Trump follows through on Iran ultimatum as US launches third round of strikes after Hormuz attack

US Central Command confirmed fresh strikes on Iran following an alleged IRGC attack that left a commercial ship disabled and a crew member missing
The latest US military action came less than a day after Washington warned Iran to stop targeting commercial shipping or 'it is not gonna be a great day for them' (AP Images)
The latest US military action came less than a day after Washington warned Iran to stop targeting commercial shipping or 'it is not gonna be a great day for them' (AP Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: The United States launched a third round of military strikes against Iran on Saturday, July 11, after accusing Tehran of attacking a commercial vessel in the Strait of Hormuz, less than 24 hours after the Trump administration warned of consequences if Iran failed to halt attacks on the shipping route. 

US officials had demanded that Iran publicly commit to keeping the strategic waterway open and cease targeting commercial vessels. Instead, Washington said Iran's latest actions prompted another military response ordered by President Donald Trump.

A tanker sits anchored in the Strait of Hormuz off the coast of Qeshm Island, Iran, Saturday, April 18, 2026. (AP Photo/Asghar Besharati)
A tanker sits anchored in the Strait of Hormuz off the coast of Qeshm Island, Iran, on Saturday, April 18, 2026 (AP Photo/Asghar Besharati)

US launches fresh strikes after warning Iran over Hormuz

US officials demanded Friday that Iran stop attacking commercial shipping and guarantee the Strait of Hormuz would remain open, warning that failure to do so would bring further consequences.

"We want them to publicly say that they will stop shooting at ships...every channel in the strait will be open," one US official said. A second official warned Tehran of consequences if it refused "it is not gonna be a great day for them."

US Central Command (CENTCOM) then announced that American forces had carried out a third round of strikes after accusing Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) of attacking the Cyprus-flagged M/V GFS Galaxy in the Strait of Hormuz.



"Iran was provided yet another opportunity to demonstrate adherence to the Memorandum of Understanding after being held accountable for earlier attacks on commercial vessels but has again failed," CENTCOM said.



"In response, the United States is imposing a heavy cost by continuing to degrade Iran's ability to attack civilian mariners and commercial ships freely transiting the strait. The strikes are being carried out at the direction of the Commander in Chief," CENTCOM added. 



Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth also responded shortly after the operation began, writing on X, "Iran made a poor choice. Now they pay."

Iran maintains its position despite reports of private outreach

The latest escalation came despite US officials previously claiming Iranian representatives had privately acknowledged responsibility for earlier incidents and expressed interest in continuing negotiations.

"They came back to the table and said, 'We screwed up. We made a mistake. Let's keep talking,'" one senior US official said while describing recent contacts between the two sides.

The sun rises behind tankers anchored in the Strait of Hormuz off the coast of Qeshm Island, Iran, Saturday, April 18, 2026. (AP Photo/Asghar Besharati)
The sun rises behind tankers anchored in the Strait of Hormuz off the coast of Qeshm Island, Iran, on Saturday, April 18, 2026 (AP Photo/Asghar Besharati)

Iran, however, publicly maintained a different position. Tehran said the Strait of Hormuz had been closed again after its military fired what it described as a warning shot at a vessel using an "unauthorized route." Iranian authorities also indicated the waterway would remain closed until further notice.



Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said discussions with Oman focused on maritime security and "appropriate mechanisms for ensuring the safe passage of ships," while accusing Washington of violating the memorandum of understanding by ending waivers that allowed Iran to sell crude oil internationally.

Minister of Foreign Affairs of Iran, Seyyed Abbas Araghchi, 3rd from right, and Speaker of the Islamic Parliament of Iran, Mohammed Bagher Ghalibaf, 2nd from right, with the Delegation of Iran at the Lake Lucerne Summit at the Buergenstock resort in Obbuergen, near Lucerne, Switzerland, Sunday, June 21, 2026. (Urs Flueeler, Pool Photo via AP)
Minister of Foreign Affairs of Iran, Seyyed Abbas Araghchi, 3rd from right, and Speaker of the Islamic Parliament of Iran, Mohammed Bagher Ghalibaf, 2nd from right, with the Delegation of Iran at the Lake Lucerne Summit at the Buergenstock resort in Obbuergen, near Lucerne, Switzerland, on Sunday, June 21, 2026. (Urs Flueeler, Pool Photo via AP)

Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf also reiterated Tehran's distrust of Washington. "We are distrustful of the Americans. During the negotiations, I made it clear to the US vice president that we have no trust in you," Ghalibaf said, according to Iran's state-run IRNA.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Rosie O'Donnell repeatedly criticized Trump during her monologues, reviving a feud dating to her 2006-07 'The View' stint and his 2016 attacks
50 minutes ago
Vance said earlier generations made his life possible, adding that Black, white, rich and poor Americans built the country together across generations
1 hour ago
Ken Paxton is facing a tight race against Democrat James Talarico, raising donor fears that Democrats could score a major win in the deep-red state
2 hours ago
National Cattlemen's Beef Association's CEO Colin Woodall warned that subsidized, below-market beef would not rebuild the US herd
2 hours ago
The Trump-aligned board voted in August 2026 to add inscriptions crediting him for renovations, prompting opponents to file emergency legal challenges
2 hours ago
A Maoist faction of the DSA rejected Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez as its 2028 standard-bearer, citing her stances on policing and Israel
4 hours ago
Officials told CNN that Harp stayed with Trump much of the day, joined meetings, advised him on posts, and served as a channel for foreign leaders
5 hours ago
Miller enlisted in 1939 and manned an anti-aircraft gun after helping his wounded commander at Pearl Harbor, later receiving the Navy Cross in 1942
6 hours ago
'I mean, first of all, he's almost 10 years older than I am. And with an illness... you kinda can't let your head go there', Jill Biden said
7 hours ago
JD Vance said the administration had relied on alternative routes, pipelines and other infrastructure to keep oil moving despite the disruption
14 hours ago