Trump says US sank nine Iranian naval ships, ‘largely destroyed’ Iran’s naval headquarters

Trump warns Iranian ships 'will soon be floating at the bottom of the sea' in Truth Social post
Trump unveils major maritime strikes, signals more Iranian vessels may face targeting (Photo by Daniel Torok/White House via Getty Images)
Trump unveils major maritime strikes, signals more Iranian vessels may face targeting (Photo by Daniel Torok/White House via Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump said on Sunday, March 1, that US forces have sunk nine Iranian naval ships and significantly damaged the country’s naval headquarters, describing the strikes as part of an ongoing military campaign.

Trump said some of the vessels were “relatively large and important” and indicated that additional ships could be targeted. The announcement comes amid heightened regional tensions and retaliatory attacks on US positions across the Middle East.

Trump announces destruction of Iranian naval assets

In a post on Truth Social, Trump wrote, “I have just been informed that we have destroyed and sunk 9 Iranian Naval Ships, some of them relatively large and important. We are going after the rest, they will soon be floating at the bottom of the sea, also! In a different attack, we largely destroyed their Naval Headquarters.” He added, “other than that, their Navy is doing very well!”



The president did not provide photos, video, or further operational specifics to support the claims, and the Pentagon has not publicly detailed the extent of the reported damage.

Trump stated that nine ships belonging to Iran’s navy had been “destroyed” and sunk and signaled that operations against additional vessels may follow.

People watch as smoke rises on the skyline after an explosion in Tehran, Iran, Saturday, Feb. 28, 2026 (AP Photo)
People watch as smoke rises on the skyline after an explosion in Tehran, Iran, Saturday, February 28, 2026 (AP Photo)

The reported maritime strikes follow broader US military action targeting Iranian military infrastructure. Iran has responded with missile and drone launches, it says, aimed at US bases across the region.

Some projectiles and debris have reportedly struck civilian areas, including airport facilities, disrupting daily activity in parts of the Middle East.

TEL AVIV, ISRAEL - MARCH 01: A resident of the site of a destroyed building by a missile strike last night removes clothes and what he can salvage from his apartment on March 01, 2026 in Tel Aviv, Israel. Iran fired waves of missiles at Israel after the United States and Israel launched a joint attack on Iran early on February 28th. Israel's Defense Minister Israel Katz declared a state of emergency, as Israelis braced for the retaliation. (Photo by Alexi J. Rosenfeld/Getty Images)
A resident salvages belongings from a missile-damaged building in Tel Aviv on March 1, 2026, after Iran launched retaliatory strikes following a joint US-Israeli attack (Alexi J. Rosenfeld/Getty Images)

In Iraq, armed groups aligned with Tehran said they launched explosive drone attacks on an American base near Irbil airport in retaliation for US and Israeli operations inside Iran.

A subsequent statement said another base was targeted with a rocket. There were no immediate reports of casualties from those incidents. Iran-aligned militias in Iraq have vowed additional action in solidarity with Tehran.

CENTCOM rejects carrier strike claim, confirms US casualties

United States Central Command (CENTCOM) on Sunday, March 1, rejected Iranian military claims that an American aircraft carrier had been struck in the Persian Gulf.

Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps had asserted that the USS Abraham Lincoln was “struck” by ballistic missiles. CENTCOM described that claim as a “LIE,” stating that the missiles launched did not come close to the nuclear-powered vessel.



According to CENTCOM, the USS Abraham Lincoln remains fully operational and continues launching aircraft in support of what officials described as a “relentless campaign” aimed at countering Iranian military capabilities. The command released footage showing ongoing flight operations from the carrier’s deck.

ARABIAN GULF - APRIL 2: An F/A-18E Super Hornet launches from one of four steam powered catapults on the flight deck aboard USS Abraham Lincoln. Lincoln and Carrier Air Wing 14 are conducting combat operations in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Operation Iraqi Freedom is the multi-national coalition effort to liberate the Iraqi people, eliminate Iraq's weapons of mass destruction, and end the regime of Saddam Hussein. (Photo by Tyler J. Clements/U.S. Navy/Getty Images)
An F/A-18E Super Hornet launches from USS Abraham Lincoln in the Arabian Gulf on April 2 during combat operations supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom (Tyler J. Clements/U.S. Navy/Getty Images)

While dismissing the carrier strike claim, CENTCOM confirmed the first US casualties since the escalation began. Officials said three American service members were killed in action and five others were seriously wounded.

Further details about the circumstances of those casualties were not immediately disclosed. They characterized the Iranian report regarding the aircraft carrier as fabricated and intended to project battlefield success that did not occur. 

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Haley Van Erem alleges some university investigations lacked evidence of Title VI violations and were steered toward settlements
50 minutes ago
Trump acknowledged that no peace talks are underway with Tehran as the 60-day deadline for reaching a permanent ceasefire expired
6 hours ago
A Democratic senator’s jab at Trump’s close aide sparked a fierce White House response as fresh scrutiny surrounds Harp’s unusually prominent role
6 hours ago
Last month, Rubio escalated the administration’s fight against the ICC, calling it a State Department-led campaign to dismantle the court
6 hours ago
Sean Spicer says Trump’s next press secretary will likely need his trust, understand his communication style and already have a close relationship with him
7 hours ago
Judge Brian E Murphy rejected a bid to delay ending TPS for about 5,000 Ethiopians as their legal challenge continues
8 hours ago
A planned discussion on violent crime in Washington was abruptly pulled, adding fresh uncertainty around Trump ally Jeanine Pirro’s standing in DC
8 hours ago
Trump had criticized Pirro after her office dropped charges against former Olympian David Hearn, but she quickly appealed a judge’s decision to release Melissa Farris
9 hours ago
Trump has labeled the Strait of Hormuz 'new US territory,' escalating his fight with Iran over a waterway vital to global oil supplies
10 hours ago
Trump casts a mail-in ballot in Florida’s Republican primary while his administration pushes to restrict mail voting nationwide
12 hours ago