Joe Kent claims Israelis 'drove' US decision to enter Iran war in Tucker Carlson interview

Joe Kent challenged Donald Trump’s Iran strike rationale, rejecting claims of an imminent threat and saying 'That just simply did not exist'
Joe Kent said in a Tucker Carlson interview he resigned after questioning the US Iran strike, arguing it was driven by outside influence, not threat (AP Photo/Jenny Kane, File)
Joe Kent said in a Tucker Carlson interview he resigned after questioning the US Iran strike, arguing it was driven by outside influence, not threat (AP Photo/Jenny Kane, File)

WASHINGTON, DC: Joe Kent, the former head of the National Counterterrorism Center, opened up about his sudden resignation in a wide-ranging interview with Tucker Carlson on Wednesday, March 18, offering a blunt critique of the US decision to strike Iran.

Kent, who stepped down earlier this week, used the conversation to question the reasoning behind the military action and argue that the United States was pulled into the conflict by outside influence rather than a direct threat.



Joe Kent claims Israel drove US Iran strike

During the interview, Kent made it clear he believes the decision to take military action was not driven solely by US interests. “The Israelis drove the decision to take this action,” Kent told Carlson.

He argued that officials were aware of the consequences such a move would trigger. “Which we knew would set off a series of events, meaning the Iranians would retaliate,” he added.

Director of the National Counterterrorism Center Joseph Kent testifies before the House Committee on Homeland Security in the Cannon House Office Building on December 11, 2025 in Washington, DC. The committee convened to hear testimony from top national security officials on potential worldwide threats. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
Director of the National Counterterrorism Center Joseph Kent testifies before the House Committee on Homeland Security in the Cannon House Office Building on December 11, 2025 in Washington, DC (Getty Images)

Kent’s remarks directly challenge the narrative put forward by Donald Trump and his administration, which has defended the strikes as necessary to protect American national security.

According to administration officials, Iran posed an imminent threat, and the timing of the attack was based on intelligence assessments. Kent, however, rejected that claim outright.

“That just simply did not exist,” he said, referring to the idea of an imminent threat from Iran.

Joe Kent resignation exposes Trump admin tensions

Kent’s departure from his role has drawn attention not just because of his position, but also because of what it represents politically. He had been a close aide to Tulsi Gabbard, the director of national intelligence, who has long been known for her skepticism of foreign military interventions.

Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard testifies during the Senate Committee on Intelligence hearings to examine worldwide threats on Capitol Hill Wednesday, March 18, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana)
Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard testifies during the Senate Committee on Intelligence hearings to examine worldwide threats on Capitol Hill Wednesday, March 18, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana)

His resignation comes at a time when internal disagreements over the Iran conflict are becoming more visible, especially among figures aligned with the MAGA movement.

During a Senate hearing on Wednesday, Gabbard was asked directly about the threat posed by Iran. She declined to offer a definitive assessment, saying only that “the president” is the one who determines such matters.

White House slams Joe Kent remarks on Iran

The White House did not hold back in responding to Kent’s comments.

Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt sharply criticized his claims about the decision to attack Iran.

She described his remarks as “insulting and laughable,” signaling that the administration has little patience for dissent from within its own ranks.

At the same time, allies of the president have reportedly worked to discredit Kent following his resignation, suggesting his views do not reflect the administration’s strategy.

A newly revealed audio recording obtained by ‘The New York Times’ shows White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt warned CBS anchor Tony Dokoupil that the administration would ‘sue your ass off’ if Trump’s recent interview was edited (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
A newly revealed audio recording obtained by ‘The New York Times’ shows White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt warned CBS anchor Tony Dokoupil that the administration would sue him if Trump’s recent interview was edited (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

MAGA divide grows as Tucker Carlson, Megyn Kelly question war

Kent’s interview has also drawn attention because it aligns with concerns raised by prominent conservative voices like Tucker Carlson and Megyn Kelly. 

Both have expressed skepticism about US involvement in the conflict and have questioned whether the country should engage in another overseas war.

WASHINGTON, DC - JANUARY 20: Political commentator Tucker Carlson attends the United States Capitol on January 20, 2025 in Washington, DC. Donald Trump takes office for his second term as the 47th President of the United States. (Photo by Shawn Thew-Pool/Getty Images)
Political commentator Tucker Carlson attends the United States Capitol on January 20, 2025 in Washington, DC (Getty Images)

Kent shared a similar view in his discussion with Carlson, arguing the US should have handled Israel differently. “We could have simply said to the Israelis, ‘No, you will not [attack Iran], and if you do, we will take something away from you,'” he said.

Director of the National Counterterrorism Center Joseph Kent testifies before the House Committee on Homeland Security in the Cannon House Office Building on December 11, 2025 in Washington, DC. The committee convened to hear testimony from top national security officials on potential worldwide threats. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
Director of the National Counterterrorism Center Joseph Kent testifies before the House Committee on Homeland Security in the Cannon House Office Building on December 11, 2025 in Washington, DC (Getty Images)

He added that while supporting Israel’s defense is reasonable, the US should have more control over how that support is used.

“I think it’s fine that we offer defense to Israel but when we’re providing the means for their defense, we get to dictate the terms of when they go on the offensive, otherwise they stand to lose that relationship,” Kent said.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

The UN-authorized Omani route is opposed by Iran, but vessels increasingly use it despite risks, relying on US naval forces for protection
1 hour ago
David Morens admitted to using a personal email account to conduct government business and circumvent federal public-records laws
1 hour ago
The USS Benfold lost power in the South China Sea, disrupting water, food, air conditioning and toilets before it was towed to the Philippines
3 hours ago
Haley Van Erem alleges some university investigations lacked evidence of Title VI violations and were steered toward settlements
5 hours ago
Trump acknowledged that no peace talks are underway with Tehran as the 60-day deadline for reaching a permanent ceasefire expired
10 hours ago
A Democratic senator’s jab at Trump’s close aide sparked a fierce White House response as fresh scrutiny surrounds Harp’s unusually prominent role
10 hours ago
Last month, Rubio escalated the administration’s fight against the ICC, calling it a State Department-led campaign to dismantle the court
11 hours ago
Sean Spicer says Trump’s next press secretary will likely need his trust, understand his communication style and already have a close relationship with him
11 hours ago
Judge Brian E Murphy rejected a bid to delay ending TPS for about 5,000 Ethiopians as their legal challenge continues
12 hours ago
A planned discussion on violent crime in Washington was abruptly pulled, adding fresh uncertainty around Trump ally Jeanine Pirro’s standing in DC
12 hours ago