Robert De Niro warns Trump 'will never leave' White House: ‘It’s up to us to get rid of him’

'He jokes now about nationalizing the elections. He’s not joking. We’ve seen enough already,' Robert De Niro said about Donald Trump’s intentions
PUBLISHED 2 HOURS AGO
Robert De Niro made the remarks about President Donald Trump during his recent appearance on 'The Best People With Nicolle Wallace' podcast (Theo Wargo/Getty Images)
Robert De Niro made the remarks about President Donald Trump during his recent appearance on 'The Best People With Nicolle Wallace' podcast (Theo Wargo/Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Robert De Niro isn’t buying the idea that Donald Trump will quietly pack up and exit the White House after his second term.

In a clip from 'The Best People With Nicolle Wallace' podcast, the actor told the MS NOW host that Trump won’t go willingly when his time is up.

“He will never leave,” De Niro said. “We have to make him leave. He jokes now about nationalizing the elections. He’s not joking. We’ve seen enough already.”



Robert De Niro says it is 'up to us' to 'get rid' of Trump

The Oscar winner is set to appear on Wallace’s podcast on Monday, February 23, but the preview clip shows him pushing back on her suggestion that Trump would be gone in three years. De Niro made clear he doesn’t see it that way.

“Let’s not kid ourselves,” he added. “He will not leave. It’s up to us to get rid of him.”

WASHINGTON, DC - FEBRUARY 21: U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during the National Governors Association Evening Dinner and Reception in the East Room of the White House on February 21, 2026 in Washington, DC. Trump is hosting the governors in Washington for the annual National Governors Association meetings. (Photo by Al Drago/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump speaks during the National Governors Association Evening Dinner and Reception in the East Room of the White House on February 21, 2026, in Washington, DC (Al Drago/Getty Images)

Trump has previously teased that he has not ruled out seeking a third term, despite the 22nd Amendment to the US Constitution barring presidents from serving more than two terms. De Niro said Americans should take the POTUS at his word.

The 82-year-old actor also addressed what that could mean for the upcoming midterm elections. Wallace pressed him on whether the election results would be respected. De Niro responded that he expects Trump to attempt to disrupt the midterms and that it would fall on citizens to ensure elections remain safe.

Robert De Niro attends a press conference on day 1 of Tribeca Festival Lisboa on October 18, 2024, in Lisbon, Portugal (Pedro Gomes/Getty Images)
Robert De Niro attends a press conference on Day 1 of Tribeca Festival Lisboa on October 18, 2024, in Lisbon, Portugal (Pedro Gomes/Getty Images)

This follows Trump’s comments earlier this month about federalizing elections. In a February podcast interview with former FBI Deputy Director Dan Bongino, Trump said Republicans should “take over voting” and “nationalize” it.

“We have to make sure that like what he’s trying now, that all the polling places have people that can come there safely,” De Niro said. “That might mean citizens on the other side.”

“Peaceful organization,” Wallace interjected.

“It’s up to the people,” De Niro concluded.

Trump and Robert De Niro's long-running feud

Of course, De Niro’s criticism of Trump isn't new. The actor has been one of the President’s most vocal detractors in Hollywood for nearly a decade.

De Niro notably lashed out in a 2016 video urging voter turnout. “He’s so blatantly stupid. He’s a punk, he’s a dog, he’s a pig, he’s a con, a bulls**t artist, a mutt who doesn’t know what he’s talking about, doesn’t do his homework, doesn’t care, thinks he’s gaming society, doesn’t pay his taxes. He’s an idiot," he said at the time, adding, “He talks about how he wants to punch people in the face. Well, I’d like to punch him in the face.”



At the 2018 Tony Awards, the actor declared, “I’m going to say one thing, ‘F**k Trump,’” prompting applause.



During an interview on MS NOW last year, he described Trump as an “alien” with “no empathy” who “wants to hurt this country.” In other remarks, he labeled him a “monster,” adding, “It's about right and wrong. Period.” 

Trump hasn’t let the barbs slide.

After De Niro took the stage at the 2018 Tony Awards, the Republican leader fired back on social media, calling the actor a “very low IQ individual” who had “taken too many shots to the head” and whose acting had “greatly diminished.”



Trump has also dismissed him as a “sad, broken old man" and described him as “punch-drunk” from his boxing roles.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Conversations paused as diners watched the brief rendition, which ended with applause and quickly became a highlight of the evening
2 hours ago
Melania Trump's 2026 ensemble differed from her 2025 look, when she chose a black tuxedo styled with pieces from Ralph Lauren and Dolce & Gabbana
3 hours ago
JD Vance described his wife Usha as someone who 'just wants to give her kids a good life and wants to be as good of a public servant as possible'
4 hours ago
The 'Shark Tank' investor says firms are scrambling after court blocks Donald Trump tariffs
17 hours ago
Israel denied the claims, saying Tucker Carlson was 'politely asked routine questions' per standard procedures for travelers
1 day ago
Mark Ruffalo said President Donald Trump cannot act alone on war and backed Representative Ro Khanna’s War Powers vote
1 day ago
Editor Mark Guiducci reportedly barred press and social media from the Vanity Fair Oscar party amid tighter guest restrictions
1 day ago
Melania Trump called her inaugural gown 'modern, bold, simple, and dignified,' saying it reflects decades of experience and craftsmanship
1 day ago
The Trump-Kennedy Center canceled Le Patin Libre’s show after a toxic chemical attack and handed footage to police for investigation
1 day ago
Eileen Gu reacts after JD Vance questions US-born athletes competing abroad
1 day ago