his family from visiting him for five months, which he believes is punishment
Aug 8, 2026
Ron Dermer served as Israel’s ambassador to the US from 2013 to 2021 and later worked as Benjamin Netanyahu’s strategic affairs minister
Aug 8, 2026