'Quiet death': Hegseth touts 'sheer destruction' of Iranian Navy as US torpedoes enemy warship

Pete Hegseth credited the Israel Defense Forces as 'devastatingly capable', adding that the two allies were controlling the pace of the operation
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said that the Iran-US campaign could last for about eight weeks, with no set end, and that its duration depended on President Donald Trump’s goals (@DoW/X)
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said that the Iran-US campaign could last for about eight weeks, with no set end, and that its duration depended on President Donald Trump’s goals (@DoW/X)

WASHINGTON, DC: Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth announced on Wednesday, March 4, that an American submarine sank an Iranian warship in the Indian Ocean, marking the first time a US torpedo sank an enemy vessel since World War II.

Speaking from the Pentagon as the campaign against Iran entered its fifth day, Hegseth described the strike as a "quiet death" for a vessel that incorrectly believed it was safe in international waters.

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen Dan Caine reported "steady progress" in the operation and confirmed that more than 2,000 targets had been hit.

These strikes successfully neutralized Iran's major naval presence, destroying over 20 naval vessels and one submarine.



'Historic' results in early combat phase

Secretary Hegseth touted "incredible" and "historic" results so far, emphasizing that the US could sustain this fight for as long as necessary.

He noted that while the operation was still in its early days, the combination of the US military and the "devastatingly capable" Israeli Defense Forces has resulted in "sheer destruction" for the Iranian regime.

WASHINGTON, DC - FEBRUARY 21: President Donald Trump shakes hands with Secretary of War Pete Hegseth during the National Governors Association Evening Dinner and Reception in the East Room of the White House on February 21, 2026 in Washington, DC. Trump is hosting the governors in Washington for the annual National Governors Association meetings. (Photo by Al Drago/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump shakes hands with Secretary of War Pete Hegseth during the National Governors Association Evening Dinner and Reception in the East Room of the White House on February 21, 2026, in Washington, DC (Al Drago/Getty Images)

The Defense Secretary maintained that the US and President Trump were setting the pace and tempo of the operation, keeping the enemy off balance.

He asserted that the gap between Iran's ability to shoot and the US's ability to defend was getting "wider and wider every day."

Pentagon outlines core military objectives



General Caine reconfirmed the three primary objectives of the campaign: eliminating Iran's ballistic missile systems, destroying the Iranian Navy, and preventing the regime from rapidly rebuilding its combat power.

The 2,000 targets hit to date included command and control centers, ballistic missile sites, and IRGC headquarters.

Under Secretary of Defense for Policy Elbridge Colby informed the Senate Armed Services Committee that the operation was prompted by the "rapid buildup" of Iran's missile and one-way attack drone capabilities.

Officials maintained that Iran had negotiated in bad faith while preparing to strike, necessitating defensive US action.

Honoring fallen US service members



The military success came at a cost, with six US service members killed and 10 seriously wounded since the conflict began.

General Caine formally announced the names of four of the fallen on Wednesday, expressing the military's grief alongside their families.

The Pentagon had previously warned that "additional losses" were expected as the operation continued.

Hegseth reiterated that there were no fixed time limits on the campaign, stating it could last anywhere from three to eight weeks, depending on President Trump's desire to achieve specific effects.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

The USS Benfold lost power in the South China Sea, disrupting water, food, air conditioning and toilets before it was towed to the Philippines
31 minutes ago
Haley Van Erem alleges some university investigations lacked evidence of Title VI violations and were steered toward settlements
1 hour ago
Trump acknowledged that no peace talks are underway with Tehran as the 60-day deadline for reaching a permanent ceasefire expired
7 hours ago
A Democratic senator’s jab at Trump’s close aide sparked a fierce White House response as fresh scrutiny surrounds Harp’s unusually prominent role
7 hours ago
Last month, Rubio escalated the administration’s fight against the ICC, calling it a State Department-led campaign to dismantle the court
8 hours ago
Sean Spicer says Trump’s next press secretary will likely need his trust, understand his communication style and already have a close relationship with him
8 hours ago
Judge Brian E Murphy rejected a bid to delay ending TPS for about 5,000 Ethiopians as their legal challenge continues
9 hours ago
A planned discussion on violent crime in Washington was abruptly pulled, adding fresh uncertainty around Trump ally Jeanine Pirro’s standing in DC
9 hours ago
Trump had criticized Pirro after her office dropped charges against former Olympian David Hearn, but she quickly appealed a judge’s decision to release Melissa Farris
10 hours ago
Trump has labeled the Strait of Hormuz 'new US territory,' escalating his fight with Iran over a waterway vital to global oil supplies
11 hours ago