Trump agrees to new Iran talks but declares ceasefire 'over'

President Trump had already declared the US-Iran MoU and ceasefire over after the IRGC attacked three commercial ships in the Strait of Hormuz
President Donald Trump said he accepted Iran's request for peace talks but insisted the ceasefire had ended and dismissed reports suggesting otherwise (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)
President Donald Trump said he accepted Iran's request for peace talks but insisted the ceasefire had ended and dismissed reports suggesting otherwise (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)

WASHINGTON, DC: The hostilities between the US and Iran, which began on February 28 and resulted in the assassination of Iran's former Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, don’t appear to end any time soon.

The fragile ceasefire, announced early in April, has met another roadblock of alleged violations after the US attacked Iranian sites following Tehran’s violent activities in the Strait of Hormuz.



Trump agrees to talk to Iran but affirms ceasefire is over

President Donald Trump, on Friday, July 10, shared a post on Truth Social, where he agreed to accept Iran’s request for peace talks but dismissed the report of a ceasefire, reiterating that the ceasefire was over.

"The Islamic Republic of Iran has asked us to continue 'talks.’ We have agreed to do so, but the United States has stated to them, in no uncertain terms, that the Cease Fire is OVER!" Trump wrote.

Notably, Trump had already declared that the Memorandum of Understanding between the US and Iran and the ceasefire were over.

President Donald Trump speaks during a Cabinet meeting at the White House, Thursday, March 26, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
President Donald Trump speaks during a Cabinet meeting at the White House, Thursday, March 26, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Alex Brandon) 

President defends attacks against Iran

Trump declared the US-Iran ceasefire effectively over on Wednesday, as the United States launched another round of military strikes against Iran following recent attacks on commercial shipping in the Strait of Hormuz.

The operation marked the second consecutive night of US strikes. Trump defended the military action, describing it as "in retribution for yesterday's bombing of ships by Iran."

He also warned Tehran that any future attacks would prompt an even stronger military response. The president wrote, "If it happens again, it will get much worse!"

People watch as smoke rises on the skyline after an explosion in Tehran, Iran, Saturday, Feb. 28, 2026 (AP Photo)
People watch as smoke rises on the skyline after an explosion in Tehran, Iran, Saturday, February 28, 2026 (AP Photo)

Trump says he is Iran's number 1 target

One thing was clear from President Trump’s appearance at the NATO summit in recent days: He believes Iran wants him dead.

"I'm No 1 on the kill list for Iran," the president told reporters on Wednesday. "I like being number one on TikTok better."

Trump returned to the subject repeatedly throughout the summit — with a level of candidness that might seem unusual for any other president.

President Donald Trump speaks during a media conference at the NATO summit in Ankara, Turkey, Wednesday, July 8, 2026. (AP Photo/Emrah Gurel)
President Donald Trump speaks during a media conference at the NATO summit in Ankara, Turkey, Wednesday, July 8, 2026 (AP Photo/Emrah Gurel)

A new report suggests US officials may have had fresh intelligence to support concerns about the threat: The Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday that Israel recently shared intelligence with the United States indicating Iran had developed a new plan to assassinate Trump.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Rosie O'Donnell repeatedly criticized Trump during her monologues, reviving a feud dating to her 2006-07 'The View' stint and his 2016 attacks
2 hours ago
Vance said earlier generations made his life possible, adding that Black, white, rich and poor Americans built the country together across generations
3 hours ago
Ken Paxton is facing a tight race against Democrat James Talarico, raising donor fears that Democrats could score a major win in the deep-red state
4 hours ago
National Cattlemen's Beef Association's CEO Colin Woodall warned that subsidized, below-market beef would not rebuild the US herd
4 hours ago
The Trump-aligned board voted in August 2026 to add inscriptions crediting him for renovations, prompting opponents to file emergency legal challenges
5 hours ago
A Maoist faction of the DSA rejected Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez as its 2028 standard-bearer, citing her stances on policing and Israel
6 hours ago
Officials told CNN that Harp stayed with Trump much of the day, joined meetings, advised him on posts, and served as a channel for foreign leaders
7 hours ago
Miller enlisted in 1939 and manned an anti-aircraft gun after helping his wounded commander at Pearl Harbor, later receiving the Navy Cross in 1942
8 hours ago
'I mean, first of all, he's almost 10 years older than I am. And with an illness... you kinda can't let your head go there', Jill Biden said
9 hours ago
JD Vance said the administration had relied on alternative routes, pipelines and other infrastructure to keep oil moving despite the disruption
16 hours ago