Trump's next move on Iran now hinges on one condition

President Donald Trump said the pause in fighting could end quickly if negotiations failed to achieve Washington's objectives
President Donald Trump previously said Iran had not suffered enough and revealed he was considering an unprecedented military operation (Getty Images)
President Donald Trump previously said Iran had not suffered enough and revealed he was considering an unprecedented military operation (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump has reframed the next phase of the US-Iran conflict around a single condition, declaring that whether military action resumes will depend on Iran meeting "100%" of his administration's demands.



The remarks mark a significant shift in the White House's public messaging after Trump paused a planned round of strikes following 13 consecutive days of US military operations.

Rather than signaling a permanent de-escalation, the president made clear the lull is conditional, suggesting diplomacy now has a narrow window to succeed before Washington considers renewed force.

The comments come as indirect negotiations involving Oman continue and just days after Trump indicated he was close to authorizing an even larger military campaign against Iran.

Trump sets new negotiating threshold

WASHINGTON, DC - MAY 27: U.S. President Donald Trump (C) speaks as (L-R) U.S. Interior Secretary Doug Burgum, U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio, U.S. Secretary of War Pete Hegseth, U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick, U.S. Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy, U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security Markwayne Mullin and Administrator of the U.S. Small Business Administration Kelly Loeffler listen during a Cabinet meeting in the Cabinet Room of the White House on May 27, 2026 in Washington, DC. Trump meets with his Cabinet days after saying a peace deal with Iran was “largely negotiated” amid expectations around the re-opening the Strait of Hormuz. (Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images)
The president tied future US military action to whether Tehran delivers the complete outcome his administration is seeking (Win McNamee/Getty Images)

Asked whether he was considering resuming a full-scale war against Iran, Trump made clear that future military decisions would hinge on whether Tehran fully complies with US objectives.

"If we don't get 100% of what we want, absolutely," the president said.

Although Trump did not specify every demand, his administration has consistently insisted that Iran can never acquire a nuclear weapon while pressing Tehran to curb activities Washington considers destabilizing across the Middle East.

The remarks represent a notable evolution in Trump's strategy. Earlier discussions centered on retaliation, deterrence and military pressure. By publicly tying future action to a complete negotiating outcome, Trump has effectively turned the conflict into a high-stakes diplomatic ultimatum backed by the threat of force.

Pause leaves diplomacy under pressure

GOSPORT, ENGLAND - NOVEMBER 17: F-18 jet fighters are seen on the flight deck of USS Gerald R. Ford, on November 17, 2022 in Gosport, England. The USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78) is the lead ship of her class of United States Navy aircraft carriers. Commissioned in 2017, the carrier is powered by two nuclear reactors with a length of 1,092 feet and displacement of 100,000 long tons full load. With a crew of approximately 4,550, 75+ aircraft and state of the art weaponry, the first-in-class is the US Navy's most advanced aircraft carrier. USS Gerald Ford has been carrying out NATO exercises in the North Atlantic with French and Spanish ships. (Photo by Finnbarr Webster/Getty Images)
With military options still on the table, the temporary lull now serves as a narrow diplomatic window before Washington decides its next course of action (Finnbarr Webster/Getty Images)

Trump's comments followed reports that he halted a new round of US strikes after approving daily military operations for nearly two weeks.

The pause came despite the president previously saying Iran had not experienced enough "pain" and revealing he was considering a military operation "bigger than ever before."

At the same time, the administration has continued warning that military options remain fully available.



Trump has also cautioned Iran against supporting further attacks by the Tehran-backed Houthis in the Red Sea, warning that any escalation would bring significant military consequences for both Iran and the radical group.

Together, the president's latest remarks create a new framework for the conflict.

Instead of asking whether Washington will strike Iran again, attention now shifts to whether ongoing negotiations can deliver the complete outcome Trump says is necessary to prevent a return to military action.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump repeatedly told CNN reporter Kristen Holmes to be quiet after she pressed him on North Korea, triggering a White House rebuke
20 minutes ago
Bill Maher called Iran a regime that killed thousands, contrasting it with President Donald Trump, who he said was 'nowhere near as bad'
36 minutes ago
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham exchanged several texts with someone claiming to be Wiles
1 hour ago
Sen Jon Ossoff criticized Trump's relationship with longtime aide Natalie Harp, accusing him of choosing to 'travel with Natalie' over doing his job
2 hours ago
Trump cited his 'very good relationship' with Kim Jong-un for opposing the drills and said South Korea declined his request to help denuclearize Iran
4 hours ago
Trump had previously threatened to 'blow up' Oman if it didn't 'behave', and days earlier said he could claim the Strait of Hormuz as US territory
4 hours ago
Trump confirmed direct contact with IRGC as negotiations stall, while demanding Tehran surrender and declining to set a timeline for a deal
4 hours ago
The justices have now closed off another route in Trump’s $5 million Carroll case, while a separate $83 million appeal remains ahead
4 hours ago
Donald Trump scaled back US-South Korea drills, saying he was 'not happy' with participation due to his 'very good relationship' with Kim Jong-un
13 hours ago
Ossoff praised the USS Abraham Lincoln crew’s service, saying they endure hardship but deserve competent leaders and clarity about the purpose of war
14 hours ago