Nancy Mace jokes her ‘revenge’ on Trump is joining unemployment line after crushing primary loss

Nancy Mace joked that Trump ‘ended’ her political career after South Carolina primary defeat
Nancy Mace reacted with humor after her gubernatorial primary defeat and addressed her future plans (Getty Images)
Nancy Mace reacted with humor after her gubernatorial primary defeat and addressed her future plans (Getty Images)

COLUMBIA, SOUTH CAROLINA: Rep Nancy Mace took a swipe at President Donald Trump after her disappointing finish in South Carolina's Republican gubernatorial primary, joking that her "revenge" would be joining the nation's unemployment rolls when her congressional term ends.

The South Carolina Republican made the remark Thursday on X after finishing fifth in Tuesday's gubernatorial primary race.

Trump had endorsed Lt. Gov. Pamela Evette, who advanced to a June 23 runoff against state Attorney General Alan Wilson.



Nancy Mace jokes about unemployment after Trump-backed candidate advances

Mace said she had been asked whether she planned to "get revenge on Trump" for allegedly "ending" her political career.

"The answer is yes," she wrote. "I'll be adding to the unemployment number in January."

Rep. Nancy Mace (R-SC) walks off the House floor before a vote on the Republican budget plan at the U.S. Capitol on April 10, 2025 in Washington, DC. U.S. Speaker of the House Mike Johnson (R-LA) said that U.S. President Donald Trump didn't get involved in getting support from fiscally conservative Republican members who were against the plan. (Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
Nancy Mace  walks off the House floor before a vote on the Republican budget plan at the US Capitol on April 10, 2025 in Washington, DC (Getty Images)

While the comment was clearly tongue-in-cheek, it indicated the political blow she suffered after failing to gain traction in the gubernatorial contest.

Mace has since indicated that she plans to leave politics when her congressional term expires in January 2027 and return to the private sector.

Before entering public office, she founded a public relations firm and worked in local news.

Nancy Mace vows to be ‘more of a menace than ever’

The congresswoman later responded to a social media post from comedian and actor Rob Schneider, making clear she has no intention of quietly serving out the remainder of her term.

"Don't worry sir, I promise to be more of a menace than ever," Mace wrote. "There is nothing to hold me back."



Mace has represented South Carolina's 1st Congressional District since January 2021 and became the first Republican woman ever elected to Congress from the state.

Throughout her time in Washington, she has frequently broken with fellow Republicans and built a reputation as one of the party's more independent voices.

Nancy Mace says she stood on principle over Jeffrey Epstein files

One issue that has put Mace at odds with some Republicans is her push for greater transparency regarding files tied to convicted financier Jeffrey Epstein.

She was among four Republicans who signed a discharge petition to force a House vote on the Epstein Files Transparency Act and has repeatedly called on the Justice Department to release all records related to Epstein.

WASHINGTON, DC - NOVEMBER 02: Rep. Nancy Mace (R-SC) departs a House Republican Conference meeting at the U.S. Capitol on November 2, 2023 in Washington, DC. House Republicans held a conference meeting to discuss the party agenda. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
Nancy Mace departs a House Republican Conference meeting at the US Capitol on November 2, 2023 in Washington, DC (Getty Images)

In March, she also introduced a resolution seeking to subpoena former Attorney General Pam Bondi as part of a congressional probe into the matter.

Following her primary defeat, Mace suggested her stance may have come with political consequences.

Mace, who has previously spoken about being a survivor of abuse, said Tuesday that she "chose to stand on principle" on the Epstein issue, even if it cost her political support.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Loomer’s strongest objection was directed at the suggestion that Harp and Trump are romantically involved
46 minutes ago
The suspect was also reportedly refused service at a Dunkin’ while wearing the unusual mask
1 hour ago
English acknowledged that he had traveled to Washington with the intention of killing a government official
2 hours ago
Zimmerman rejected the suggestion that the blow happened merely as part of a struggle with security
4 hours ago
The store, described as a family-owned operation, was left dealing with the consequences after the crowd departed
5 hours ago
Disney has sued the FCC over early ABC license reviews, alleging retaliation by the Trump administration and warning that scrutiny is affecting political programming
6 hours ago
An 11-year-old boy criticized Donald Trump and referenced Jeffrey Epstein as he explained his anger toward the president in the widely shared footage
12 hours ago
'Hes with me every day even when I’m not thinking about him, he’s certainly part of my heart,' Jill Biden shared
13 hours ago
Melania Trump’s diplomatic outreach has focused on children separated from loved ones during the Russia-Ukraine war, using back-channel communication
14 hours ago
Hunter Tirpak stole the spotlight at Donald Trump’s 2016 Pennsylvania rally after arriving dressed as a miniature Trump and being picked up by him
14 hours ago