Kamala Harris set to attend second presidential debate, questions Donald Trump's participation

Donald Trump was also portrayed by Kamala Harris' campaign as 'scared' of the second presidential debate after Joe Biden stepped down
PUBLISHED JUL 29, 2024
Last week, Kamala Harris declared herself 'ready to go' for a debate and charged Donald Trump with reversing his earlier remarks (Getty Images)
Last week, Kamala Harris declared herself 'ready to go' for a debate and charged Donald Trump with reversing his earlier remarks (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: The campaign of Vice President Harris is intensifying its criticism of former president Donald Trump, charging that he has changed his position on the next presidential debate.

In a statement, Harris' campaign communications director Michael Tyler stated that she would attend the ABC debate on September 10th, which both President Joe Biden and Trump had previously promised to, regardless of the former president's presence.

WILMINGTON, DELAWARE - AUGUST 19: Democratic vice presidential nominee U.S. Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA
Kamala Harris' campaign doubled down on Donald Trump's attendance at the next presidential debate (Getty Images)

Kamala Harris' spokesperson Michael Tyler challenges Donald Trump's presence in second presidential debate

“As Vice President Harris said last week, the American people deserve to hear from the two candidates running for the highest office in the land and she will do that at September’s ABC debate,” Michael Tyler said, per The Hill.

“If Donald Trump and his team are saying anything other than ‘we’ll see you there,’ — and it appears that they are — it’s a convenient, but expected backtrack from Team Trump. Vice President Harris will be there on September 10th — we’ll see if Trump shows,” he added.

DETROIT, MI - OCTOBER 25: Democratic U.S. Vice Presidential nominee Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA) speaks
Kamala Harris became the Democratic Party's front-runner for the upcoming presidential election after Joe Biden stepped down from the race due to health concerns (Getty Images)

What did Donald Trump's senior advisor Jason Miller say?

Donald Trump's senior advisor Jason Miller on Sunday, July 28, told MSNBC that “of course” Trump will debate the Democratic nominee, but that Democrats “need to pick who their ultimate nominee is going to be, that needs to be formalized before we go and lock in all the debates.”

In response to Miller, MSNBC host Chris Jansing stated that Trump had consented to debates even before the GOP nominee was officially announced. Miller replied that Democrats need to “lock in” Harris.

Republican presidential candidate former President Donald Trump arrives for a rally at Festival Park on June 18, 2024 in Racine, Wisconsin. This is Trump's third visit to Wisconsin, a key swing state in 2024. (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)
Donald Trump's official confirmed that the ex-POTUS will debate Kamala Harris (Getty Images)

Kamala Harris said she was 'ready to go' for a debate last week

Last week, Kamala Harris declared herself "ready to go" for a debate and charged Donald Trump with reversing his earlier remarks that he might not want to take part in the scheduled ABC discussion.

Trump was also portrayed by her campaign as "scared" of the event.

Donald Trump claimed he would 'absolutely' debate Kamala Harris

Donald Trump indicated to reporters on Tuesday that he would "absolutely" debate Kamala Harris, but he might not be able to make it to the ABC program.

On Thursday, his team announced that it would not consent to a debate with Harris in the general election until the Democrats had officially selected their nominee.

Democrats are poised to formally nominate Harris through a roll call vote as early as Thursday, since she has garnered the endorsement of a sufficient number of delegates to be the nominee.

U.S. Republican Presidential nominee former President Donald Trump speaks to attendees during his campaign rally at the Bojangles Coliseum on July 24, 2024 in Charlotte, North Carolina. The rally is the former president's first since President Joe Biden announced he would be ending his reelection bid. (Photo by Brandon Bell/Getty Images)
Donald Trump indicated he might not be able to make it to the second presidential debate against Kamala Harris (Getty Images)

Internet asserts Donald Trump 'is too much of a coward to show up'

Netizens berated the former president as they claimed that he would not properly show up at the September debate against Kamala Harris.

This new development comes after Joe Biden turned down the offer to participate in the Fox News debate that was scheduled to take place later this year. 

One X user tweeted, "Trump is too much of a coward to show up. He knows Kamala will beat him."

Another wrote, "This makes me so happy. If the lying felon chickens out, they need to just turn it into a campaign event for VP Harris."

"Would love it if she stood on stage looking at her watch waiting for Trump," remarked one. 

"He won’t show. Give her a chance to speak without interference!" wrote someone else.



 



 



 



 

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

MORE STORIES

Elissa Slotkin’s comment about the federal troops was based on the alleged comment Trump made
3 hours ago
Trump claims 'radical left' aides signed 92% of orders without Biden's approval
7 hours ago
USCIS ordered reexamination of Green Cards from ‘countries of concern’ after the DC guard attack, following Donald Trump’s proclamation on 19 nations
1 day ago
The coalition of 21 Democratic attorneys general argued that the new guidance unlawfully barred lawful residents, refugees, and asylum seekers from SNAP
2 days ago
America's 'historic' deportation numbers will surge in January 2026 as ICE prepares to deploy newly hired agents, claims Tom Homan
3 days ago
Starting in 2026, visitors will see digital passes, new 'America-first' pricing, as well as artwork featuring Trump
3 days ago
Pete Hegseth says that providing aid to the Scouts could 'harm military readiness'
3 days ago
The bill would raise City Council pay to $172,500 and increase Zohran Mamdani’s salary to nearly $300,000, with a vote expected in January
3 days ago
Mayor Muriel Bowser announced on X she will not seek a fourth term, ending her decade in office in January 2027
3 days ago
AOC said Trump’s language was 'not just shocking' but 'bizarre', 'erratic', and 'volatile'
4 days ago