DHS identifies three Venezuelan men arrested for attacking Minneapolis ICE agent

DHS says all three men involved in Wednesday’s incident entered the US illegally during Joe Biden’s term
The Venezuelan nationals who attacked an ICE agent have been identified as Julio Cesar Sosa-Celis, Gabriel Alejandro Hernandez-Ledezma, and Alfredo Alejandro Ajorna (DHS)
The Venezuelan nationals who attacked an ICE agent have been identified as Julio Cesar Sosa-Celis, Gabriel Alejandro Hernandez-Ledezma, and Alfredo Alejandro Ajorna (DHS)

MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA: Officials on Thursday, January 15, revealed that the three men arrested for allegedly ambushing an Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agent in Minneapolis are undocumented immigrants from Venezuela. 

The ambush happened on Wednesday and came at a time when anti-ICE protesters have been flooding the streets of Minneapolis.

The demonstrations were sparked by the death of Renee Nicole Good on January 7. Good, an American citizen, was shot dead by an ICE agent during a confrontation.  

Law enforcement at the scene of a reported shooting Wednesday, Jan. 14, 2026, in Minneapolis. (AP Photo/John Locher)
Law enforcement at the scene of a reported shooting on Wednesday, January 14, 2026, in Minneapolis (AP Photo/John Locher)

DHS identifies three men involved in ambush

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) identified three men involved in Wednesday's altercation with an ICE agent in Minneapolis as Julio Cesar Sosa‑Celis, Alfredo Alejandro Ajorna, and Gabriel Alejandro Hernandez‑Ledezma.

All had entered the US illegally during former President Joe Biden's term and are now in ICE custody.

A statement by DHS posted on X (formerly Twitter) explained that the affected ICE agent was part of a group of officers conducting a targeted traffic stop in Minneapolis to nab undocumented immigrants from Venezuela.

Sosa-Celis allegedly tried to flee the scene, and the ICE agent attempted to apprehend him.



"While the subject and law enforcement were in a struggle on the ground, two subjects came out of a nearby apartment and also attacked the law enforcement officer with a snow shovel and broom handle,” the statement said.

"Federal law enforcement officers are facing a 1,300% increase in assaults against them as they put their lives on the line to arrest criminals and lawbreakers," it mentioned.

DHS called for an end to "hateful rhetoric and resistance against men and women who are simply trying to do their jobs." 

U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security Kristi Noem speaks to reporters after participating in a TV interview outside of the White House on January 15, 2026 in Washington, DC. Earlier this morning on Truth Social, U.S. President Donald Trump posted a warning that he may enact the Insurrection Act in response to rising tensions between protesters and federal agents in Minneapolis. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
Secretary of Homeland Security Kristi Noem speaks to reporters after participating in a TV interview outside of the White House on January 15, 2026, in Washington, DC (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

DHS Secretary Kristi Noem said, "What we saw last night in Minneapolis was an attempted murder of federal law enforcement." 

She warned Mayor Jacob Frey and Governor Tim Walz to get their city under control.

"They are encouraging impeding and assault against our law enforcement which is a federal crime, a felony. This is putting the people of Minnesota in harm’s way," Noem said.

The men entered the US during Biden's term

DHS' X page emphasized, "All three of the illegal aliens involved in last night's violent attack on law enforcement were let into our country by the Biden administration."

The department said that Sosa‑Celis illegally entered the US in 2022. He had previously been arrested twice for giving a false name to a peace officer and once for driving without a license. The DHS confirmed that Minnesota authorities released him before ICE could place a detainer.



Ajorna reportedly entered the US illegally in May 2023 and failed to appear at his immigration hearing, leading an immigration judge to issue a final order of removal.



Hernandez‑Ledezma also reportedly entered the US illegally in May 2023 and, according to DHS, the Biden administration designated him as a “non‑enforcement priority.” 



Authorities have not yet reported what charges the three men will face for attacking an ICE agent.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

An 11-year-old boy criticized Donald Trump and referenced Jeffrey Epstein as he explained his anger toward the president in the widely shared footage
5 hours ago
'Hes with me every day even when I’m not thinking about him, he’s certainly part of my heart,' Jill Biden shared
6 hours ago
Melania Trump’s diplomatic outreach has focused on children separated from loved ones during the Russia-Ukraine war, using back-channel communication
7 hours ago
Hunter Tirpak stole the spotlight at Donald Trump’s 2016 Pennsylvania rally after arriving dressed as a miniature Trump and being picked up by him
8 hours ago
Rep Nancy Mace showcased nine tattoos, including religious imagery and a Virginia Woolf quote, after previously keeping much of the ink covered
10 hours ago
Ryder Williams gained national attention after rescuing a 10-year-old boy from rough surf while working as a lifeguard at Seabright State Beach
12 hours ago
Todd Blanche also expressed regret over the lack of an update, acknowledging how heartbreaking the case has been
1 day ago
Brad Cooper visited six countries during a 10-day Middle East tour, met over 50,000 US service members and praised the Lincoln Carrier Strike Group
1 day ago
Joey Jones also questioned what older veterans might think when hearing younger service members complain about ordinary hardships while deployed
1 day ago
The controversy began after a sailor's relative alleged that crew lacked care packages and female sailors ran short of hygiene products
1 day ago