Todd Blanche says no directive to hide Trump’s name in Epstein file release

Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche claimed that President Donald Trump consistently pushed for full disclosure of the Epstein files
UPDATED DEC 19, 2025
Todd Blanche said that no directive had been issued to hide Donald Trump’s name in the Epstein files and rejected claims of selective disclosure (Getty Images)
Todd Blanche said that no directive had been issued to hide Donald Trump’s name in the Epstein files and rejected claims of selective disclosure (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche said on Friday, December 19, that the Justice Department has not received any directive to redact President Donald Trump’s name from the Jeffrey Epstein files currently under review, pushing back on speculation surrounding the scope of the disclosures.

In an interview with ABC News, Blanche said there has been no effort to shield Trump or any other public figure from the document release based on name recognition alone, stressing that redactions are not being driven by political considerations.

“There’s no effort to hold anything back because there’s the name Donald J Trump, or anybody else’s name - Bill Clinton’s name, Reid Hoffman’s name,” Blanche said. “There’s no effort to hold back or not hold back because of that.”

NEW YORK, NEW YORK - APRIL 19: Former U.S. President Donald Trump (R) sits with his attorney Todd Blanche (L) during his criminal trial as jury selection continues at Manhattan Criminal Court on April 19, 2024 in New York City. Trump was charged with 34 counts of falsifying business records last year, which prosecutors say was an effort to hide a potential sex scandal, both before and after the 2016 presidential election. Trump is the first former U.S. president to face trial on criminal charges. (Photo by Mark Peterson - Pool/Getty Images)
Todd Blanche rejects claims of selective disclosure as document review continues (Mark Peterson - Pool/Getty Images)

Todd Blanche denies any redaction orders

Blanche emphasized that if any order had been given to redact Trump’s name, it would have come directly from him, adding that no such instruction exists.

“I would give the order,” Blanche said. “President Trump has certainly said from the beginning that he expects all files that can be released to be released, and that’s exactly what we’re doing.”

Blanche also said that the presence of a name in the files does not equate to criminal conduct and should not be interpreted as such.

Arizona man with a history of threatening behavior was arrested on Saturday after he reportedly threatened to execute a local synagogue rabbi in an email. (Getty Images)
Justice Department prepares phased release of Epstein-related records under federal law (Getty Images)

Blanche’s comments come as the Justice Department prepares to release hundreds of documents tied to the Epstein investigation, following mounting pressure from lawmakers and public scrutiny over the timeline and completeness of the disclosure.

DOJ responds to claims of selective disclosure

The remark appears to be aimed at countering accusations that the department is selectively managing the release of information or delaying disclosures involving prominent figures.

Critics previously claimed that the DOJ was slow-walking or limiting the scope of the files, allegations that the department has denied.



The Justice Department has said it is meeting its disclosure obligations while continuing to review records to ensure compliance with federal law and privacy protections. Officials have repeatedly maintained that the process is being handled without favoritism.

Blanche stated that all releasable records will be made public in accordance with the law.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump lashes out at Supreme Court justices after they strike down his emergency tariffs, sparking Maher’s satirical take
4 hours ago
The Capitol Rotunda honor is reserved for presidents, top officials, and select civilians; Jackson’s family plans local memorials instead
5 hours ago
Representatives Ro Khanna and Thomas Massie said they will bring Epstein survivors, with up to 12 victims expected to attend
6 hours ago
Pritzker says Trump’s tariff policy harmed Illinois families and farms, calling for $8.6B in direct compensation after Supreme Court ruling
6 hours ago
Nancy Pelosi said the Supreme Court rightly struck down the tariffs, upholding the Constitution while 'rejecting an abuse of executive power'
7 hours ago
Justice Brett Kavanaugh argued tariffs regulate imports and said lawmakers, not courts, should settle the trade dispute
7 hours ago
Newsom accused Trump of self-dealing and cronyism, saying his tariff push reflects desperation and weak leadership
8 hours ago
At the WH, Trump said the ruling is contradictory as he can take harsh trade action against countries but cannot impose even a small tariff fee
8 hours ago
Omar argues only Congress can authorize military action, warning unilateral moves could drag the US into another conflict
10 hours ago
Vance says the 6-3 decision limits presidential trade powers and makes it harder to shield US jobs and supply chains
10 hours ago