Iran claims missile, drone strikes on US bases in Bahrain, Kuwait after fresh American attacks

Iran says it launched missile and drone strikes on US military sites after fresh American attacks
Iran's Revolutionary Guards claimed they struck US military sites in Bahrain and Kuwait following fresh American military action (Getty Images)
Iran's Revolutionary Guards claimed they struck US military sites in Bahrain and Kuwait following fresh American military action (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) says it carried out missile and drone strikes against US military sites in Bahrain and Kuwait on Wednesday, July 8, in what it described as retaliation for fresh American attacks on Iranian military targets.

The reported operation marks another sharp escalation in tensions between Washington and Tehran, with both sides accusing the other of violating a fragile ceasefire agreement.

The latest exchange came only hours after the United States launched a new wave of strikes in response to attacks on commercial vessels in the Strait of Hormuz.



Iran says it targeted US military bases, shot down MQ-9 Reaper drone

According to the IRGC, Iranian forces launched a joint missile and drone operation against several American military locations in the Gulf region.

The group said the operation targeted Bandar Salman, Bahrain's Fifth Naval District and Ali Al Salem Air Base in Kuwait.

Iran also claimed it shot down a US MQ-9 Reaper drone that was allegedly attempting to interfere with the operation.

An MQ-9 Reaper remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) flies by during a training mission at Creech Air Force Base on November 17, 2015 in Indian Springs, Nevada. The Pentagon has plans to expand combat air patrols flights by remotely piloted aircraft by as much as 50 percent over the next few years to meet an increased need for surveillance, reconnaissance and lethal airstrikes in more areas around the world. (Photo by Isaac Brekken/Getty Images)
An MQ-9 Reaper remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) flies by during a training mission at Creech Air Force Base on November 17, 2015 in Indian Springs, Nevada (Getty Images)

Air raid sirens sounded across Bahrain and Kuwait as the reported attacks unfolded.

The Kuwaiti army later said its air defense systems were responding to what it described as "hostile" missile and drone attacks.

At the time of reporting, the US military had not commented on Iran's claims or confirmed any damage to its facilities or aircraft.

US says strikes were response to attacks on commercial shipping

Earlier in the day, the United States launched fresh military strikes against Iran and also revoked its authorization allowing Iranian oil sales.

According to US Central Command, the military operation targeted more than 60 small boats belonging to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, along with other assets.

CENTCOM said the strikes were intended to impose a heavy cost on Iran after attacks on three commercial vessels traveling through the Strait of Hormuz.



The unwarranted aggression by Iranian forces is a clear and dangerous violation of the ceasefire and undermines freedom of navigation," CENTCOM said in a statement.

The latest military action represents another setback for efforts to preserve the ceasefire agreement reached between the two countries.

NATO backs US response as Iran condemns military action

NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte defended Washington's decision before a summit of NATO leaders in Ankara.

According to Rutte, the American response was justified after Iran allegedly violated the ceasefire.

"When you have a ceasefire and Iran is basically violating the ceasefire, I think it is totally crucial that the US forcefully react," he said.

Iran's Khatam al-Anbiya Central Headquarters strongly condemned the American strikes, describing them as a "blatant act of aggression."

The military command also warned of a "crushing response" and said Tehran would not allow the United States to interfere with the management of the Strait of Hormuz.

The exchange further deepened fears that the ceasefire could completely collapse.

Iran accuses US of breaking ceasefire as regional tensions continue rising

Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf also accused Washington of violating the ceasefire agreement.

He argued that the latest US military strikes, renewed oil sanctions, objections to Iran's adjustments in the Strait of Hormuz and Israeli attacks against Lebanon together represented breaches of the understanding between the two countries.

"The era of bullying and extortion is over," Qalibaf wrote in a post on X. "We don't fold."



Meanwhile, Iranian media reported explosions around the country's main oil hub on Kharg Island, as well as on Qeshm Island and in the southern port cities of Sirik and Bandar Abbas.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump rejected claims that November's midterm elections influenced his approach to the conflict, saying they had 'nothing to do' with his thinking
1 day ago
A Wall Street Journal report says Iran used the diplomatic window to strengthen the IRGC, rebuild weapons capacity and prepare for wider conflict
1 day ago
Donald Trump cited cost, diplomacy with Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s Iran stance as the Pentagon reduced US participation in annual military drills
1 day ago
Iranian Army chief Amir Hatami said the reward was created after a surge in requests from Iranians seeking to join the conflict
1 day ago
Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran would decide when the strategic waterway opens or closes, rejecting Washington’s claim of control
3 days ago
Iran said the United States must pledge never to threaten Tehran again and permanently end its war with Iran and its regional allies
Aug 9, 2026
Kazem Gharibabadi said negotiations were essential as inflation hit 88.6% and Iran’s oil exports faced mounting disruption
Aug 9, 2026
Iran said the Strait of Hormuz would remain closed until the US ended military action, lifted sanctions, and withdrew its forces
Aug 8, 2026
Reza Valizadeh also revealed that Iranian authorities have prevented his family from visiting him for five months, which he believes is punishment
Aug 8, 2026
Ron Dermer served as Israel’s ambassador to the US from 2013 to 2021 and later worked as Benjamin Netanyahu’s strategic affairs minister
Aug 8, 2026