Trump Mobile says shutdown caused delay in first phone release

Trump Mobile rep said the company will not ship the device this month and now expects delivery in 'mid to late January'
A Trump Mobile representative explains how the shutdown disrupted shipments (Getty Images, Trump Mobile)
A Trump Mobile representative explains how the shutdown disrupted shipments (Getty Images, Trump Mobile)

WASHINGTON, DC: Trump Mobile, the US President Donald Trump Organization–backed wireless company, has delayed the release of its highly anticipated gold-colored T1 smartphone once again. The company says the US government shutdown is the reason for the delay.

The setback adds to months of launch delays and highlights the growing challenges of turning a high-profile political brand into a consumer tech product.

Trump Mobile representative explains how the shutdown disrupted shipments

(Trump Mobile)
The company markets the T1 as a gold-colored smartphone priced at $499, available for preorder with a $100 deposit(Trump Mobile)

A customer service representatives for Trump Mobile told Fortune that the government shutdown disrupted shipments of the $499 phone. They said the company will not ship the device this month and now expects delivery in 'mid to late January'.

Trump Mobile has not shared a new official release date. The representative explained that the shutdown forced the company to pause work involving the FCC, but confirmed that the $499 price remains the same.

"The T1 has been delayed due to the government shutdown. They had to pause everything on the FCC side of things."

Trump Mobile launched in June as a licensing business that uses the Trump name to sell wireless service and a branded Android phone called the T1.

The company markets the T1 as a gold-colored smartphone priced at $499, available for preorder with a $100 deposit.

The phone runs on 'The 47 Plan,' which costs $47.45 per month and includes 5G service with unlimited talk, text, and data, a price that references Donald Trump’s terms as the 45th and 47th US president.

Trump Mobile’s debut phone keeps missing its expected release dates

While discussing biological males competing in female sports, U.S. President Donald Trump talks about lifting weights while delivering remarks during a White House Faith Office luncheon in the State Dining Room at the White House on July 14, 2025 in Washington, DC. Pastor Paula White-Cain, the head of the White House Faith Office, hosted the luncheon with members of the government, faith-based, and community organizations. (Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
While discussing biological males competing in female sports, US President Donald Trump talks about lifting weights while delivering remarks during a White House Faith Office luncheon in the State Dining Room at the White House on July 14, 2025 in Washington, DC (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

Trump Mobile launched its smartphone project by promising a US-built phone and pitching it as both a business move and a statement on American manufacturing.

Early ads claimed the gold-colored T1 phone was 'built in the United States,' echoing Donald Trump’s criticism of phones made in China.

Experts quickly raised doubts, saying it is unlikely to produce a fully US-made smartphone at that price. Since then, the launch has faced repeated delays, with release dates slipping from August to October and then to the end of the year.

As delays continued, Trump Mobile quietly removed release dates and 'Made in USA' claims from its website.

The company has since started selling refurbished phones from Apple and Samsung instead, while the T1 phone remains unavailable. Trump Mobile runs as a virtual network using existing carriers and outside partners, not its own infrastructure.

While the company now blames the latest delay on the government shutdown, it has not clearly explained how the shutdown affected production. Meanwhile, customers who paid deposits say they have received few updates and still don’t know when, or if, the phone will ship.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Zimmerman rejected the suggestion that the blow happened merely as part of a struggle with security
1 hour ago
The store, described as a family-owned operation, was left dealing with the consequences after the crowd departed
2 hours ago
Disney has sued the FCC over early ABC license reviews, alleging retaliation by the Trump administration and warning that scrutiny is affecting political programming
3 hours ago
An 11-year-old boy criticized Donald Trump and referenced Jeffrey Epstein as he explained his anger toward the president in the widely shared footage
9 hours ago
'Hes with me every day even when I’m not thinking about him, he’s certainly part of my heart,' Jill Biden shared
10 hours ago
Melania Trump’s diplomatic outreach has focused on children separated from loved ones during the Russia-Ukraine war, using back-channel communication
11 hours ago
Hunter Tirpak stole the spotlight at Donald Trump’s 2016 Pennsylvania rally after arriving dressed as a miniature Trump and being picked up by him
12 hours ago
Rep Nancy Mace showcased nine tattoos, including religious imagery and a Virginia Woolf quote, after previously keeping much of the ink covered
14 hours ago
Ryder Williams gained national attention after rescuing a 10-year-old boy from rough surf while working as a lifeguard at Seabright State Beach
16 hours ago
Todd Blanche also expressed regret over the lack of an update, acknowledging how heartbreaking the case has been
1 day ago