Netanyahu denies reports of split with Trump: 'Hate to disappoint our would-be critics'

Benjamin Netanyahu said he and Donald Trump shared the goal of stopping Iran from getting nuclear weapons despite reports of tensions
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu dismissed reports of a rift with President Donald Trump, calling their first Oval Office meeting since the Iran war productive (Israel Government Press Office)
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu dismissed reports of a rift with President Donald Trump, calling their first Oval Office meeting since the Iran war productive (Israel Government Press Office)

WASHINGTON, DC: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu forcefully rejected suggestions that his relationship with President Donald Trump had frayed, telling reporters after their first Oval Office meeting since jointly launching the war against Iran that critics looking for daylight between the two allies would come away disappointed.

The nearly hour-and-a-half closed-door meeting was the two leaders' first face-to-face sit-down since they launched the joint war against Iran on February 28.

Trump-Netanyahu alliance faced growing strains 

"One of the best meetings that we've had," Netanyahu said. "I always hate to disappoint our would-be critics who are trying to find cracks in our alliance. And what they find like today is a wall of granite.”



“We have a common commitment. We don't want to see this fanatic regime in Tehran have nuclear weapons. We have a common goal, and it's gonna be achieved."

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt called the meeting "positive and productive," while Trump, in a social media post hours later, described it as a "very good meeting" where "many important subjects were discussed," without offering further details.

Netanyahu continued to emphasize unity, even as tensions between him and Trump had become increasingly apparent before the visit.



After the April ceasefire fell apart, Netanyahu began losing his influence over Trump's Iran policy. In mid-June, Trump signed a memorandum of understanding with Tehran despite Netanyahu's objections. Netanyahu was unable to persuade him to continue taking a harder line against Iran's military.

Trump and Netanyahu showed signs of division 

Two weeks ago, Netanyahu also failed to persuade Trump to abandon a deal to sell F-35 fighter jets to Turkey.

Asked whether he and Netanyahu remained aligned on Iran, Trump offered a hedged answer: "We have a little difference. But pretty close, yeah." 

He was sharper hours before meeting, dismissing reports that Netanyahu planned to brief him on Iranian nuclear activity at a site known as Pickaxe Mountain. 

Speaking to 'Fox & Friends,' Trump said, "I know exactly what's going on at Pickaxe," before adding, "Why do you have to announce it to the world?"



Israeli commentators openly described Netanyahu's position as weakened.

"The Americans are making it clear to the Israelis they are the ones who are running the war," Israeli political analyst Amit Segal wrote in Israel Hayom, adding, "It is clear to everyone that Israel has been put in the back seat."

Maariv commentator Ben Caspit was even more blunt, writing after the visit, "We've lost America. Thank you, Bibi."

Netanyahu meets Trump before Iran missile attack

Netanyahu's office released photos of him and Trump smiling together in the Oval Office, flanked by Vice President JD Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth.

Later that day, Netanyahu joined Trump and Vance at Senator Lindsey Graham's funeral, where he chatted with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. Zelenskyy had met with Trump earlier that day. 



Just hours after Netanyahu's meeting with Trump, Iran fired a series of ballistic missiles at US forces in the Middle East. The US military said it intercepted every missile, but the attack underscored the region's continued instability, even as Washington sought to project a united front.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump rejected claims that November's midterm elections influenced his approach to the conflict, saying they had 'nothing to do' with his thinking
1 day ago
A Wall Street Journal report says Iran used the diplomatic window to strengthen the IRGC, rebuild weapons capacity and prepare for wider conflict
1 day ago
Donald Trump cited cost, diplomacy with Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s Iran stance as the Pentagon reduced US participation in annual military drills
2 days ago
Iranian Army chief Amir Hatami said the reward was created after a surge in requests from Iranians seeking to join the conflict
2 days ago
Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran would decide when the strategic waterway opens or closes, rejecting Washington’s claim of control
4 days ago
Iran said the United States must pledge never to threaten Tehran again and permanently end its war with Iran and its regional allies
Aug 9, 2026
Kazem Gharibabadi said negotiations were essential as inflation hit 88.6% and Iran’s oil exports faced mounting disruption
Aug 9, 2026
Iran said the Strait of Hormuz would remain closed until the US ended military action, lifted sanctions, and withdrew its forces
Aug 8, 2026
Reza Valizadeh also revealed that Iranian authorities have prevented his family from visiting him for five months, which he believes is punishment
Aug 8, 2026
Ron Dermer served as Israel’s ambassador to the US from 2013 to 2021 and later worked as Benjamin Netanyahu’s strategic affairs minister
Aug 8, 2026