'Operation Absolute Resolve' used 150 aircraft in overnight mission to seize Venezuela's Maduro

'Operation Absolute Resolve' combined all military branches and intelligence agencies, highlighting US's ability to coordinate complex global actions
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Dan Caine speaks during a press conference with US President Donald Trump at the Mar-a-Lago club on Saturday, January 03, 2026, in Palm Beach, Florida (Getty Images)
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Dan Caine speaks during a press conference with US President Donald Trump at the Mar-a-Lago club on Saturday, January 03, 2026, in Palm Beach, Florida (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen Dan Caine on Saturday, January 3, described the capture of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro as the culmination of a sprawling, meticulously planned military and intelligence operation that took months to prepare and hours to execute.

Speaking at a press conference at President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida, Caine said 'Operation Absolute Resolve' involved all branches of the US military alongside intelligence agencies.

CARACAS, VENEZUELA - SEPTEMBER 01: President of Venezuela Nicolás Maduro speaks during a press conference at Hotel Melia Caracas on September 01, 2025 in Caracas, Venezuela. Maduro stated that his government is targeted by 8 military ships and 1,200 misiles; what he called the largest threat on Venezuela in last 100 years. (Photo by Jesus Vargas/Getty Images)
President of Venezuela Nicolás Maduro speaks during a press conference at Hotel Melia Caracas on September 01, 2025, in Caracas, Venezuela (Jesus Vargas/Getty Images)

US Chiefs of Staff gives details about meticulous planning 

Planning included detailed surveillance of Maduro’s daily life. “We had to understand how he moved, where he lived, where he traveled, what he ate, what he wore,” Caine said.

According to Caine, more than 150 aircraft launched late Friday night from 20 land-and-sea-based locations across the Western Hemisphere. Among them were helicopters carrying an extraction force that flew into Venezuela at roughly 100 feet above the water to avoid detection.

The helicopters reached Maduro’s compound around 1 am ET, protected by a series of strikes in the surrounding area. US forces encountered resistance, engaging in multiple “self-defense engagements” as they came under fire, Caine said.

By 3.29 am ET, Maduro and his wife had been secured and flown out of Venezuela. They were later transferred to the USS Iwo Jima, from where they were taken to New York, where Maduro is expected to stand trial.

“Failure of one component of this well-oiled machine would have endangered the entire mission,” Caine said. “Failure is never an option for America’s joint force.”

PALM BEACH, FLORIDA - JANUARY 03: U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks during a press conference as U.S. President Donald Trump listens at Mar-a-Lago club on January 03, 2026, in Palm Beach, Florida. During the event, President Trump confirmed that the U.S. military carried out a large-scale strike in Caracas overnight, resulting in the capture of Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores. (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks during a press conference as President Donald Trump listens at the Mar-a-Lago club on January 03, 2026, in Palm Beach, Florida (Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

Military to stay in region after strikes and capture

Caine said that US forces will remain deployed in the region following the large-scale strikes and the overnight capture of Maduro.

“As we stand here this morning, our forces remain in the region at a high state of readiness, prepared to project power, defend themselves and our interests,” he said, calling the mission a “testament to the dedication and unwavering commitment to justice.”

PALM BEACH, FLORIDA - JANUARY 03: U.S. President Donald Trump addresses the media alongside U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio (L) and U.S. Secretary of War Pete Hegseth (R) during a news conference at his Mar-a-Lago club on January 03, 2026, in Palm Beach, Florida. President Trump confirmed that the U.S. military carried out a large-scale strike in Caracas overnight, resulting in the capture of Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores. (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump addresses the media alongside Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Secretary of War Pete Hegseth during a news conference at his Mar-a-Lago club on January 03, 2026, in Palm Beach, Florida (Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

Marco Rubio and Pete Hegseth to help manage post-Maduro Venezuela

President Trump later offered more insight into what comes next for Venezuela, suggesting that senior US officials would play a direct role in stabilizing the country.

Standing alongside Secretary of State Marco Rubio, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and Gen Caine, Trump said, “It’s largely going to be, for a period of time, the people that are standing right behind me. We’re going to be running it.”



He later clarified that Rubio and Hegseth would lead a team working “with the people of Venezuela” to restore order, implicitly acknowledging the risk of a power vacuum.

Trump did not rule out further US military involvement. “We’re not afraid of boots on the ground,” he said.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

English acknowledged that he had traveled to Washington with the intention of killing a government official
59 minutes ago
Zimmerman rejected the suggestion that the blow happened merely as part of a struggle with security
2 hours ago
The store, described as a family-owned operation, was left dealing with the consequences after the crowd departed
4 hours ago
Disney has sued the FCC over early ABC license reviews, alleging retaliation by the Trump administration and warning that scrutiny is affecting political programming
4 hours ago
An 11-year-old boy criticized Donald Trump and referenced Jeffrey Epstein as he explained his anger toward the president in the widely shared footage
10 hours ago
'Hes with me every day even when I’m not thinking about him, he’s certainly part of my heart,' Jill Biden shared
11 hours ago
Melania Trump’s diplomatic outreach has focused on children separated from loved ones during the Russia-Ukraine war, using back-channel communication
12 hours ago
Hunter Tirpak stole the spotlight at Donald Trump’s 2016 Pennsylvania rally after arriving dressed as a miniature Trump and being picked up by him
13 hours ago
Rep Nancy Mace showcased nine tattoos, including religious imagery and a Virginia Woolf quote, after previously keeping much of the ink covered
15 hours ago
Ryder Williams gained national attention after rescuing a 10-year-old boy from rough surf while working as a lifeguard at Seabright State Beach
17 hours ago