Gov Beshear hails 'big victory' after court voids Trump tariffs: 'People are owed their money'
WASHINGTON, DC: Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear, a Democrat widely seen as a potential 2028 presidential contender, welcomed Friday’s Supreme Court ruling that struck down President Donald Trump's emergency-based tariff policy, calling it a “big victory” for American families and businesses.
Speaking on Saturday, February 21, on ‘The Weekend’ on MSNOW, Beshear argued that the tariffs amounted to an unlawful tax on Americans.
“Americans and American businesses have paid 90% of all of those tariffs,” Beshear said. “The president can’t unilaterally tax the American people. That’s what the Supreme Court said. And now I think our people are owed their money.”
Calls for refunds gain momentum after court ruling
Beshear said he was tempted to invoice Trump on behalf of Kentuckians for the costs imposed by the tariffs, noting that families were already struggling with rising expenses.
“When we look at how hard it is to get by right now, rent, mortgages, groceries - this was another thousand-plus dollars of costs on every Kentuckian,” he said. “The president made life harder, and it’s time that he stops it,” he added.
Beshear’s comments echoed similar calls from other Democratic governors and potential presidential contenders. California Governor Gavin Newsom sharply criticized the economic impact of the tariffs, while Illinois Governor JB Pritzker went further, demanding restitution.
Pritzker sent Trump a letter seeking a refund of roughly $1,700 per household, amounting to about $8.68 billion statewide, arguing that the tariffs drove up prices on everyday goods.
The letter included an invoice marked “Past Due – Delinquent,” which Pritzker’s campaign later published online and shared on X with a blunt message: “Cut the check.”
Trump responds with fresh tariff hike
The political backlash came even as Trump doubled down on tariffs.
On Saturday, he announced that he would raise the global tariffs imposed a day earlier from 10% to 15%, despite the Supreme Court ruling that he exceeded his authority by using emergency powers.
In a lengthy post on Truth Social, Trump blasted the court’s decision as “ridiculous,” “poorly written,” and “extraordinarily anti-American,” insisting the new tariffs were lawful.
He said that the 15% rate represented the “fully allowed, and legally tested” level and argued that many countries had been “ripping the US off for decades.” Trump added that his administration would roll out additional “legally permissible” tariffs in the coming months.
Following the court’s 6–3 decision, Trump said he would rely on Section 122 of US trade law to impose tariffs, rather than emergency authority. That provision allows presidents to levy duties of up to 15%, but only on a temporary basis.
Under the law, such tariffs require congressional approval after 150 days to remain in effect, setting up a potential clash with lawmakers if Trump seeks to extend them.