Nikki Haley requests Secret Service protection after surge in threats on campaign trail, Internet deems it 'a waste'

Nikki Haley is the only remaining GOP opponent to former President Donald Trump, who has emerged as the clear frontrunner
Nikki Haley has applied for Secret Service protection after an increase in threats (Getty Images)
Nikki Haley has applied for Secret Service protection after an increase in threats (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON DC: Republican presidential candidate Nikki Haley has requested Secret Service protection in response to a surge in threats she is encountering on the campaign trail, as confirmed by her campaign spokesperson to Fox News, reported New York Post.

The former South Carolina governor is the only remaining GOP opponent to ex-President Donald Trump, who is the clear frontrunner at present.

Speaking to The Wall Street Journal after a campaign event in Aiken, South Carolina, on Monday, February 5, Haley said, "We've had multiple issues. It's not going to stop me from doing what I need to do."

CLEVELAND, OH - JULY 21:  Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump delivers a speech during th
Former President Donald Trump is leading the Republican presidential primary polls (Getty Images)

The GOP presidential primary narrowed down into a two-person race after Florida Governor Ron DeSantis dropped out on January 21.

Nikki Haley says increased security has not affected her campaign

Haley's campaign had increased security lately. When asked about the same during a news conference in Columbia, South Carolina, last week, the former UN ambassador acknowledged receiving threats for what she is doing now and said that it was "just the reality".

"Part of running for public life is that you're going to deal with the threats that are there. That's not going to deter me," Haley said to reporters. "Does it mean we have to put a few more bodies around us? Yes, that's fine."


 
 
 
 
 
View this post on Instagram
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by Nikki Haley (@nikkihaley)


 

Hours after the press conference, a heckler was ejected from her Hilton Head, South Carolina campaign event.

Based on a CNN report, the Secretary of Homeland Security authorizes the Secret Service protection after consulting with a congressional advisory committee.

Independent presidential candidate Robert Kennedy Jr also requested Secret Service protection, which was denied.

WASHINGTON, DC - AUGUST 10:  U.S. Secret Service officers stand guard outside of the James Brady Pre
Secret Service protection should be approved by Secretary of Homeland Security (Getty Images)

Haley, after losing to Trump in Iowa and New Hampshire, will face Trump in the primary in her home state, South Carolina, on February 24. According to FiveThirtyEight's opinion polls analysis, the former President is leading ahead of her with a dominant majority.

Internet reacts to Nikki Haley's request

Social media users mocked the former UN Ambassador's request for protection, saying it would become a waste once she drops out of the campaign. Some users expressed their frustration, suggesting she should pay for it and not for the American people.

One user wrote, "What a joke and a waste."



 

Another user mocked Haley, saying, "She wants secret service so she has people at her campaign events."



 

"Seems like a waste for just three weeks?" a third user added.

Another response read, "There's no need to threaten her, she's going to lose big anyway."



 



 

One user opined, "She can afford to pay it herself. The American people shouldn’t have to foot the bill for her protection."



 

"A bit ambitious, she's already planning on wasting taxpayer funds before she drops out," a sixth user said.



 

Another added, "She needs to stop making herself seem more important than she actually is.."



 

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump described the suspect as someone with a 'violent history' and an 'obsession' with the White House
53 minutes ago
Mike Johnson expressed optimism about the development, calling it a sign of strong leadership and saying the US is now more secure under Trump
1 hour ago
The fund was unveiled last week after President Trump announced he would withdraw his $10 billion lawsuit against the IRS
1 hour ago
Ted Cruz warned that a deal allowing Tehran access to funds or nuclear development could strengthen a hostile regime
1 hour ago
Former Kamala Harris aides reportedly dismissed a 2028 run, with one adviser calling it 'obviously a bad idea'
1 hour ago
Robert Gevertzman, who died in March 2025 at 75, landed the Democratic ticket for next month’s primaries
2 hours ago
RFK Jr called the move 'sinister', questioning why the agency had not fully released the records despite a 1992 law mandating their disclosure by 2025
3 hours ago
White House shooting drew bipartisan condemnation as officials praised Secret Service response
3 hours ago
Lindsey Graham warned an Iran deal could make Tehran appear stronger if it still threatens Gulf oil infrastructure
4 hours ago
The proposed framework could start fresh negotiations over Iran’s nuclear program
4 hours ago