White House restricts media access in West Wing, citing security concerns

Reporters who wish to speak with WH officials must now schedule an appointment, according to a memo issued by Karoline Leavitt and Steven Cheung
The White House has barred reporters from entering the West Wing’s Upper Press area without prior appointment (Alex Wong/Getty Images)
The White House has barred reporters from entering the West Wing’s Upper Press area without prior appointment (Alex Wong/Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: The Trump administration has imposed new restrictions on media access inside the White House, barring reporters from the West Wing.

Officials cited security concerns after journalists allegedly recorded sensitive information without authorization. The move has sparked speculations about a broader attempt to limit press freedom. 



White House announces media restrictions



The Trump administration on Friday, October 31, announced that the reporters will no longer have free access to an office in the West Wing used by communications staff, marking its latest step to limit media access to White House. 

A memo released Friday by White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt and communications director Steven Cheung stated that reporters must now schedule appointments to speak with White House officials.

According to the memo, under the new rules, reporters will maintain regular access to a separate office adjacent to the briefing room, where lower-level communications staff are located.

WASHINGTON, DC - OCTOBER 30: The White House is decorated for the annual Halloween at the White House event on the South Lawn of the White House on October 30, 2025 in Washington, DC. President Donald Trump and the first lady Melania Trump welcomed welcomed military, law enforcement, and foster and adoptive families, as well as administration officials and their children, to the annual trick-or-treat celebration on the White House grounds. (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)
The White House is decorated for the annual Halloween at the White House event on the South Lawn of the White House on October 30, 2025 in Washington, DC (Alex Wong/Getty Images)

According to the White House, the move was motivated by “recent structural changes” that require communications staff to be responsible for matters about the National Security Council. The memo said, “In this capacity, members of the White House Communications Staff are routinely engaging with sensitive material.”

Speculations over freedom of press

The move also reflects a broader pattern of restricting press access, including barring certain media outlets from closed briefings and events, and enforcing a new set of rules and restrictions at the Pentagon, which prompted many reporters who work there to surrender their press badges and cover the military from outside the headquarters building.

President Donald Trump has also suggested relocating the White House press corps off the White House grounds.

“We have an option here. We could move them very easily across the street,” Trump said earlier this month. 

The new limits “hinder the press corps’ ability to question officials, ensure transparency, and hold the government accountable, to the detriment of the American public,” White House Correspondents’ Association president Weijia Jiang said in a statement.

Earlier attempts to ban the press

WASHINGTON, DC - NOVEMBER 07: U.S. President Donald Trump gets into an exchange with Jim Acosta of C
US President Donald Trump gets into an exchange with Jim Acosta of CNN after giving remarks a day after the midterm elections on November 7, 2018 in the East Room of the White House in Washington, DC (Mark Wilson/Getty Images)

Earlier this year, the White House attempted to ban the Associated Press from covering its events after the news organization declined to refer to the Gulf of Mexico as the “Gulf of America” following Trump’s executive order to change the name.

Although a federal judge ruled that the ban was unlawful, AP’s access remains restricted as the White House seeks an appeal.

Trump has also taken legal actions against various outlets that he deemed to have reported unfavorably about him and his Republican allies.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

President Trump and First Lady Melania Trump were watching and cheering as Kyle Kirkwood went on to take the checkered flag
46 minutes ago
Melania Trump's father, Viktor Knavs, worked as a car salesman and dealer, making automobiles a natural part of her childhood
1 hour ago
The president said Penske had come to Washington 211 times while trying to get the race off the ground
3 hours ago
Footage recorded on August 18 near 32nd Street and Seventh Avenue went viral, prompting theories about underground work or a possible scam
4 hours ago
Earlier, when a reporter asked about her relationship status, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez responded that she does not comment on her private life
6 hours ago
Cleared for an emergency landing, Faith Tenkley realized the landing gear was broken, and the plane was still carrying a heavy fuel load
13 hours ago
Trump said the Freedom 250 Grand Prix will be 'one of the most unforgettable racing events the world has ever seen'
14 hours ago
Kai Trump made quick picks on UFC, Taco Bell, Mar-a-Lago, Air Force One and aliens while answering Katie Pavlich’s playful questions
16 hours ago
Freedom 250 organized the event for America’s 250th anniversary, bringing together male and female high school athletes from every state and territory
16 hours ago
Roommates said Jessica Bowie wore a niqab and largely kept to herself, often retreating to her bedroom after returning home
1 day ago