Trump stands by pardon of former Honduran president convicted in US: 'It was a Biden setup'

Trump also suggested that the accusation that Juan Orlando Hernandez was a trafficker was made only 'because he was the president of the country'
Donald Trump defended his decision to pardon former Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernandez while speaking with reporters aboard Air Force One (Getty Images)
Donald Trump defended his decision to pardon former Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernandez while speaking with reporters aboard Air Force One (Getty Images)


WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump on Sunday, November 30, defended his decision to pardon former Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernandez, who reportedly once boasted about moving narcotic substances into the US.

Trump stood by his Friday announcement granting a "full and complete pardon" to Hernandez, who was convicted last year of trafficking and firearms offenses and sentenced to 45 years.

Trump says people of Honduras thought Juan Orlando Hernandez was 'set up'

Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One that he was asked by "many of the people of Honduras" to pardon Hernandez, claiming they "said it was a Biden setup."

The president suggested that the accusation that Hernandez was a trafficker was only made "because he was the president of the country."

It may be mentioned that Hernandez' prosecution had started during Trump's first term but wrapped up under Joe Biden's administration.

Former President of Honduras Juan Orlando Hernandez is escorted by Members of the Police Special Forces to be extradited to U.S.to face charges of taking bribes from drug traffickers at Honduran National Directorate of Special Forces on April 21, 2022 in Tegucigalpa, Honduras. Hernandez will stand trial for allegedly aiding the smuggling of hundreds of tons of cocaine to America (Jorge Cabrera/Getty Images)
Former President of Honduras Juan Orlando Hernandez is escorted by Members of the Police Special Forces to be extradited to the US to face charges of taking bribes from d**g traffickers at the Honduran National Directorate of Special Forces on April 21, 2022, in Tegucigalpa, Honduras (Jorge Cabrera/Getty Images)

In 2022, Hernandez was extradited to the US and sentenced in a New York federal courtroom two years later for taking bribes from traffickers to move “well over approximately 4.5 billion individual doses of c**aine."

Trump insisted that "the people of Honduras really thought he was set up, and it was a terrible thing."

He said, "He was the president of the country, and they basically said he was a d**g dealer because he was the president of the country, and they said it was a Biden administration setup. And I looked at the facts, and I agreed with that."

Biden's DOJ accused Juan Orlando Hernandez of abusing his power to further trafficking

The Justice Department, under the presidency of Biden, said Hernandez "abused his power to further one of the largest and most violent d**g trafficking conspiracies in the world," helping heavily armed traffickers smuggle in as much as 400 tons of those substances into the US while publicly supporting anti-narcotics efforts in Central America.

BERLIN, GERMANY - OCTOBER 27:  Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernandez speaks to the media with Ge
Former Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernandez speaks to the media with German Chancellor Angela Merkel following talks at the Chancellery on October 27, 2015, in Berlin, Germany (Sean Gallup/Getty Images)

In 2021, a witness had recounted a statement by Hernandez: "We are going to stuff the d**gs up the gringos' noses, and they're never even going to know it."

When a reporter asked Trump for evidence of the setup claim, he responded, "They could say that you take any country you want, if somebody sells d**gs in that country, that doesn't mean you arrest the president and put him in jail for the rest of his life. That includes this country."

Interestingly, Hernandez's pardon comes as the Trump administration puts increasing focus on vessels in the Caribbean suspected of links to organized cartels.

Meanwhile, CNN reports that Pete Hegseth’s Department of Defense has been responsible for at least 83 deaths due to 21 strikes since September.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Loomer’s strongest objection was directed at the suggestion that Harp and Trump are romantically involved
1 hour ago
The suspect was also reportedly refused service at a Dunkin’ while wearing the unusual mask
1 hour ago
English acknowledged that he had traveled to Washington with the intention of killing a government official
3 hours ago
Zimmerman rejected the suggestion that the blow happened merely as part of a struggle with security
4 hours ago
The store, described as a family-owned operation, was left dealing with the consequences after the crowd departed
6 hours ago
Disney has sued the FCC over early ABC license reviews, alleging retaliation by the Trump administration and warning that scrutiny is affecting political programming
6 hours ago
An 11-year-old boy criticized Donald Trump and referenced Jeffrey Epstein as he explained his anger toward the president in the widely shared footage
13 hours ago
'Hes with me every day even when I’m not thinking about him, he’s certainly part of my heart,' Jill Biden shared
13 hours ago
Melania Trump’s diplomatic outreach has focused on children separated from loved ones during the Russia-Ukraine war, using back-channel communication
14 hours ago
Hunter Tirpak stole the spotlight at Donald Trump’s 2016 Pennsylvania rally after arriving dressed as a miniature Trump and being picked up by him
15 hours ago