Joe Biden remains doubtful of peaceful transfer of power if Donald Trump loses election

President Joe Biden faces backlash online after he said Donald Trump's defeat may not assure peaceful transfer of power
PUBLISHED AUG 8, 2024
President Joe Biden voiced his concerns about the aftermath of Donald Trump's potential defeat in 2024 election (Getty Images)
President Joe Biden voiced his concerns about the aftermath of Donald Trump's potential defeat in 2024 election (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Joe Biden stated that he is "not confident at all" that there will be a peaceful transfer of power if GOP nominee and former president Donald Trump loses the upcoming election during an interview with CBS host Robert Costa.

Biden shared his views on the topic in a preview clip of the interview, which is set to air in its entirety on August 11 on 'CBS Sunday Mornings'. This is the incumbent's first interview since he suspended his 2024 presidential campaign, reported Fox News.

Joe Biden's comments on a peaceful transfer of power

In light of the Capitol Hill riots that took place on January 6, 2021, following Donald Trump losing his reelection bid, Costa asked Joe Biden if he was confident that a peaceful transfer of power would take place this time around.

WASHINGTON, DC - JANUARY 06: Protesters supporting U.S. President Donald Trump break into the U.S. C
Protesters supporting Donald Trump break into the US Capitol on January 6, 2021 (Getty Images)

"If Trump loses, I'm not confident at all," said Biden, swiftly correcting himself after first mentioning, "If Trump wins, no I'm not confident at all."

"He means what he says. We don't take him seriously. He means it. All this stuff about if we lose, there'll be a bloodbath," he continued. "Look what they're trying to do now. In the local election districts where people count the votes… they're putting people in place in states where they're gonna count the votes, right? You can't love your country only when you win."



 

The "bloodbath" reference was made by the former president earlier this year at a rally, and he had since reportedly claimed that he meant an "economic bloodbath" specifically for the automobile industry.

Internet slams Joe Biden for his remarks about Donald Trump

MAGA supporters on X (formerly Twitter) slammed Joe Biden over his comments and accused him of spreading false rhetoric.

"They tried this BS narrative the last time and Trump left early without an issue. Y’all need to stop this fake narrative about Trump. No one is buying it," wrote one social media user.



 

"Why didn't you tell us what he first said he first said if Trump wins. You better listen to what Biden is telling you. he told you he didn't have to campaign. He didn't slip up there. The truth came out of his mouth," added another.



 

"He actually said if Donald wins. Then realized he said the quiet part out loud," one person wrote.



 

"Way to gaslight. Trump got shot and you’re still pushing that divisive rhetoric," stated another.



 

"We already know you all won't allow Trump to take office. They are the ones who are having an issue with the transfer of power," one individual remarked.



 

"Is there any this AT ALL that Biden is confident in these days?" asked another.



 

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

JD Vance said recent talks with Iranian officials had gone well overall, but stressed that Iran had not yet agreed to all of Donald Trump’s red lines
11 minutes ago
Vice President JD Vance said the administration will not back down and will be 'smart' in enforcing immigration laws despite city resistance
17 minutes ago
The administration said it was open to good faith talks to end the shutdown but would not compromise on enforcing immigration laws
1 hour ago
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez misstated Venezuela’s location below the equator, and JD Vance said it showed she was repeating lines she did not understand
1 hour ago
The Department of Homeland Security denied NBC News claims, saying the C-130 never left the search and calling the report politicized
2 hours ago
Ken Paxton attacked John Cornyn’s fifth-term bid and accused him of falsely claiming loyalty to Donald Trump
2 hours ago
Hakeem Jeffries blasted Randy Fine over remarks about Muslims after Nerdeen Kiswani’s post, warning such rhetoric fuels hate
2 hours ago
Laura Loomer accused Marjorie Taylor Greene of attacking President Donald Trump ahead of 2026, and Greene blasted Loomer’s record and loyalty
3 hours ago
President Donald Trump said he is willing to meet Democrats to try to break the standoff over funding for DHS
7 hours ago
Top DHS official Tricia McLaughlin exits as deportation support drops to 46%
9 hours ago