Trump declares DC emergency over 200M gallons spilled into the Potomac River
WASHINGTON, DC: Donald Trump on Saturday, February 20, approved an emergency declaration for Washington, DC, following a major sewage spill into the Potomac River caused by a ruptured sewer line. The declaration follows a local public emergency earlier in the week by DC Mayor Muriel Bowser, who formally requested federal assistance.
The spill, which began last month, resulted in an estimated 243 million gallons of untreated wastewater flowing into the river before temporary mitigation measures were installed. Federal authorities said the action authorizes support for cleanup and recovery efforts in the nation’s capital and surrounding areas.
FEMA authorized to coordinate relief efforts
The emergency declaration enables the Federal Emergency Management Agency to coordinate disaster response and mobilize resources.
In a press release, the agency stated, “The President’s action authorizes FEMA to coordinate all disaster relief efforts to alleviate the hardship and suffering caused by the emergency on the local population and to provide appropriate assistance to save lives, to protect property, public health and safety and to lessen or avert the threat of a catastrophe.”
It added, “Specifically, FEMA is authorized to identify, mobilize and provide, at its discretion, equipment and resources necessary to alleviate the impacts of the emergency.” Under FEMA’s Public Assistance program, federal funding is generally required to cover 75 percent of eligible costs. Mark K. O’Hanlon was named as the federal coordinating officer for the affected region.
Bowser declared a local public emergency on Wednesday, February 18, in a 15-day order directing city officials to “activate, implement, and coordinate mutual aid agreements between the District of Columbia and federal, state, or local jurisdictions as needed.”
She also wrote to Trump requesting a major disaster declaration and seeking 100 percent federal reimbursement for costs incurred by the district and DC Water.
The spill originated from a rupture in the 72-inch Potomac Interceptor pipe, owned and operated by DC Water. According to the utility, approximately 243 million gallons of wastewater leaked before a temporary bypass pipeline was installed.
The incident has led to elevated levels of E. coli bacteria in the river, prompting advisories from the District’s Department of Energy and Environment recommending that residents avoid contact with the water.
Dispute over responsibility intensifies
The spill has also led to a public dispute among federal, state and local officials regarding oversight and responsibility. Trump has criticized local leaders in DC and Maryland, describing the incident as an “ecological disaster” and urging them to act “IMMEDIATELY.”
Maryland officials have pushed back. One spokesperson for Maryland Governor Wes Moore, said, “The President has his facts wrong, again.
Since the last century, the federal government has been responsible for the Potomac Interceptor, which is the origin of the sewage leak. For the last four weeks, the Trump Administration has failed to act, shirking its responsibility and putting people’s health at risk.”
Jay Apperson, spokesperson for the Maryland Department of the Environment, stated that while the broken portion of the pipe is located in Maryland, DC Water owns and operates the interceptor and that it is regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency. He added that the break occurred within the C&O Canal National Historical Park, which is National Park Service property.