House Democrats weigh legal action after DOJ allegedly stalls full Epstein files release

Todd Blanche defended the DOJ’s staggered release plan for the Epstein files as he cited overwhelming volume of records
UPDATED DEC 20, 2025
Jamie Raskin and Robert Garcia accused the DOJ of defying Congress and, in their joint statement, warned of legal action, citing violations of the 'Epstein Files Transparency Act'  (Getty Images)
Jamie Raskin and Robert Garcia accused the DOJ of defying Congress and, in their joint statement, warned of legal action, citing violations of the 'Epstein Files Transparency Act' (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Two senior House Democrats said on Friday, December 19, they are "examining all legal options" after the Justice Department announced that it would release only part of the unclassified Jeffrey Epstein files by the congressionally mandated deadline.

The warning came after Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche said that the department would publish several hundred thousand documents on Friday, with additional records released in the coming weeks.

Recent legislation required the Justice Department to make the files public within 30 days of the bill's passage.



Democrats accuse DOJ of violating federal law 

The dispute centers on whether a phased release complies with the Epstein Files Transparency Act, a law passed with bipartisan support that compels the department to post all unclassified materials by the deadline, while allowing limited redactions to protect victims' identities.

Lawmakers backing the legislation claim that anything short of a full release would violate its terms. 

Reps Robert Garcia of California and Jamie Raskin of Maryland, the top Democrats on the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee and the Judiciary Committee, issued a joint statement accusing the Justice Department of defying both Congress and the law. 

WASHINGTON, DC - JULY 29: Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-MD) speaks during the House Judiciary Subcommittee on
Jamie Raskin (D-MD) speaks during the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Antitrust, Commercial and Administrative Law hearing on Online Platforms and Market Power in the Rayburn House Office Building, July 29, 2020, on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC (Graeme Jennings-Pool/Getty Images)

“Donald Trump and the Department of Justice are now violating federal law as they continue covering up the facts and the evidence about Jeffrey Epstein’s decades-long, billion-dollar, international s*x t******king ring," the lawmakers said.

"For months, [Attorney General] Pam Bondi has denied survivors the transparency and accountability they have demanded and deserve and has defied the Oversight Committee’s subpoena," it continued. 

Rep. Robert Garcia (Getty Images)
Rep Robert Garcia issued a joint statement with Rep Jamie Raskin about the possible DOJ delay regarding the full release of the Epstein files (Getty Images)

"The Department of Justice is now making clear it intends to defy Congress itself. We are now examining all legal options in the face of this violation of federal law. The survivors of this nightmare deserve justice, the co-conspirators must be held accountable, and the American people deserve complete transparency from DOJ," the statement concluded.

While members of Congress have historically faced challenges establishing legal standing to sue the executive branch, Raskin's office had previously formed a litigation task force to support related cases.

Courts have sometimes intervened when federal agencies were found to be in violation of statutory requirements.

Former U.S. President Donald Trump with attorney Todd Blanche speaks to the media during his trial for allegedly covering up hush money payments at Manhattan Criminal Court on May 21, 2024 in New York City. Trump was charged with 34 counts of falsifying business records last year, which prosecutors say was an effort to hide a potential sex scandal, both before and after the 2016 presidential election. Trump is the first former U.S. president to face trial on criminal charges. (Photo by Curtis Means-Pool/Getty Images)
Donald Trump, with attorney Todd Blanche, speaks to the media during his trial for allegedly covering up hush money payments at Manhattan Criminal Court on May 21, 2024, in New York City (Curtis Means-Pool/Getty Images)

DOJ cites sheer volume of records behind delay decision

Todd Blanche said the department's decision to stagger the release was driven by the sheer volume of documents requiring review.

"Several hundred thousand" records would be released on Friday, with "several hundred thousand more" expected in the coming weeks, he said.

The law permits redactions to protect the identifying information of victims and survivors. 



The planned partial release has also drawn criticism from some Republicans who supported the legislation.

Rep Thomas Massie of Kentucky, who helped force a floor vote on the 'Epstein Files Transparency Act', said that the law's requirements were clear.

Posting an image of the statue on X, Massie highlighted the 30-day deadline and said there was "no ambiguity" about what must be released.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump lashes out at Supreme Court justices after they strike down his emergency tariffs, sparking Maher’s satirical take
6 hours ago
The Capitol Rotunda honor is reserved for presidents, top officials, and select civilians; Jackson’s family plans local memorials instead
7 hours ago
Representatives Ro Khanna and Thomas Massie said they will bring Epstein survivors, with up to 12 victims expected to attend
7 hours ago
Pritzker says Trump’s tariff policy harmed Illinois families and farms, calling for $8.6B in direct compensation after Supreme Court ruling
8 hours ago
Nancy Pelosi said the Supreme Court rightly struck down the tariffs, upholding the Constitution while 'rejecting an abuse of executive power'
8 hours ago
Justice Brett Kavanaugh argued tariffs regulate imports and said lawmakers, not courts, should settle the trade dispute
8 hours ago
Newsom accused Trump of self-dealing and cronyism, saying his tariff push reflects desperation and weak leadership
9 hours ago
At the WH, Trump said the ruling is contradictory as he can take harsh trade action against countries but cannot impose even a small tariff fee
10 hours ago
Omar argues only Congress can authorize military action, warning unilateral moves could drag the US into another conflict
11 hours ago
Vance says the 6-3 decision limits presidential trade powers and makes it harder to shield US jobs and supply chains
12 hours ago