Joe Scarborough says there are ‘no damning details on Trump’ in newly released Epstein files

Joe Scarborough said the Epstein files show nothing damning on Donald Trump as the Department of Justice warned some claims are false
Joe Scarborough said Donald Trump is not implicated in the Epstein files but questioned why he appears focused on blocking public access (Screengrab/MS NOW)
Joe Scarborough said Donald Trump is not implicated in the Epstein files but questioned why he appears focused on blocking public access (Screengrab/MS NOW)


WASHINGTON, DC: Joe Scarborough said on Tuesday, December 23, that there is nothing "damning" about Donald Trump in the newly released Epstein Files.

On Tuesday, the Department of Justice released a new batch of documents related to disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein and cautioned that some of the materials contained "untrue and sensationalist" claims about the POTUS. 

Joe Scarborough asks if Trump is trying to protect somebody

During Tuesday’s edition of 'Morning Joe' on MSNBC, Joe Scarborough said, "One of the great mysteries to me, and a lot of other people, is that we've had reporting for some time. Donald Trump is not on Epstein's list. There's nothing in there that's really damning about Donald Trump."

Meanwhile, he added, "What are the great mysteries all along in this? Not like what's Donald Trump is hiding or what did he do? It's like why if he is not in these files, which all the reporting says he is not, Why is he so obsessed on blocking access to the files. Is he trying to protect somebody?"

PALM BEACH, FLORIDA - DECEMBER 22: U.S. President Donald Trump, joined by Secretary of State Marco Rubio, announced the creation of the “Trump-class” battleship during a statement to the media at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate on December 22, 2025 in Palm Beach, Florida. Trump announced the new class of ship will become the centerpiece of his “Golden Fleet” program to rebuild and strengthen the U.S. shipbuilding industry. (Photo by Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump, joined by Secretary of State Marco Rubio, announced the creation of the 'Trump-class' battleship during a statement to the media at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate on December 22, 2025, in Palm Beach, Florida (Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images)

In a statement posted to X, the DOJ said the release included nearly 30,000 pages of records, some of which contained allegations submitted to the FBI shortly before the 2020 presidential election.

The department said, "Some of these documents contain untrue and sensationalist claims made against President Trump that were submitted to the FBI right before the 2020 election." "To be clear: the claims are unfounded and false, and if they had a shred of credibility, they certainly would have been weaponized against President Trump already," the Justice Department added, without specifying which claims it was referring to.

In this handout, the mug shot of Jeffrey Epstein, 2019. (Photo by Kypros/Getty Images)
In this handout, the mug shot of Jeffrey Epstein, 2019 (Kypros/Getty Images)

The DOJ said it was releasing the documents "out of our commitment to the law and transparency."

DOJ email details Trump’s flights on Epstein’s private jet

Donald Trump traveled on Jeffrey Epstein’s private jet at least eight times during the mid-1990s, according to a newly released email from the Department of Justice.

The January 7, 2020, email from an assistant attorney stated, "Donald Trump traveled on Epstein's private jet many more times than previously has been reported (or that we were aware)." 

The email further read, "In particular, he is listed as a passenger on at least eight flights between 1993 and 1996, including at least four flights on which Maxwell was also present. He is listed as having traveled with, among others and at various times, [second wife] Marla Maples, his daughter Tiffany, and his son Eric."



"On one flight in 1993, he and Epstein are the only two listed passengers; on another, the only three passengers are Epstein, Trump, and then-20-year-old [redacted]. On two other flights, two of the passengers, respectively, were women who would be possible witnesses in a Maxwell case. We’ve just finished reviewing the full records (more than 100 pages of very small script) and didn’t want any of this to be a surprise down the road," the email added.

The email provides no evidence that Trump was aware of Epstein’s crimes against women and girls, nor does it indicate any wrongdoing on Trump’s part.

The latest document release, totaling more than 30,000 pages, is part of the Epstein files that the DOJ was legally required to publish in full by December 19.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

The UN-authorized Omani route is opposed by Iran, but vessels increasingly use it despite risks, relying on US naval forces for protection
1 hour ago
David Morens admitted to using a personal email account to conduct government business and circumvent federal public-records laws
1 hour ago
The USS Benfold lost power in the South China Sea, disrupting water, food, air conditioning and toilets before it was towed to the Philippines
3 hours ago
Haley Van Erem alleges some university investigations lacked evidence of Title VI violations and were steered toward settlements
4 hours ago
Trump acknowledged that no peace talks are underway with Tehran as the 60-day deadline for reaching a permanent ceasefire expired
10 hours ago
A Democratic senator’s jab at Trump’s close aide sparked a fierce White House response as fresh scrutiny surrounds Harp’s unusually prominent role
10 hours ago
Last month, Rubio escalated the administration’s fight against the ICC, calling it a State Department-led campaign to dismantle the court
11 hours ago
Sean Spicer says Trump’s next press secretary will likely need his trust, understand his communication style and already have a close relationship with him
11 hours ago
Judge Brian E Murphy rejected a bid to delay ending TPS for about 5,000 Ethiopians as their legal challenge continues
12 hours ago
A planned discussion on violent crime in Washington was abruptly pulled, adding fresh uncertainty around Trump ally Jeanine Pirro’s standing in DC
12 hours ago