Trump weighs F-35 sale to Turkey despite Netanyahu's opposition

US president says stealth fighter deal with Ankara is under active consideration, despite congressional restrictions and Israeli concerns
President Donald Trump addressed the possibility of selling F-35 fighter jets to Turkey during discussions surrounding the NATO summit. (Chris McGrath/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump addressed the possibility of selling F-35 fighter jets to Turkey during discussions surrounding the NATO summit. (Chris McGrath/Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump said he is actively considering selling F-35 stealth fighter jets to Turkey, despite mounting objections from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who has publicly and privately urged Washington to block the deal.

Trump's remarks came as the NATO summit placed renewed focus on US-Turkey relations, exposing a rare policy disagreement between two of America's closest Middle East partners over one of the world's most advanced fighter aircraft.

Speaking to reporters, Trump praised Turkey as a dependable ally and suggested the proposed sale remains under serious review, even though Congress previously prohibited Ankara from purchasing the aircraft.

Trump praises Turkey's loyalty

Trump defended Turkey's standing within NATO while discussing the future of the F-35 program.



"We have a better relationship with Turkey, and Turkey has been in many ways much more loyal than other countries that we think would be loyal," the president said.

Calling the F-35 "the best plane by far," Trump added that selling the aircraft to Turkey was "certainly something we consider."

The remarks represent a notable shift after Trump suspended Turkey from the F-35 program during his first term following Ankara's purchase of Russia's S-400 air defense system.

Since then, Congress has codified restrictions on transferring the fifth-generation fighter to Turkey, leaving questions over how any future sale could proceed.

Congress remains major obstacle for F-35 transfers

The proposed sale faces significant legal hurdles beyond White House approval. 

A United States Marine Corps Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II approaches Marine Corps Air Station Miramar for a landing on January 9, 2026 in San Diego, California. (Photo by Kevin Carter/Getty Images)
A congressional ban imposed after Turkey acquired Russia's S-400 system continues to complicate any F-35 transfer.
 (Kevin Carter/Getty Images)

Turkey was expelled from the multinational F-35 program in 2019 after taking delivery of Russia's S-400 missile defense system, with US officials arguing the Russian platform could compromise sensitive F-35 technology.

Congress subsequently enacted legislation restricting F-35 transfers to Turkey, meaning any effort to resume deliveries would likely require satisfying statutory conditions or securing congressional support.

The uncertainty has raised questions about whether the administration can move forward without lawmakers' approval.

Netanyahu warns against sale to Turkey

Netanyahu has emerged as one of the proposal's strongest critics, arguing that supplying F-35s to Turkey would alter the regional balance of power and weaken Israel's longstanding qualitative military edge.



In an interview with Fox News, the Israeli prime minister warned that arming what he described as "a regime infected by the Muslim Brotherhood" would threaten regional stability.

According to Israeli officials, Netanyahu has also raised the issue directly with Trump in private, urging him to abandon the proposal.

Trump's willingness to keep the sale under consideration marks a rare point of disagreement between the two leaders, whose administrations have generally maintained close ties on Middle East policy. If approved, the deal would represent one of the most consequential US defense policy shifts involving a NATO ally in recent years.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump rejected claims that November's midterm elections influenced his approach to the conflict, saying they had 'nothing to do' with his thinking
23 hours ago
A Wall Street Journal report says Iran used the diplomatic window to strengthen the IRGC, rebuild weapons capacity and prepare for wider conflict
1 day ago
Donald Trump cited cost, diplomacy with Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s Iran stance as the Pentagon reduced US participation in annual military drills
1 day ago
Iranian Army chief Amir Hatami said the reward was created after a surge in requests from Iranians seeking to join the conflict
1 day ago
Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran would decide when the strategic waterway opens or closes, rejecting Washington’s claim of control
3 days ago
Iran said the United States must pledge never to threaten Tehran again and permanently end its war with Iran and its regional allies
Aug 9, 2026
Kazem Gharibabadi said negotiations were essential as inflation hit 88.6% and Iran’s oil exports faced mounting disruption
Aug 9, 2026
Iran said the Strait of Hormuz would remain closed until the US ended military action, lifted sanctions, and withdrew its forces
Aug 8, 2026
Reza Valizadeh also revealed that Iranian authorities have prevented his family from visiting him for five months, which he believes is punishment
Aug 8, 2026
Ron Dermer served as Israel’s ambassador to the US from 2013 to 2021 and later worked as Benjamin Netanyahu’s strategic affairs minister
Aug 8, 2026