‘Maybe at some point’: Trump leaves door open to Iran talks after denying negotiations

Trump’s comments follow Tuesday’s denial of talks and come as the June deal remains stalled
President Donald Trump in the Oval Office of the White House, Monday, Aug. 10, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
President Donald Trump in the Oval Office of the White House, Monday, Aug. 10, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)


WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump said Wednesday, August 19, that negotiations with Iran could resume “maybe at some point,” a day after saying no talks were taking place or scheduled.

The United States and Iran had signed a June memorandum aimed at ending hostilities and paving the way for a broader agreement.

Trump made the comments to reporters about Iran, repeating his claim of “complete control” of the Strait of Hormuz.

Trump leaves door open to renewed Iran talks

Trump said the situation concerning Iran was “so good” when asked whether negotiations could resume, adding that talks might restart “maybe at some point.”

His comments came one day after he posted that there were “no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran.” 

He also said the naval blockade of Iranian ports remained “in full force and effect.”

The latest comments mark a change from Tuesday’s stated position, which followed Trump’s claim Monday that the United States was engaged in back-channel conversations with Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps. 

Tehran rejected that claim.

President Donald Trump speaks to a rally at Wheeler High School in Marietta, Ga., Wednesday, July 22, 2026. (AP Photo/Erik S. Lesser)
President Donald Trump speaks to a rally at Wheeler High School in Marietta, Ga, Wednesday, July 22, 2026 (AP Photo/Erik S. Lesser)

A US official separately told Al Jazeera that “positive talks” with Iran had been ongoing, but said Trump had “decided to wait” and instructed his negotiating team to hold off until Tehran was “ready to make a deal.” 

The official said there was “no conflict” in the administration’s position. 

Trump again sets nuclear demand for Iran

Trump also said Iran could not be allowed to have a nuclear weapon, saying, “They have to get rid of completely. They have to get rid of no nuclear weapon.”

He added: “Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon. You know why? Cause they'd use it, and we're not going to let them use it. So Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon, and they won't.”

The June memorandum of understanding was intended to end the war and create a path toward a broader agreement, but it later broke down amid mutual accusations of violations and renewed hostilities.

Diplomatic efforts have since failed to produce a breakthrough on reopening the Strait of Hormuz or restarting negotiations toward a broader agreement.

Iranian Red Crescent emergency workers use a bulldozer to clear rubble from a residential building that was hit in an earlier U.S.-Israeli strike in Tehran, Iran, Monday, March 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)
Iranian Red Crescent emergency workers use a bulldozer to clear rubble from a residential building that was hit in an earlier US-Israeli strike in Tehran, Iran, Monday, March 23, 2026 (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)

Hormuz remains tied to the negotiations

Trump also reiterated Wednesday that the United States has “possession, complete control of the Strait (of Hormuz),” while describing Iranian drone attacks as having “nuisance value.”

On Tuesday, Trump had insisted that the waterway remained open and operating, saying all water mines had been removed or detonated.

He also posted a map of the strait captioned “New US Territory.”

Iran has maintained that Hormuz would remain closed until Washington met the terms of the June memorandum. 

ARABIAN SEA - APRIL 20: (EDITOR'S NOTE: This Handout image was provided by a third-party organization and may not adhere to Getty Images' editorial policy.) In this handout photo provided by U.S. Central Command, U.S. forces patrol the Arabian Sea near M/V Touska on April 20, 2026, after firing upon the Iranian-flagged vessel that the U.S. accused of attempting to violate the U.S. naval blockade of Iranian ports near the Strait of Hormuz. (Handout Photo by the U.S. Navy via Getty Images)
US Central Command, US forces patrol the Arabian Sea near M/V Touska on April 20, 2026, after firing upon the Iranian-flagged vessel that the US accused of attempting to violate the US naval blockade of Iranian ports near the Strait of Hormuz . (U.S. Navy via Getty Images)

Iranian negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said those conditions included lifting the blockade of Iranian ports, lifting oil sanctions, releasing Tehran’s frozen assets, and ending threats and military operations on all fronts, Aljazeera reported.

Qatar said Tuesday that mediators were awaiting an expected Iran-Oman deal before pushing Washington and Tehran to resume talks, the report said.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

President Donald Trump says he plans to meet Kim Jong Un again and claims North Korea has 57 ‘very powerful’ nuclear weapons
1 hour ago
After Cory Mills' defeat, President Donald Trump shifted his support to Ryan Elijah, who became the Republican nominee for Florida's 7th District
1 hour ago
Nikki Haley, who backs opponent Ralph Norman, criticized Darline Graham Nordone's response, saying national security 'is not something you inherit'
2 hours ago
Comey's lawyers rejected the DOJ's interpretation and asked the judge to dismiss the case, arguing the post was protected speech, not a 'true threat'
2 hours ago
The reported courtship comes as Trump weighs several contenders for the high-profile White House role
3 hours ago
Heidi Overton has helped shape Trump’s health policies and faced criticism from MAHA advocates over several administration initiatives
10 hours ago
The UN-authorized Omani route is opposed by Iran, but vessels increasingly use it despite risks, relying on US naval forces for protection
12 hours ago
David Morens admitted to using a personal email account to conduct government business and circumvent federal public-records laws
13 hours ago
The USS Benfold lost power in the South China Sea, disrupting water, food, air conditioning and toilets before it was towed to the Philippines
15 hours ago
Haley Van Erem alleges some university investigations lacked evidence of Title VI violations and were steered toward settlements
16 hours ago