US Navy hits new milestone in Iranian port blockade as Tehran faces fresh pressure
WASHINGTON, DC: The US military on Saturday, May 23, announced that its blockade of Iranian ports has reached a significant operational benchmark, saying American forces have redirected 100 commercial vessels since the campaign began in April.
US Central Command (CENTCOM), which oversees American military operations in the Middle East, said the maritime operation has effectively choked off commercial access to Iranian ports while maintaining humanitarian shipping lanes.
US military touts 'milestone' in Iran blockade
“Over the past six weeks, more than 15,000 Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and Airmen have redirected 100 vessels, disabled four, and allowed 26 humanitarian aid ships to pass,” CENTCOM said in a statement.
The blockade, launched on April 13, marks one of the most aggressive US maritime pressure campaigns against Iran in recent years and reflects Washington’s broader effort to tighten economic and strategic pressure on Tehran.
CENTCOM says the operation is squeezing Iran economically
CENTCOM Commander Adm Brad Cooper praised the operation’s effectiveness, saying American personnel had enforced the blockade with “precision and professionalism.”
“Our service members are doing extraordinary work,” Cooper said. “They have been highly effective by executing the mission with precision and professionalism, allowing zero trade into and out of Iranian ports which has squeezed Iran economically.”
According to CENTCOM, the blockade is targeting all commercial maritime activity linked to Iranian ports and coastal zones, including facilities along the Arabian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman.
“The blockade is being enforced against vessels of all nations entering or departing Iranian ports and coastal areas, including all Iranian ports on the Arabian Gulf and Gulf of Oman,” the command said.
The announcement signals an escalation in Washington’s efforts to isolate Tehran economically following months of heightened regional tensions involving Iran and US allies in the Middle East.
Massive US naval presence supports operation
CENTCOM said the blockade is being supported by a large-scale deployment of American military assets across the region.
More than 200 aircraft and warships are currently involved in the operation, including two major carrier strike groups and multiple amphibious and missile-defense units.
Among the formations supporting the mission are the Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group, the George HW Bush Carrier Strike Group, the Tripoli Amphibious Ready Group and the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit, alongside several guided-missile destroyers.
The scale of the deployment underscores the strategic importance Washington has placed on restricting Iranian trade routes and deterring any potential retaliation from Tehran.
Despite the sweeping blockade, US officials emphasized that humanitarian shipments are still being permitted to reach Iran.
CENTCOM said 26 humanitarian aid ships had been allowed safe passage during the operation, an effort likely aimed at countering criticism that the blockade could worsen civilian suffering inside the country.
Iranian officials have previously condemned US sanctions and maritime restrictions as economic warfare, arguing that such measures disproportionately hurt ordinary civilians while increasing instability across the region.