Infantino breaks silence on Balogun ban controversy: 'FIFA's judicial bodies are independent'

'I read the decisions of the FIFA Disciplinary Committee when they are issued. Sometimes I am surprised by them', Gianni Infantino said
FIFA President Gianni Infantino said he told President Donald Trump the case would be decided by FIFA’s independent judicial bodies through the federation's established legal process (Win McNamee/Getty Images)
FIFA President Gianni Infantino said he told President Donald Trump the case would be decided by FIFA’s independent judicial bodies through the federation's established legal process (Win McNamee/Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: After a huge controversy over the suspension of Folarin Balogun's red card following the intervention from President Donald Trump, FIFA President Gianni Infantino broke his silence to clarify that the decision was not politically influenced and that the judicial body was independent.

Huge controversy erupted after the governing body FIFA announced that Balogun’s suspension would be deferred for a one-year probationary period, allowing the key US player to remain available for the clash against Belgium.

The development came after Trump reportedly asked Infantino to rethink his decision to ban Balogun.

SANTA CLARA, CALIFORNIA - JULY 01: Folarin Balogun #20 of the United States reacts to receiving a red card for a foul on Tarik Muharemovic #4 of Bosnia and Herzegovina during the FIFA World Cup 2026 Round of 32 match between USA and Bosnia and Herzegovina at San Francisco Bay Area Stadium on July 01, 2026 in Santa Clara, California. (Photo by Charlotte Wilson/Getty Images)
Folarin Balogun of the United States reacts to receiving a red card for a foul on Tarik Muharemovic of Bosnia and Herzegovina during the FIFA World Cup 2026 Round of 32 match between USA and Bosnia and Herzegovina at San Francisco Bay Area Stadium on July 1, 2026 in Santa Clara, California (Charlotte Wilson/Getty Images)

Gianni Infantino broke silence on Folarin Balogun's red card decision

FIFA President Gianni Infantino broke his silence on the federation’s decision to reverse a red card handed to American striker Folarin Balogun last week.

“I have seen the public comments regarding the decision of the independent FIFA Disciplinary Committee related to the suspension of Folarin Balogun, and I would like to reiterate a fundamental principle of FIFA’s governance,” Infantino said in a statement issued on Monday, July 6.

"FIFA’s judicial bodies are independent. They operate autonomously, apply the FIFA Disciplinary Code, and decide cases based on the applicable regulations and the specific facts before them," he added. 

“Their independence is essential to the credibility and integrity of football, and this must always be respected,” he said.

U.S. President Donald Trump (R) and FIFA President Gianni Infantino pose for photographs with a soccer uniform in the Oval Office at the White House August 28, 2018 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump and FIFA President Gianni Infantino pose for photographs in a soccer uniform in the Oval Office at the White House, August 28, 2018, in Washington, DC (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

Gianni Infantino reveals what he discussed with Trump

Infantino further acknowledged that Trump had called him and discussed the red card action against Folarin Balogun.

He told the president, "There is an ongoing legal process involving FIFA’s independent judicial bodies and that the case would be decided in due course by the competent bodies. That is how FIFA’s system works, and it is a principle that I will always uphold.”

“I read the decisions of the FIFA Disciplinary Committee when they are issued. Sometimes I am surprised by them. Sometimes I agree with them, and sometimes I disagree,” he continued.

WASHINGTON, DC - MARCH 07: U.S. President Donald Trump speaks alongside President of Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) Gianni Infantino after unveiling the 2025 Club World Cup trophy in the Oval Office at the White House on March 07, 2025 in Washington, DC. President Trump signed an executive order establishing a White House Task Force for the 2026 World Cup. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump speaks alongside President of Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) Gianni Infantino after unveiling the 2025 Club World Cup trophy in the Oval Office at the White House on March 7, 2025 in Washington, DC (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

“What I always do, however, is respect those decisions and the autonomy of the bodies that make them. Whether we personally like a decision or not is irrelevant,” he added.

The regulatory body is facing heavy criticism for allegedly engaging in corruption by making decisions according to President Donald Trump's wishes.

President Trump, during the press conference on Monday, confirmed that he had called Gianni Infantino to request that FIFA review its decision on Balogun, but did not force the regulatory body to change its decision.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

English acknowledged that he had traveled to Washington with the intention of killing a government official
1 hour ago
Zimmerman rejected the suggestion that the blow happened merely as part of a struggle with security
2 hours ago
The store, described as a family-owned operation, was left dealing with the consequences after the crowd departed
4 hours ago
Disney has sued the FCC over early ABC license reviews, alleging retaliation by the Trump administration and warning that scrutiny is affecting political programming
4 hours ago
An 11-year-old boy criticized Donald Trump and referenced Jeffrey Epstein as he explained his anger toward the president in the widely shared footage
10 hours ago
'Hes with me every day even when I’m not thinking about him, he’s certainly part of my heart,' Jill Biden shared
11 hours ago
Melania Trump’s diplomatic outreach has focused on children separated from loved ones during the Russia-Ukraine war, using back-channel communication
12 hours ago
Hunter Tirpak stole the spotlight at Donald Trump’s 2016 Pennsylvania rally after arriving dressed as a miniature Trump and being picked up by him
13 hours ago
Rep Nancy Mace showcased nine tattoos, including religious imagery and a Virginia Woolf quote, after previously keeping much of the ink covered
15 hours ago
Ryder Williams gained national attention after rescuing a 10-year-old boy from rough surf while working as a lifeguard at Seabright State Beach
17 hours ago