Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel opens talks with Trump administration amid crippling fuel shortages

Cuba’s energy crisis deepens as US oil restrictions hit hospitals, transport, and daily life, prompting Diaz-Canel to seek solutions with Washington
Diaz-Canel personally directed talks with Trump administration alongside Raúl Castro and senior officials (Screengrab/X/@agusantonetti, Getty Images)
Diaz-Canel personally directed talks with Trump administration alongside Raúl Castro and senior officials (Screengrab/X/@agusantonetti, Getty Images)

HAVANA, CUBA: Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel has said that his government is talking to people in the Trump administration as the island struggles to secure enough energy due to a US fuel blockade.

Diaz-Canel told Cuban state television that the talks were meant to find ways to solve the country's growing economic and energy problems, which have led to widespread fuel shortages and power outages.

Fuel shortages deepen economic crisis

In a 90-minute news conference broadcast by state media, Diaz-Canel said talks with Washington were aimed at finding solutions to the political differences that divide the communist island and the United States, The New York Times reported. 



However, changes to Cuba's political system are off-limits, Lianys Torres Rivera, Cuba’s chief of mission in the United States, told Politico in an interview.

Since the US cut off Venezuelan oil shipments to Cuba earlier this year, the island's economy has faced mounting difficulties. Torres Rivera said that essential services such as transportation, health, and education are under severe stress, with as many as 11,000 children awaiting surgeries and other medical procedures.

"They have no money. They have no anything right now," President Donald Trump said in February. "Maybe we’ll have a friendly takeover of Cuba."

People inside a private convenience store see Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel speaking on TV in Havana, Cuba, Friday, March 13, 2026. (AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa)
People in a Havana convenience store watched Diaz-Canel speak on TV, March 13, 2026 (AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa)

Dialogue amid political pressure

Despite the pressure campaign, Diaz-Canel said Havana remains open to negotiations with Washington, provided the talks respect Cuba’s sovereignty and political system.

Trump has said a deal with Havana "would be very easily made." In January, he declared a national emergency over Cuba, accusing the regime of aligning with hostile foreign powers and terrorist groups. Last week, he said Cuba was "negotiating with [Secretary of State] Marco [Rubio] and myself and some others," and added that a deal "would be made very easily."

A man gives a girl a spoonful of soup on a street during a blackout in Havana, Wednesday, March 4, 2026. (AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa)
A man gave a girl a spoonful of soup during a blackout in Havana, March 4, 2026 (AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa)

Diaz-Canel said the talks with the United States were needed, in part, "to determine the willingness of both sides to take concrete actions," The New York Times reported. He also added that he would soon welcome an FBI team to investigate 10 Cubans who previously lived in the United States and clashed with the Cuban coast guard last month. 

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks alongside with Hungary's Prime Minister Viktor Orban (Not pictured) during a joint press conference on February 16, 2026, in Budapes, Hungary. (Photo by Janos Kummer/Getty Images)
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio spoke at a press conference in Budapest, Hungary, March 2026 (Janos Kummer/Getty Images)

"Agendas are built, negotiations and conversations take place and agreements are reached. Things we are still far from because we are in the initial phases of this process," Diaz-Canel said.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

On May 14, CIA Director John Ratcliffe visited Havana with President Donald Trump's message linking US engagement to reforms in Cuba
1 day ago
State-linked Iranian media claimed Washington offered a counterproposal easing some oil sanctions during negotiations
1 day ago
Iranian President Masoud President Pezeshkian acknowledged losses from US strikes on Iran and urged officials to avoid rhetoric that fuels division
1 day ago
Tehran says it is coordinating with Muscat to ensure safe passage through the Strait of Hormuz
1 day ago
Iran’s truce proposal called for ending regional conflicts and lifting all economic and maritime restrictions imposed during the war
2 days ago
Report says Trump to speak with Netanyahu as he grows frustrated with Iran’s peace terms
2 days ago
Grafstrom says Istanbul talks focused on ensuring Iran’s smooth World Cup participation
2 days ago
Alex Saab, once powerful under Nicolas Maduro, lost his government roles and influence after Maduro was removed from power
3 days ago
Pope reportedly concerned about AI-generated misinformation and erosion of trust in truth
3 days ago
Beijing agreed to cut import levies and extend approvals for US meat facilities after a 65% drop in bilateral farm trade
3 days ago