Trump says US forces stay in Iran until a real agreement, warns ‘shootin’ starts’ if deal fails

Donald Trump called the ceasefire a 'big day,' said Iran agreed to a US deal, but did not clarify if threats would return if it collapses
Donald Trump paused Iran strikes for two weeks as Tehran agreed to talks and to reopen the Strait of Hormuz under a temporary deal (Getty Images)
Donald Trump paused Iran strikes for two weeks as Tehran agreed to talks and to reopen the Strait of Hormuz under a temporary deal (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Barely a day after Washington and Tehran hit pause on hostilities, President Donald Trump clarified the terms of the truce.

Taking to Truth Social, Trump warned that US military forces are not going anywhere just yet. In fact, they will remain positioned near Iran until what he called a “REAL AGREEMENT” is fully honored.

Trump warns ‘Shootin’ starts’ if deal fails

"All US Ships, Aircraft, and Military Personnel, with additional Ammunition, Weaponry, and anything else that is appropriate and necessary for the lethal prosecution and destruction of an already substantially degraded Enemy, will remain in place in, and around, Iran, until such time as the REAL AGREEMENT reached is fully complied with," Trump wrote.

The emphasis on “real” appears to stem from conflicting narratives surrounding the ceasefire terms involving Iran, the US, and Israel.

In the same post, Trump warned Tehran that any deviation from the agreement could trigger a massive escalation.

“If for any reason it is not, which is highly unlikely, then the 'Shootin’ Starts,' bigger, and better, and stronger than anyone has ever seen before. It was agreed, a long time ago, and despite all of the fake rhetoric to the contrary - NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS and, the Strait of Hormuz WILL BE OPEN & SAFE," Trump said.

"In the meantime our great Military is Loading Up and Resting, looking forward, actually, to its next Conquest. AMERICA IS BACK!"

President Donald Trump speaks with reporters in the James Brady Press Briefing Room at the White House, Monday, April 6, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)
President Donald Trump speaks with reporters in the James Brady Press Briefing Room at the White House, Monday, April 6, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

The tough talk follows Trump’s earlier decision to pause bombing operations in Iran for two weeks, but only on the condition that Tehran immediately reopen the Strait of Hormuz.

Iran signaled a willingness to talk. Officials said they accepted negotiations based on a US-backed 15-point proposal, while also claiming Washington had largely agreed to their own 10-point proposal. As part of the temporary arrangement, Iran said safe passage through the strait would be guaranteed for two weeks.

They also gave a nod to Shehbaz Sharif, crediting Pakistan with playing a mediating role in cooling tensions.

Trump claims victory amid ceasefire confusion

Trump did not waste time declaring a win.

He described the ceasefire as a “big day for World Peace” and dubbed the moment “the Golden Age of the Middle East,” adding that Iran pushed for the agreement because “they’ve had enough.”

In a call with AFP, Trump said the US’s 15-point “transaction” had been mostly agreed upon. He also reiterated that Iran’s earlier 10-point proposal was “workable,” though he stopped short of clarifying whether his earlier threats (including talk of devastating strikes on Iran’s power and energy infrastructure) would be back on the table if the deal collapses.

A thick plume of smoke rises from an oil storage facility hit by a U.S.-Israeli strike late Saturday in Tehran, Iran, Sunday, March 8, 2026. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)
A thick plume of smoke rises from an oil storage facility hit by a US-Israeli strike late Saturday in Tehran, Iran, Sunday, March 8, 2026 (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)

Under the current terms, Trump said Iran could begin rebuilding roughly 12 hours after his earlier warning to “end” civilisation with potential attacks. Meanwhile, the US would remain nearby, loading up supplies and “hangin’ around” to ensure “everything goes well.”

That said, it appears not everyone is on the same page.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu backed the ceasefire but with a caveat. Lebanon, he said, is not part of the deal, and Israeli operations against Hezbollah would continue. The Trump administration later signaled agreement with that position.

Iran, however, insists its own proposal includes Lebanon. Pakistan’s statement on the ceasefire also referenced Lebanon.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Patty Murray accused Sean Duffy of self-promotion over addressing Americans’ financial strain, calling his actions 'out of touch'
5 hours ago
The results highlight the continued importance of Trump’s endorsement in shaping GOP primary outcomes
6 hours ago
Taking to X after the race was called, the California Democrat blasted what he described as attacks on Massie and argued the libertarian-minded Republican was punished for taking on powerful interests
7 hours ago
The bipartisan praise highlighted how Massie’s brand of anti-establishment politics has attracted support beyond traditional Republican circles
7 hours ago
Appearing on Hannity, Gallrein recounted a conversation he said changed the course of his campaign
8 hours ago
In a lengthy post on X after the results, Marjorie Taylor Greene hailed Thomas Massie as 'a giant among weak pathetic men'
8 hours ago
Michael Caputo said the FBI probes were ‘weaponized’ against his family as he filed $2.7M DOJ claim
8 hours ago
Speaking at his concession event in Hebron on May 19, Thomas Massie framed the loss as part of a larger purpose
8 hours ago
Thomas Massie criticized Donald Trump’s White House ballroom project, saying Americans are struggling while gas and diesel prices rise
9 hours ago
Ilhan Omar faced renewed scrutiny after revising financial disclosures tied to companies co-owned by partner Tim Mynett
10 hours ago