Fact Check: Did Trump make the ‘Iran never lost a negotiation’ remark?

A resurfaced screenshot claims Trump said Iran 'never lost a negotiation' in a post shared years ago
President Donald Trump was photographed during a public appearance amid renewed attention on his 2020 Iran tweet (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
President Donald Trump was photographed during a public appearance amid renewed attention on his 2020 Iran tweet (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

WASHINGTON, DC: Amid a major diplomatic breakthrough easing tensions in the Middle East following talks with Gulf leaders, a viral claim began circulating online alleging that President Donald Trump once said Iran never won a war but never lost a negotiation. The claim quickly gained traction across social media as discussions around a possible Iran deal intensified.

The rumor spread through a screenshot of an alleged post from Trump’s official X account, prompting users to question whether the statement was genuine or fabricated. Here is a closer look at the viral claim and the facts behind it.

Claim: Donald Trump once said Iran never lost a negotiation

(@realDonaldTrump/X)
The screenshot of Trump’s 2020 tweet was widely shared across X and Facebook (@realDonaldTrump/X)

The viral claim surfaced in the form of a screenshot showing a tweet posted from Trump’s official X account in March 2020. The alleged tweet read, “Iran never won a war, but never lost a negotiation.”

Social media users widely shared the screenshot while discussing the ongoing diplomatic developments involving Iran. Many posts claimed that Trump had accurately predicted the current geopolitical situation surrounding negotiations in the Middle East.

The screenshot circulated heavily on X and Facebook, where it accumulated hundreds of thousands of views. While many users believed the post was authentic, others questioned whether the image had been digitally altered or fabricated.

Fact Check: Donald Trump did post the tweet in 2020

President Donald Trump arrives to speak during a Fighting For American Workers event, Friday, May 22, 2026, in Suffern, N.Y. (AP Photo/Ryan Murphy)
President Donald Trump spoke during a Fighting For American Workers event in Suffern, New York, on May 22, 2026 (AP Photo/Ryan Murphy)

The viral screenshot is authentic. Trump did post the tweet on his official Twitter account, now known as X, in 2020. A search of Trump’s verified account confirmed that the post was genuine and publicly available.

The tweet resurfaced after Trump claimed that recent progress in easing tensions with Iran followed extensive talks with leaders across the Middle East and other countries. Diplomatic efforts have reportedly increased in recent weeks as multiple nations push to stabilize the region following months of military escalation.

The renewed attention surrounding the old tweet led many social media users to revisit Trump’s previous comments on Iran and negotiations with the country.

Iran disputes Donald Trump’s Strait of Hormuz remarks

Though Trump suggested that reopening the Strait of Hormuz could emerge as a key outcome of the ongoing negotiations, Iranian media outlets rejected those claims and insisted that control of the waterway would remain with Tehran.

A man waves an Iranian flag for a pro-government campaign under a billboard with graphic showing Strait of Hormuz and sewn lips of U.S. President Donald Trump in a square in downtown Tehran, Iran, Wednesday, May 6, 2026. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)
An Iranian man waved a national flag beneath a billboard referencing the Strait of Hormuz in Tehran on May 6, 2026 (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)

According to an Iranian news agency, Trump’s remarks were “far from reality” and did not accurately reflect the terms currently under discussion.

“Based on the latest exchanged text, if a possible agreement is reached, the Strait of Hormuz will still be under Iran's management,” the agency reported.

“The management of the strait, determining the route, time, manner of passage, and issuing permits will remain exclusively under the control and discretion of the Islamic Republic of Iran,” the report added.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baqaei also stated that the “trend this week has been towards a reduction in disputes,” while noting that several unresolved issues still needed to be addressed through diplomatic mediation.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

The claim about Trump's alleged remark surfaced after 'The Late Show with Stephen Colbert' ended on Thursday, May 21
1 hour ago
Viral posts showed a TPSI poll with Kamala Harris leading JD Vance and other top Republicans by over 8 points
2 hours ago
A post referenced a 1999 recommendation letter in which Bettina Anderson’s father reportedly called Epstein 'a gentleman of the highest integrity'
18 hours ago
A 22-second clip showed Donald Trump exiting a black SUV, walking briskly up White House steps, and entering as the doors closed behind him
19 hours ago
According to the reports, 32-year-old Iraqi national Mohammad Baqer Saad Dawood Al-Saadi had pledged to kill Ivanka Trump
20 hours ago
The rumor surfaced amid renewed Covid-19 origin debates, with a former CIA officer alleging Dr Anthony Fauci influenced views on the lab leak theory
20 hours ago
The 250th anniversary of American independence is just 41 days away
22 hours ago
Flight-tracking data showed a sharp drop in air traffic over western Iran, with near-empty skies fueling speculation of possible US military action
22 hours ago
'No president in history has put personal greed ahead of the country like Donald Trump,' part of the purported cover’s subtitle reads
1 day ago
The viral image surfaced amid ongoing speculation about Kelly Osbourne's significant weight loss
1 day ago