Ghislaine Maxwell’s family ‘astonished’ by former Prince Andrew’s arrest

Ghislaine Maxwell’s family criticizes unequal treatment in legal cases as Andrew faces investigation over alleged misconduct as UK trade envoy
PUBLISHED 1 HOUR AGO
Ghislaine Maxwell’s family reacted with astonishment following Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest (Getty Images)
Ghislaine Maxwell’s family reacted with astonishment following Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: The family of Ghislaine Maxwell has spoken out following the arrest of former Prince Andrew, expressing astonishment at the development. Maxwell, who is serving a 20-year prison sentence for her role in Jeffrey Epstein’s sex trafficking operation, has previously criticized the legal system and highlighted disparities in how cases are handled. 

In a statement posted on X, Maxwell’s family wrote, “Astonished to see Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested today over alleged misconduct in public office linked to material from the so‑called Epstein ‘Files.’ He is entitled to the presumption of innocence and a fair process – which our sister Ghislaine never received. We need transparency, evidence, and the same rules for everyone – not trial by media and political expediency.”



Details of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was taken into custody on February 19, 2026, coinciding with his 66th birthday, at his residence on King Charles’ Sandringham estate in Norfolk. He was released approximately 11 hours later and has not been formally charged.

Authorities have clarified that the arrest does not relate to any s****l misconduct allegations. Instead, it is part of an ongoing investigation into whether Andrew shared sensitive information with Jeffrey Epstein during his tenure as a UK trade envoy. As part of the inquiry, police reportedly conducted searches of his former Windsor residence. 

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor is seen returning after leaving police custody, following his arrest on February 19, 2026 in Sandringham, Norfolk. Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office, following police investigation into the recently release Epstein files. The former prince continues to deny any wrongdoing. (Peter Nicholls/Getty Images)
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was seen leaving police custody after his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office (Peter Nicholls/Getty Images)

King Charles’s statement on Andrew’s arrest

King Charles addressed the situation, emphasizing the importance of an impartial legal process. “I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office,” he said. “What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities.”

The King underscored the necessity of allowing the law to take its course, adding, “In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co‑operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.”

Catherine, Princess of Wales, Queen Camilla, Princess Charlotte of Wales, King Charles III, Prince William, Prince of Wales and Prince George of Wales attend the Christmas Morning Service at Sandringham Church on December 25, 2024 in Sandringham, Norfolk. (Photo by Samir Hussein/WireImage)
King Charles III and the royal family attended the Christmas Morning Service at Sandringham Church in 2024, prior to Andrew’s arrest (Samir Hussein/WireImage) 

The Maxwell family’s reaction highlights ongoing scrutiny of public figures connected to Epstein and the continuing debates over fairness and transparency in high-profile legal cases.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Eileen Gu reacts after JD Vance questions US-born athletes competing abroad
9 hours ago
Court filing says settlement fund could disburse $35 million upon approval of 40+ eligible claims
12 hours ago
Alysa Liu finished with a total score of 226.79, including a season-best 150.20 in the free skate and 76.59 in the short program
18 hours ago
Amber Glenn, Team USA’s first openly queer woman skater, opened up about emotional toll and online backlash after her 13th-place Olympic finish
19 hours ago
Congressional candidate Clay Fuller mentioned that his daughter, Tallulah, had received detention for missing school to attend the rally
19 hours ago
Nevada County authorities confirmed that eight people died, while a ninth person remained missing and was presumed dead
19 hours ago
Performance highlighted fatal Minneapolis shootings by federal agents and used dance to draw attention to the deaths of Good and Pretti
21 hours ago
Sonora authorities said that no formal collaboration request had been received, though they remained open to cooperating through established channels
1 day ago
The Commission of Fine Arts approved the $400 million project in a 6–0 vote, with one recusal, advancing plans for a major East Wing expansion
1 day ago
'There's so much more that needs to be done here. I'm hoping they conduct a full investigation and there's a conviction', Sky Roberts said
1 day ago