Obama issues rare response to Trump’s 'bizarre' 2016 election conspiracy: 'Weak attempt at distraction'

'These bizarre allegations are ridiculous and a weak attempt at distraction,' Barack Obama's spokesperson said
PUBLISHED JUL 23, 2025
Barack Obama's office issued a rare response to a new series of accusations from Donald Trump (Getty Images)
Barack Obama's office issued a rare response to a new series of accusations from Donald Trump (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: In a rare and pointed response, former President Barack Obama’s office has pushed back against explosive accusations from President Donald Trump and Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard. At the center of the controversy is Gabbard’s claim that the Obama administration orchestrated a conspiracy to sabotage Trump’s 2016 election victory.

Obama spokesperson Patrick Rodenbush swiftly dismissed the allegations as “outrageous,” “bizarre,” and a clear attempt to distract the public.

Gabbard went further, labeling Obama’s actions a “treasonous conspiracy” involving the fabrication of intelligence on Russian election interference, claims Trump has publicly echoed, insisting Obama was “caught” trying to rig the vote. 



 

Barack Obama's office responds to series of new accusations from Donald Trump

Barack Obama’s office released a rare public statement on Tuesday, July 22, in response to a series of new accusations from Donald Trump, who alleged criminal conduct by Obama and members of his administration.

The statement, issued by Obama spokesperson Patrick Rodenbush, read: “Out of respect for the office of the presidency, our office does not normally dignify the constant nonsense and misinformation flowing out of this White House with a response. But these claims are outrageous enough to merit one. These bizarre allegations are ridiculous and a weak attempt at distraction.”

U.S. President Donald Trump arrives for a signing ceremony for the “GENIUS Act” in the East Room of the White House July 18, 2025 in Washington, DC. The act, formally known as the Guiding and Establishing National Innovation for U.S. Stablecoins Act, was passed this week by the U.S. Congress.. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump arrives for a signing ceremony for the 'GENIUS Act' in the East Room of the White House July 18, 2025 in Washington, DC. The act, formally known as the Guiding and Establishing National Innovation for US Stablecoins Act, was passed this week by the US Congress (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

The statement continued: “Nothing in the document issued last week undercuts the widely accepted conclusion that Russia worked to influence the 2016 presidential election but did not successfully manipulate any votes. These findings were affirmed in a 2020 report by the bipartisan Senate Intelligence Committee, led by then-Chairman Marco Rubio."

Tulsi Gabbard and Donald Trump escalate claims of 2016 election conspiracy

The unusual statement from Barack Obama’s office followed a criminal referral sent by Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard to the Department of Justice on Monday, July 21. The referral alleged a conspiracy by the Obama administration to undermine Donald Trump’s 2016 election victory and his presidency.

On the following day, July 22, Trump addressed the issue himself, claiming, “The witch hunt that you should be talking about is they caught President Obama. What they did to this country in 2016, starting in 2016 but going up to 2020 of the election, they tried to rig the election and they got caught.”

He added, “There should be very severe consequences for that. When we caught Hillary Clinton, I said, you know what, let’s not go too far here. It’s the ex-wife of a president and I thought it was sort of terrible."

Trump concluded, “I let her off the hook and I’m very happy I did. But it’s time to start, after what they did to me and whether it’s the right or wrong, it’s time to go after people. Obama has been caught directly."   

PHOENIX, ARIZONA - NOVEMBER 02: Former U.S. President Barack Obama delivers remarks at a campaign event for Arizona Democrats at Cesar Chavez High School on November 02, 2022 in Phoenix, Arizona. Obama campaigned for Sen. Mark Kelly (D-AZ) and Democratic gubernatorial nominee Katie Hobbs. (Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
Former President Barack Obama delivers remarks at a campaign event for Arizona Democrats at Cesar Chavez High School on November 02, 2022 in Phoenix, Arizona. Obama campaigned for Senator Mark Kelly (D-AZ) and Democratic gubernatorial nominee Katie Hobbs (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)                     

Earlier that same weekend, during a July 19 morning segment on Fox News, Gabbard accused Obama and his team of orchestrating what she called a “manufactured piece of intelligence” outlining how Russia attempted to influence the 2016 election that Trump won. She described these actions as part of a “treasonous conspiracy.”

However, Fox News contributor and conservative legal analyst Andy McCarthy rejected Gabbard’s claims in a recent National Review column, calling them “misleading” and questioning whether she has even read the intelligence reports produced by Trump’s own CIA.

Barack Obama's rare statement sparks discussion online

After Barack Obama issued a rare statement in response to Donald Trump’s flurry of attacks, many internet users quickly took to social media to share their reactions.

One user wrote, “The Obama office has a thousand times more credibility than any Trump official, including of course Trump himself.”



 

Another commenter declared, “Obama in panic mode.”



 

An enraged user tweeted, “What a clown. The committee didn’t have access to these docs. Obama needs to be arrested.”



 

Someone joked, “This can only end in a boxing match with Obama vs Trump.”



 

An X user wrote, “No comment by Obama? Only a cover statement by a press secretary. Protecting himself from self-incriminating.”



 

Another person added, “Obama is seriously desperate.”



 

This article contains remarks made on the internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online. 

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

DeWine calls for 'Nixon to China' shift to expand legal immigration pathways
1 hour ago
Governor Mike Braun said the court addressed a constitutional issue but insisted that tariffs remained vital to correcting decades of trade imbalance
2 hours ago
Treasury secretary: Court ruling narrow; administration has tools to maintain tariffs
2 hours ago
The administration will shift to Sections 301 and 232 to replace emergency levies, which Greer called 'durable tools' for lasting tariff enforcement
5 hours ago
Josh Shapiro says president’s tariffs, immigration actions hurt Americans, raise legal concerns
5 hours ago
Agents, deputies fatally shoot armed suspect at Mar-a-Lago during breach attempt at perimeters
7 hours ago
Travelers will face longer security and customs lines as officers shift to general screening during the partial shutdown now entering its second week
7 hours ago
Zohran Mamdani urged New Yorkers to step in as emergency snow shovelers as the city braces for a blizzard that could dump nearly two feet of snow
13 hours ago
At the Governors Dinner, Trump playfully singled out Abbott’s pricey requests while highlighting his influence in Texas politics
13 hours ago
Kaitlan Collins suggested the banner blurred the traditional boundary between the White House and the Justice Department
14 hours ago