Tim Walz facing probes from Treasury Department, House committee over $1B food aid fraud

House Oversight Committee Chair James Comer said his panel will conduct a 'thorough investigation' into Tim Walz’s failure to safeguard taxpayer money
James Comer claims Tim Walz failed to act despite being warned about the massive fraud in a pandemic food-aid program for children (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
James Comer claims Tim Walz failed to act despite being warned about the massive fraud in a pandemic food-aid program for children (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

SAINT PAUL, MINNESOTA: The Treasury Department and a House committee launched investigations into Minnesota Governor Tim Walz's handling of a $1 billion fraud involving Somali immigrants. 

House Oversight Committee Chairman James Comer informed The New York Post that his panel "will conduct a thorough investigation into Governor Walz’s failure to safeguard taxpayer dollars."

Trump administration claims money might have been funneled to Al-Shabaab

James Comer told the outlet, "Minnesota Governor Tim Walz was warned about massive fraud in a pandemic food-aid program for children, yet he failed to act. Instead, whistleblowers who raised concerns faced retaliation."

"Because of Governor Walz’s negligence, criminals — including Somali te**orists — stole nearly $1 billion from the program while children suffered," he added. 

SUPERIOR, WISCONSIN - JANUARY 25: Minnesota Governor Tim Walz speaks about funding for the I-535 Blatnik Bridge before a visit by U.S. President Joe Biden at Earth Rider Brewery on January 25, 2024 in Superior, Wisconsin. Biden touched on his economic agenda and recent federal funding for infrastructure projects. (Photo by Stephen Maturen/Getty Images)
Minnesota Governor Tim Walz speaks about funding for the I-535 Blatnik Bridge before a visit by former President Joe Biden at Earth Rider Brewery on January 25, 2024, in Superior, Wisconsin (Photo by Stephen Maturen/Getty Images)

Interestingly, Comer can issue subpoenas and refer alleged crimes to the Justice Department for potential criminal prosecution as the chairman of the GOP-led panel. The Justice Department has so far convicted 59 fraudsters in the scheme.

On Monday, December 1, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent posted on X that he had instructed his investigators to find out how "the feckless mismanagement of the Biden Administration and Governor Tim Walz" allowed tax dollars to be funneled to Al-Shabaab.

The revelations about the $1 billion fraud for a food relief program are new, and so is the claim that some of the money flowed back to the Somali militant organization.



However, House Republicans have been onto the Minnesota governor over the leaky aid programs for months.

In 2024, Republicans on the House Education and Workforce Committee issued a subpoena to Walz for records. However, it’s unclear what information his office provided.

The probe comes after the prosecutions of 78 individuals, primarily from Somalia, who allegedly took the taxpayers’ money as part of the Feeding Our Future fraud scandal, as per the feds.

Tim Walz says 'there’s a big difference between fraud and corruption'

Tim Walz appeared on NBC News' 'Meet the Press' on Sunday, November 30 and boasted that he took "responsibility for putting people in jail" who were connected to the fraud, while saying that "there’s a big difference between fraud and corruption".

Taking a jab at President Donald Trump, he said, "And corruption is something he knows about", adding, "Donald Trump: Deflect, demonize, come up with no solutions. He’s not going to help fix anything on fraud."



"My God, there’s a big difference between fraud and corruption. And corruption is something he knows about," Walz remarked.

Walz, who is currently running for a third term in office, told the Minnesota Reformer that he was aware of suspicious activity by the nonprofit as early as November 2020. 

Interestingly, Minnesota’s Department of Education first moved to stop payments to Feeding Our Future during that time, but the Minnesota governor let the payments flow again after Feeding Our Future sued the department for alleged racial discrimination.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Rep Nancy Mace showcased nine tattoos, including religious imagery and a Virginia Woolf quote, after previously keeping much of the ink covered
1 hour ago
Ryder Williams gained national attention after rescuing a 10-year-old boy from rough surf while working as a lifeguard at Seabright State Beach
3 hours ago
Todd Blanche also expressed regret over the lack of an update, acknowledging how heartbreaking the case has been
1 day ago
Brad Cooper visited six countries during a 10-day Middle East tour, met over 50,000 US service members and praised the Lincoln Carrier Strike Group
1 day ago
Joey Jones also questioned what older veterans might think when hearing younger service members complain about ordinary hardships while deployed
1 day ago
The controversy began after a sailor's relative alleged that crew lacked care packages and female sailors ran short of hygiene products
1 day ago
Trump continued joking about the impromptu audition, telling Alexis that he had always liked her
1 day ago
Journalists who remained aboard Air Force One had objected to the way the operation was handled
1 day ago
Major Crimes and Crime Scene divisions led the investigation as police sought a motive and suspects, with no arrests announced
1 day ago
Camron Harris, 19, faces eight felony warrants, including malicious wounding and firearm charges, and is being held without bond
2 days ago