Prince Harry's tabloid defeat gets a $13M sting as judge orders payment, and that's not all

The High Court has ordered the seven claimants to make the payment by August 28, with the publisher seeking substantially more
Prince Harry and Elton John face a £9.5 million interim bill after losing their privacy case against the Daily Mail's publisher (Patrick van Katwijk/Getty Images)
Prince Harry and Elton John face a £9.5 million interim bill after losing their privacy case against the Daily Mail's publisher (Patrick van Katwijk/Getty Images)

LONDON, ENGLAND: Prince Harry's legal fight against the publisher of the Daily Mail has taken a costly turn, with the Duke of Sussex, Elton John, and five other claimants ordered to make an initial £9.54 million ($13 million) payment toward the publisher’s legal costs.

The order came after the group lost their privacy lawsuit in July.

The payment must be made to Associated Newspapers Ltd by 4 pm on August 28, but it may be only the first part of a much larger bill.

The publisher’s total legal costs have been put at more than £34 million, while the court has not imposed a final cap on what it can seek.

LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM - MARCH 28: (EMBARGOED FOR PUBLICATION IN UK NEWSPAPERS UNTIL 24 HOURS AFTER CREATE DATE AND TIME) Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, flanked by security guards, arrives at the Royal Courts of Justice on March 28, 2023 in London, England. Prince Harry is one of several claimants in a lawsuit against Associated Newspapers, publisher of the Daily Mail. (Photo by Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images)
Prince Harry and six other claimants must pay £9.54 million toward Associated Newspapers’ legal costs after losing their privacy case (Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images)

Judge orders £9.54 million payment

The High Court's latest ruling concerns the legal costs arising from that defeat. The £9.54 million is an interim payment, meaning it is not necessarily the final amount Harry and the other claimants will have to pay.

The court ordered the costs to be assessed on an indemnity basis, a form of costs order that is more favorable to the winning party than the standard basis.

The final amount will be determined through a separate assessment if the sides cannot agree.

Associated Newspapers has said its legal costs reached about £34.5 million. The court declined to impose a cap on the amount the publisher can ultimately seek.

LONDON, ENGLAND - APRIL 08: Prince Harry arrives at Royal Courts of Justice on April 08, 2025 in London, England. (Photo by Neil Mockford/Getty Images)
The interim payment is due by August 28, while Associated Newspapers says its overall legal costs have reached about £34.5 million (Neil Mockford/Getty Images)

Prince Harry's claims were rejected

Prince Harry, Elton John, David Furnish, Doreen Lawrence, Elizabeth Hurley, Sadie Frost and Simon Hughes had alleged that Associated Newspapers titles used unlawful information-gathering methods, including phone hacking and other forms of intrusion.

Nicklin rejected the claims in July, finding that the evidence did not establish that information used in the relevant articles had been obtained unlawfully.

The judge said the claimants had relied on allegations that were speculative and insufficiently supported.

The judge also criticized the way the case had been pursued, saying its conduct went outside the ordinary and reasonable conduct of civil proceedings. That finding was central to the decision to award costs on an indemnity basis.

Elton John and David Furnish said they want to stay beside and support their children during their growing years (Getty Images)
The seven claimants alleged unlawful information-gathering by Associated Newspapers titles over articles published between 1997 and 2015 (Getty Images)

Legal battle now faces another stage

The latest order does not end the financial dispute between the two sides. The precise total Prince Harry and the other claimants will ultimately owe Associated Newspapers remains to be determined.

The claimants have until October 2 to seek permission to appeal the July judgment or the costs ruling. No decision on an appeal had been announced at the time of the latest ruling.

(Christopher Furlong/Getty Images)
The claimants have until October 2 to seek permission to appeal the July judgment or the costs ruling (Christopher Furlong/Getty Images)

Harry has previously won legal action against other British newspaper publishers, but his claims against Associated Newspapers were dismissed.

The latest ruling now leaves him and the other claimants facing an initial £9.54 million bill, with further costs still to be assessed.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Donald Trump sought to reopen a diplomatic channel with North Korea despite Kim Jong Un’s hardened nuclear stance
1 day ago
Kim Yo-jong said the relationship between Trump and Kim Jong Un is 'excellent,' but she was unaware of any recent communication between them
1 day ago
Trump rejected claims that November's midterm elections influenced his approach to the conflict, saying they had 'nothing to do' with his thinking
3 days ago
A Wall Street Journal report says Iran used the diplomatic window to strengthen the IRGC, rebuild weapons capacity and prepare for wider conflict
3 days ago
Donald Trump cited cost, diplomacy with Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s Iran stance as the Pentagon reduced US participation in annual military drills
4 days ago
Iranian Army chief Amir Hatami said the reward was created after a surge in requests from Iranians seeking to join the conflict
4 days ago
Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran would decide when the strategic waterway opens or closes, rejecting Washington’s claim of control
6 days ago
Iran said the United States must pledge never to threaten Tehran again and permanently end its war with Iran and its regional allies
Aug 9, 2026
Kazem Gharibabadi said negotiations were essential as inflation hit 88.6% and Iran’s oil exports faced mounting disruption
Aug 9, 2026
Iran said the Strait of Hormuz would remain closed until the US ended military action, lifted sanctions, and withdrew its forces
Aug 8, 2026