Trump orders 1,500 soldiers to prepare for possible Minnesota deployment

Two battalions from the 11th Airborne Division were readied for cold-weather deployment as they were best suited for Minnesota’s harsh winter conditions
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey called troop deployment a ‘shocking step’ as he warned federal escalation would intimidate residents and worsen chaos rather than restore safety (Getty Images)
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey called troop deployment a ‘shocking step’ as he warned federal escalation would intimidate residents and worsen chaos rather than restore safety (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: The Pentagon has directed roughly 1,500 active-duty soldiers stationed in Alaska to prepare for a possible deployment to Minnesota, two defense officials confirmed on Sunday, January 18. The move signals a firmer posture from the White House as friction grows between federal authorities and local leaders following recent ICE-involved shootings.

The order covers two battalions from the 11th Airborne Division, with additional units expected to provide logistical support if a deployment proceeds. While no final movement orders have been issued, the preparation directive indicates that the administration is positioning forces for potential domestic use.

Arctic soldiers trained for cold conditions

FORT BRAGG, NC - FEBRUARY 14: Soldiers with the 82nd Airborne division walk across the tarmac at Gre
The 11th Airborne Division battalions are trained for Arctic warfare, making them equipped for Minnesota's freezing conditions (Getty Images)

The two infantry battalions selected are trained primarily for Arctic operations and Indo-Pacific missions, both priorities for the Trump administration. Defense officials said that the troops are not specialized in crowd control, but are equipped to operate in extreme cold.

That capability aligns with current winter conditions in Minnesota. The officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the preparations reflect internal planning tied to a range of contingencies.

'Insurrection Act' threat looms over Minneapolis

(Getty Images)
Trump has threatened to invoke the 'Insurrection Act' to quell protests sparked by the fatal shooting of an American citizen by ICE (Getty Images)

President Donald Trump has repeatedly raised the possibility of invoking the 'Insurrection Act' to address protests in Minneapolis. The unrest began earlier this month after ICE officers shot two civilians, killing Renee Good, an American citizen, and wounding Julio Cesar Sosa-Celis, a Venezuelan migrant.

Although Trump said on Friday that there was no need to invoke the law “right now,” the order to ready active-duty battalions points to a shift in posture. ABC News first reported the preparations.

Mayor Jacob Frey calls deployment a 'shocking step'



Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey criticized the prospect of federal escalation during an appearance on NBC’s 'Meet the Press' on Sunday, calling any deployment of active-duty troops a “shocking step” and noting that crime in the city is down.

“We don’t need more federal agents to keep people safe,” Frey said. He argued that the unrest was driven by federal tactics, adding, “You know what’s causing more chaos? Having these thousands of ICE agents and Border Control and apparently military, even, potentially on our streets.”

Frey said protests have followed agents stopping residents and demanding proof of citizenship.

Tensions flare over recent shootings

KENOSHA, WISCONSIN - JANUARY 05:  National Guard troops stand watch as demonstrators protest outside
Tensions remain high as the administration considers repeating tactics used in Los Angeles, where troops were deployed over the Governor's objections (Getty Images)

The situation mirrors earlier clashes between Washington and state leaders. In June, Trump deployed 4,000 National Guard members and 700 active-duty Marines to Los Angeles over objections from California Governor Gavin Newsom.

In Minnesota, Governor Tim Walz has mobilized the National Guard in support of local law enforcement but has not deployed them.

Pentagon spokesperson Sean Parnell said “the Department of War is always prepared to execute the orders of the Commander-in-Chief,” a position echoed by White House officials regarding the president’s authority.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

'Do you know how many of my friends have Purple Hearts? Do you know how many of my friends got wounded? Yeah, a lot of them' Platner said
3 minutes ago
Trump triggers backlash after posting graphic depicting political opponents in prison imagery
15 minutes ago
Paul urges Republicans to give Trump ‘space’ for Iran talks, exposing GOP divisions over diplomacy
35 minutes ago
The ads abandoned traditional campaign messaging, betting on voter fury over the Trump administration's refusal to release classified Epstein records
47 minutes ago
Trump described the suspect as someone with a 'violent history' and an 'obsession' with the White House
8 hours ago
Mike Johnson expressed optimism about the development, calling it a sign of strong leadership and saying the US is now more secure under Trump
8 hours ago
The fund was unveiled last week after President Trump announced he would withdraw his $10 billion lawsuit against the IRS
9 hours ago
Ted Cruz warned that a deal allowing Tehran access to funds or nuclear development could strengthen a hostile regime
9 hours ago
Former Kamala Harris aides reportedly dismissed a 2028 run, with one adviser calling it 'obviously a bad idea'
9 hours ago
Robert Gevertzman, who died in March 2025 at 75, landed the Democratic ticket for next month’s primaries
10 hours ago