Jimmy Fallon quips Melania Trump is so bothered by WH construction that she ‘lives 200 miles away’

Jimmy Fallon also teased that Donald Trump rarely heard the noise as he spent much of his day in a tanning bed or undergoing MRI scans
During his opening monologue, Jimmy Fallon discussed the ongoing construction of the White House State Ballroom (Screengrab/The Tonight Show/X)
During his opening monologue, Jimmy Fallon discussed the ongoing construction of the White House State Ballroom (Screengrab/The Tonight Show/X)

WASHINGTON, DC: Late-night host Jimmy Fallon targeted President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump in a series of jokes over the construction of the White House Ballroom.

Fallon joked that the noise must be so loud that Melania Trump lives "200 miles away" and that she "stopped speaking to Trump nine years ago."



Late-night jokes on Trump's ballroom construction project

During his monologue on 'The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon' on Wednesday, December 3, Jimmy Fallon emphasized the ongoing construction of the White House Ballroom.

He began by saying, "President Trump has been focused on building his new ballroom, and he just said that Melania is upset over all the construction noise.”

Fallon then threw in his first jab, saying, “It must be really loud because she lives 200 miles away.”

WASHINGTON, DC - SEPTEMBER 16: Construction continues on U.S. President Donald Trump's ballroom extension at the White House on September 16, 2025 in Washington, DC. President Trump said that he and private donors will pay for the $200 million, 900-person capacity ballroom extension to the White House. (Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
Construction continues on US President Donald Trump's ballroom extension at the White House on September 16, 2025 in Washington, DC (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

The crowd laughed as Fallon continued to joke about the First Couple, adding, "Melania is so mad about the construction she stopped speaking to Trump nine years ago."

He further joked that the 79-year-old president “rarely hears the noise” because “half his day is spent in a tanning bed, the other half is in an MRI, so he doesn’t know what’s happening.”

Fallon tied the construction to Trump's appearance of dozing off during a Cabinet meeting earlier in the week by asserting, "The construction noise is brutal, but it's the only thing keeping Trump awake."

Donald Trump holds up a rendering of the proposed White House ballroom (@WhiteHouse/X)
Donald Trump holds up a rendering of the proposed White House ballroom (@WhiteHouse/X)

White House ballroom architect changed

As work on the ballroom described by the White House as "a much-needed and exquisite addition" proceeds, reports came in on Thursday, December 4 that the architects have been changed.

CNN had reported that McCrery Architects and its CEO, James McCrery, were no longer part of the project leadership as reportedly, as he reportedly disagreed with the President's wishes on design elements, including the size of the ballroom.

Though the White House denied that CEO McCrery was fired, they did confirm he would transition to a consultant role.

WASHINGTON, DC - OCTOBER 15: A model of the White House and proposed ballroom is displayed during a ballroom fundraising dinner with U.S. President Donald Trump in the East Room of the White House on October 15, 2025 in Washington, DC. Trump hosted organizations and individuals for a fundraising dinner for the new $250 million ballroom addition currently under construction at the White House. (Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
A model of the White House and proposed ballroom is displayed during a ballroom fundraising dinner with US President Donald Trump in the East Room of the White House on October 15, 2025 in Washington, DC (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

Veteran architect Shalom Baranes takes over design

Meanwhile, Shalom Baranes Associates has now been brought on board to take over the project's design.

White House spokesperson Davis Ingle issued a statement on the change to CNN: "As we begin to transition into the next stage of development on the White House Ballroom, the Administration is excited to share that the highly talented Shalom Baranes has joined the team of experts to carry out President Trump's vision on building what will be the greatest addition to the White House since the Oval Office - the White House Ballroom." 

Ingle concluded by highlighting the credentials of the new firm, saying, “Shalom is an accomplished architect whose work has shaped the architectural identity of our nation’s capital for decades, and his experience will be a great asset to the completion of this project.”

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

'To call Paxton ethically challenged is like calling Jeffrey Dahmer someone with an eating disorder', Thom Tillis told Jake Tapper
2 hours ago
Hunter Biden also defended Candace Owens against the criticism she received for publicly questioning the circumstances around Charlie Kirk’s death
11 hours ago
The segment on ‘The Jim Acosta Show’ centered on Trump’s years-long habit of touting his performance on the MoCA test as proof of his intellect
14 hours ago
Don Lemon urged reporters to speak up as he highlighted how former late-night host Stephen Colbert’s competitors and colleagues supported him
16 hours ago
Piers Morgan urged Donald Trump to avoid a potential US-Israel strike on Iran, warning escalation could intensify regional instability and conflict
17 hours ago
Megyn Kelly claimed Donald Trump supporters quickly became pro-war on Iran after backing his earlier anti-war promises
17 hours ago
Stephen Colbert hosted 'Only in Monroe' with Jeff Daniels and Jack White, while Eminem and Steve Buscemi made cameos
18 hours ago
Tarlov mocks Trump’s repeated references to cognitive testing during public appearances
23 hours ago
Maher recently tried to show openness and willingness to engage with Trump
1 day ago
Trey Parker said White House outrage pushed writers to go harder on Trump
1 day ago