Trump defends costly ballroom as he swaps architect, calls it 'under budget and ahead of schedule'

On Truth Social, Trump defended his $300 million White House ballroom project funded with private donations, and claimed that it was 'under budget'
UPDATED DEC 6, 2025
Donald Trump defended his $300 million ballroom as ‘under budget’ and ‘ahead of schedule’, as lead architect James McCrery II was replaced after alleged missed deadlines (Getty Images)
Donald Trump defended his $300 million ballroom as ‘under budget’ and ‘ahead of schedule’, as lead architect James McCrery II was replaced after alleged missed deadlines (Getty Images)


WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump launched a fresh round of criticism and clarification over his planned approximately $300 million White House ballroom, defending cost increases and blasting CNN in a blistering Truth Social post on Saturday, December 6.

“Caitlin Collin’s of Fake News CNN, always Stupid and Nasty, asked me why the new Ballroom was costing more money than originally thought one year ago. I said because it is going to be double the size and the quality of finishes and interiors has been brought to the highest level," the president said.

(White House.gov)
Trump's ballroom project (White House.gov)

Trump says ballroom project under budget and ahead

In this Truth Social post, Trump further said, " Also, the column SPAN has been substantially increased for purposes of viewing. It is actually under budget and ahead of schedule, as my jobs always are."

"Interestingly, and seldom reported, there are no taxpayer dollars involved,” Trump added.

He added that the ballroom, funded by private donations, would be “much bigger and more beautiful than originally planned,” and again attacked CNN’s leadership, saying that the network’s ratings are “not even counted or relevant anymore.”

WASHINGTON, DC - SEPTEMBER 05: U.S. President Donald Trump speaks to members of the media as he signs executive orders during a press availability in the Oval Office of the White House on September 05, 2025 in Washington, DC. President Trump signed executive orders which included the renaming of the Department of Defense to the Department of War. (Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
 President Donald Trump speaks to members of the media as he signs executive orders during a press availability in the Oval Office of the White House on September 05, 2025, in Washington, DC (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

Trump admin replaces original architect

Behind Trump’s public defense of the project lies a quiet shake-up. According to The Washington Post, architect James McCrery II, whose boutique firm had been leading the ballroom design for more than three months, was replaced in late October.

The report, citing multiple people familiar with the project, said Trump and McCrery disagreed at times, especially over Trump’s push to expand the 90,000-square-foot design.

But it was ultimately the firm’s limited staffing and missed deadlines, one source said, that triggered the change. Another source noted that McCrery and Trump parted on good terms, though it remains unclear whether McCrery stepped aside voluntarily.

Donald Trump holds up a rendering of the proposed White House ballroom (@WhiteHouse/X)
Donald Trump replaced his architect on the White House ballroom after disagreements over the project’s scale on the $300M White House ballroom after disagreements over the project’s scale (@WhiteHouse/X)

Shalom Baranes takes charge of the ballroom

The White House confirmed that Shalom Baranes, a respected Washington architect whose portfolio includes major federal buildings such as the main Treasury building, has been tapped to take over the project.

White House spokesperson David Ingle praised the selection, saying Baranes would help realize Trump’s vision for what he called “the greatest addition to the White House since the Oval Office -the White House Ballroom.”

“Shalom is an accomplished architect whose work has shaped the architectural identity of our nation’s capital for decades,” Ingle added.

The administration said McCrery will continue in a consulting role.

WASHINGTON, DC - APRIL 08: U.S. President Donald Trump arrives to speak at the National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC) dinner at the National Building Museum on April 08, 2025 in Washington, DC. Trump spoke on a range of topics, including recent House special elections, changes his administration has made and the future of the Republican party. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump arrives to speak at the National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC) dinner at the National Building Museum on April 08, 2025 in Washington, DC (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

Demolition concerns and public backlash continue

The project has already drawn scrutiny, especially after satellite images in October showed the East Wing completely demolished, contradicting Trump’s earlier assurances that the historic building would remain untouched.

The new architect now faces not only an ambitious design brief but also mounting political and public pressure as the controversial ballroom project pushes forward.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Sheriff Chris Nanos calls the suspect’s backpack one of the strongest leads
1 hour ago
James Heidorn calls leaving his 14-year teaching career 'devastating' after community backlash over his personal ICE support
8 hours ago
Hillary Clinton outlined arming Ukraine with missiles, while Petr Macinka urged calm dialogue and rejected labeling opponents 'fascist'
8 hours ago
Sources say Savannah Guthrie may leave 'Today' after her mother’s Tucson abduction, fearing her job may have made her a target
8 hours ago
The former president and first lady cheered courtside with daughter Sasha while enjoying the All-Star Game and sharing family moments
8 hours ago
Australian activist Drew Pavlou says his satirical plan to occupy Billie Eilish’s mansion led to a 30-hour detention at LAX
9 hours ago
Petr Macinka criticized woke culture and gender ideology, while Hillary Clinton defended women’s rights during their tense exchange
10 hours ago
Maher says outrage is emotional, insists his views on Trump haven’t changed and vows to keep mocking progressive activists
11 hours ago
Savannah Guthrie urged Nancy Guthrie’s return, saying it is not too late to act and expressing hope and belief in people’s goodness
12 hours ago
The New York Post alerted the Pima County Sheriff’s Department after finding gloves, as DNA from one may match Nancy Guthrie’s masked kidnapper
13 hours ago