Megyn Kelly says she had armed bodyguards at Virginia Tech event after Charlie Kirk’s killing

Megyn Kelly shared that Virginia Gov Glenn Youngkin’s security team guarded the event, which took place days after Charlie Kirk’s September 10 killing
PUBLISHED OCT 8, 2025
Megyn Kelly discussed attending a campus event at Virginia Tech after Charlie Kirk's tragic killing on Miranda Devine's 'Pod Force One' podcast (Pod Force One with Miranda Devine/YouTube, Getty Images)
Megyn Kelly discussed attending a campus event at Virginia Tech after Charlie Kirk's tragic killing on Miranda Devine's 'Pod Force One' podcast (Pod Force One with Miranda Devine/YouTube, Getty Images)

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA: Megyn Kelly has opened up about receiving armed protection during a recent college campus event in Virginia, just weeks after the tragic killing of Turning Point USA founder Charlie Kirk.

The former Fox News prime time host shared the details in a new conversation with Miranda Devine on her 'Pod Force One' podcast, recalling that she had been scheduled to appear alongside Kirk at Virginia Tech for Turning Point’s 'American Comeback Tour'.

Kirk was fatally shot on September 10 at the Utah Valley University campus, leaving conservative circles reeling. 

“I was booked the next week or two weeks later to be on campus with Charlie as part of his college tour,” Kelly shared. “And he was booked a couple of weeks after that to come with me on my tour.”



 

Megyn Kelly praises Gov Glenn Youngkin for his ‘class act’ gesture

When Megyn Kelly arrived at Burruss Hall on September 24, she said she was deeply moved by the support shown by Virginia Governor Glenn Youngkin, who also attended the event.

“God bless Glenn Youngkin, the great, great outgoing governor of Virginia, because he was there, too,” Kelly said. “He came with a bunch of security because he’s the governor and he had the guys, like the s**t-kicking guys … with the camo and the helmets and the big, serious ammo across their bodies.”

According to the conservative commentator, Youngkin, who left before she did, made an extraordinary gesture as he departed.

“He left all those guys behind, saying, ‘You stay here and you take care of Megyn,’ which he totally didn’t have to do. But what a class act,” she shared, praising the governor as a “sweetheart” for ensuring her safety.


 

Megyn Kelly says canceling was never an option 

Following the shocking loss of Charlie Kirk, Megyn Kelly admitted that she had to think seriously about the risks of continuing her public tour.

“It was a heavy realization when it dawned on me that I was booked… and then he was supposed to come with me on my tour,” she told Devine.

Despite her husband’s “strong thoughts” about the potential danger, Kelly said canceling was never an option.

“There was zero part of me that could not do it,” she said firmly.

She revealed that she hired her own top-tier security team to protect both the audience and staff members, explaining, “I just wanted to make sure that the people who come to see me and my guests [are] absolutely safe and not even have it be a thought.”

WEST PALM BEACH, FLORIDA—JULY 26: Charlie Kirk, who founded Turning Point USA, speaks before former President Donald Trump's arrival during a Turning Point USA Believers Summit conference at the Palm Beach Convention Center on July 26, 2024 in West Palm Beach, Florida. Trump had earlier in the day met with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at Mar-a-Lago. (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
Charlie Kirk, who founded Turning Point USA, speaks before former President Donald Trump's arrival during a Turning Point USA Believers Summit conference at the Palm Beach Convention Center on July 26, 2024, in West Palm Beach, Florida (Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

Megyn Kelly asserts 'an assassin’s bullet is not going to silence any of us'

The journalist acknowledged that her first appearance after Carlie Kirk’s death felt “odd” at first, but she quickly found strength in the crowd’s response.

Since resuming her tour, Kelly said ticket sales have soared, with venues selling out across the country. “People are rushing to buy the tickets,” she shared, adding that audiences are rallying together to show resilience.

“An assassin’s bullet is not going to silence any of us,” Kelly declared.

“You should always take risks, even if you’re not a courageous person, because the more risks you take, they either pan out and then you feel like, oh, that wasn’t so bad, or they don’t pan out, and then you literally only have to do one thing, keep going,” she added. 

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Minnesota BCA condemns ‘unprecedented’ FBI noncooperation, blocks access to investigation files
5 hours ago
Trump says DOJ will seek death penalty if Savannah Guthrie’s mother is harmed
6 hours ago
Media executive reveals fourth ransom letter claims anchor’s mother taken south
7 hours ago
Attorney General Pam Bondi releases 300-name Epstein list, says inclusion isn't wrongdoing
8 hours ago
The revived ICE task force model, which had ended in 2012 over profiling concerns, offered equipment funding and incentives to departments that joined
8 hours ago
Sheriff Chris Nanos calls the suspect’s backpack one of the strongest leads
9 hours ago
James Heidorn calls leaving his 14-year teaching career 'devastating' after community backlash over his personal ICE support
17 hours ago
Hillary Clinton outlined arming Ukraine with missiles, while Petr Macinka urged calm dialogue and rejected labeling opponents 'fascist'
17 hours ago
Sources say Savannah Guthrie may leave 'Today' after her mother’s Tucson abduction, fearing her job may have made her a target
17 hours ago
The former president and first lady cheered courtside with daughter Sasha while enjoying the All-Star Game and sharing family moments
17 hours ago