Newsom seeks help from Trump after ‘critically positive’ breakthrough in chemical tank crisis

Newsom formally requested a federal emergency declaration as the Garden Grove incident dragged into its fifth day
Gavin Newsom turned to President Donald Trump for help as crews race to contain the chemical emergency unfolding in Orange County (Getty Images)
Gavin Newsom turned to President Donald Trump for help as crews race to contain the chemical emergency unfolding in Orange County (Getty Images)

GARDEN GROVE, CALIFORNIA: Gavin Newsom has turned to President Donald Trump for help as crews race to contain the chemical emergency unfolding in Orange County, even as officials say a newly discovered crack in the troubled tank may have bought them some time.

The governor formally requested a federal emergency declaration as the Garden Grove incident dragged into its fifth day, with thousands of residents still unable to return home and authorities refusing to declare the danger over.

A crack in the tank changes the playbook

Officials revealed Sunday that crews inspecting the chemical container found a crack that may be easing internal pressure.

The tank contains methyl methacrylate, a flammable chemical widely used in plastics and manufacturing. Since Friday, California officials have been operating in crisis mode over fears the container could rupture.

Experts had warned that a failure could release as much as 7,000 gallons of toxic material into nearby areas or trigger an explosion capable of threatening additional parts of the GKN Aerospace site and damaging surrounding homes and businesses.

Newsom’s office confirmed the state is now seeking federal backing.

“Gavin Newsom submitted an Emergency Declaration request to President Trump to support ongoing response operations in Garden Grove, where state and local officials are actively managing an ongoing chemical incident,” Newsom’s press office said Sunday.



Earlier in the day, Orange County Fire Authority interim fire chief TJ McGovern outlined what crews discovered after entering the site overnight.

“We developed a plan to go do an operation last night, late night to go get eyes and do a reconnaissance on the tank," he revealed. "During that operation, our firefighters went in and they were able to visualize the tank. What they found was a potential crack in the tank, which could potentially be relieving some of the pressure in there."

"With this new information, it could change our trajectory and our strategy to this event. Last night was a successful operation for this emerging incidence in this ongoing incident," McGovern added.

Officials later described the development as a “critically positive” moment. McGovern said engineers and hazardous materials specialists are now carefully verifying the crack and reassessing whether the structural change actually lowers the overall threat level.



Tens of thousands remain displaced as crews hold the line

For roughly 50,000 people caught inside the mandatory evacuation zone, the update did little to change the reality on the ground.

Residents remained scattered across hotels, crowded shelters, and the homes of friends and family Sunday night while authorities continued monitoring the site.

McGovern acknowledged the strain but said safety remains the deciding factor.

“I know this is a disruption. Your protection, your life safety is our paramount responsibility right now," he explained. "We know you’re out of your homes. We want to get you back, but we cannot do that until it’s deemed safe.”

Officials said the tank’s internal temperature reached 90F on Saturday, while crews continued working around the clock to stabilize it below 85F.



Despite the discovery of the crack, air-quality sensors stationed around the site have not detected any toxic releases.

Emergency teams were also preparing for the possibility of a spill, exploring ways to dike, dam, and divert any escaping liquid into a containment area on-site rather than allowing it to flow into storm drains, river channels, or eventually the ocean.

Health officials said they remain concerned that prolonged exposure to vapor from the chemical could cause severe respiratory problems.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

President Trump said America's energy surge weakened Hormuz's leverage as a covert US operation reportedly kept millions of barrels moving
1 hour ago
Fed officials say stubborn inflation may force the central bank to raise rates, putting renewed pressure on borrowers and the economy
3 hours ago
Melania Trump is expected Thursday at a Rose Garden event after weeks out of public view
3 hours ago
'We don't believe we have to go to Congress. We believe Congress has already given us the authority to do what we’re doing', Todd Blanche said
4 hours ago
Trump’s comments follow Tuesday’s denial of talks and come as the June deal remains stalled
6 hours ago
President Donald Trump says he plans to meet Kim Jong Un again and claims North Korea has 57 ‘very powerful’ nuclear weapons
6 hours ago
After Cory Mills' defeat, President Donald Trump shifted his support to Ryan Elijah, who became the Republican nominee for Florida's 7th District
6 hours ago
Nikki Haley, who backs opponent Ralph Norman, criticized Darline Graham Nordone's response, saying national security 'is not something you inherit'
7 hours ago
Comey's lawyers rejected the DOJ's interpretation and asked the judge to dismiss the case, arguing the post was protected speech, not a 'true threat'
7 hours ago
The reported courtship comes as Trump weighs several contenders for the high-profile White House role
8 hours ago