White House usher claims every president, Trump included, sought larger areas for hosting events

'All the presidents that I had an opportunity to serve always talked about some possibility of an enlarged area for entertaining,' Gary Walters said
PUBLISHED DEC 31, 2025
President Donald Trump's proposed ballroom costs doubled by December 2025 to $400 million, with funding promised through private donations, including his own (Getty Images)
President Donald Trump's proposed ballroom costs doubled by December 2025 to $400 million, with funding promised through private donations, including his own (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump is not the first occupant of the White House to want more room for hosting official events, according to Gary Walters, the longest-serving chief usher in the executive residence’s history.

Walters discussed the issue in an interview with The Associated Press, published on Wednesday, December 31, tied to the release of his recent memoir, 'White House Memories 1970-2007: Recollections of the Longest-Serving Chief Usher'

Walters, who served presidents from Ronald Reagan through George W Bush, said that concerns about limited entertaining space had been raised by multiple administrations.

His comments come as Trump moves forward with plans to construct a large ballroom on the White House grounds. 



Presidents long frustrated by White House limits 

Walters, who spent more than two decades as the White House chief usher, said space constraints were a recurring issue during presidential transitions.

The role of chief usher functions as a general manager of the executive residence, overseeing operations, maintenance and major projects.

According to Walters, discussions about entertaining capacity were among the first topics raised with incoming presidents, first ladies and their social secretaries.

"All the presidents that I had an opportunity to serve always talked about some possibility of an enlarged area for entertaining," Walters said.

The White House and South Lawn are seen from the Washington Monument on June 19, 2025 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Kevin Carter/Getty Images)
The White House and South Lawn are seen from the Washington Monument on June 19, 2025, in Washington, DC (Kevin Carter/Getty Images)

Trump has cited similar concerns in justifying his long-standing proposal to build a White House ballroom.

In July, the White House announced plans for a 90,000-square-foot structure on the east side of the complex that would seat 650 guests at an estimated cost of $200 million.

Trump said that the project would be funded through private donations, including his own. The proposed capacity was later increased to 999 people, and by October, the two-story East Wing was demolished to make way for the construction.

In December, the projected cost reportedly rose to $400 million.

(White House.gov)
The ballroom project is estimated to cost closer to $400 million (White House.gov)

Trump has frequently complained that existing spaces are inadequate for large-scale events.

Walters explained that when set up for a state dinner, the State Dining Room can seat about 130 guests, while the East Room can accommodate roughly 300 chairs, fewer if television equipment is required.

Large outdoor tents have often been used as a workaround, but Walters said that those posed challenges.

“When it rained, the water flows downhill and the grass became soggy, no matter what we tried to do,” Walters said. 

Donald Trump holds up a rendering of the proposed White House ballroom (@WhiteHouse/X)
Donald Trump holds up a rendering of the proposed White House ballroom (@WhiteHouse/X)

A long history of renovations at the White House 

While images of the East Wing’s demolition sparked criticism from historians and preservationists, Walters said that construction has long been part of the White House’s evolution.

He pointed to earlier changes, including the removal of conservatories, greenhouses and stables to build the West Wing in 1902, the addition of a third floor to the residence, and the construction of the East Wing during World War II.

“So there's always been construction going on around the White House,” Walters said.

President Donald Trump holds models of an arch as he delivers remarks during a ballroom fundraising dinner in the East Room of the White House on October 15, 2025, in Washington, DC (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump holds models of an arch as he delivers remarks during a ballroom fundraising dinner in the East Room of the White House on October 15, 2025, in Washington, DC (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

Walters acknowledged that the demolition was personally difficult, noting that he met his wife, Barbara, while working in the East Wing.

“I met my wife at the White House and she worked in the East Wing, so that was a joy for me,” he said. The couple recently celebrated 48 years of marriage.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

James Heidorn calls leaving his 14-year teaching career 'devastating' after community backlash over his personal ICE support
6 hours ago
Hillary Clinton outlined arming Ukraine with missiles, while Petr Macinka urged calm dialogue and rejected labeling opponents 'fascist'
6 hours ago
Sources say Savannah Guthrie may leave 'Today' after her mother’s Tucson abduction, fearing her job may have made her a target
6 hours ago
The former president and first lady cheered courtside with daughter Sasha while enjoying the All-Star Game and sharing family moments
6 hours ago
Australian activist Drew Pavlou says his satirical plan to occupy Billie Eilish’s mansion led to a 30-hour detention at LAX
7 hours ago
Petr Macinka criticized woke culture and gender ideology, while Hillary Clinton defended women’s rights during their tense exchange
7 hours ago
Maher says outrage is emotional, insists his views on Trump haven’t changed and vows to keep mocking progressive activists
9 hours ago
Savannah Guthrie urged Nancy Guthrie’s return, saying it is not too late to act and expressing hope and belief in people’s goodness
9 hours ago
The New York Post alerted the Pima County Sheriff’s Department after finding gloves, as DNA from one may match Nancy Guthrie’s masked kidnapper
10 hours ago
Tucker Carlson says official silence is driving online speculation and warns key details may stay hidden until records are eventually declassified
11 hours ago