Javier Bardem accuses Trump, Putin and Netanyahu of fueling violence through ‘toxic masculinity’

Javier Bardem warned about growing media monopolies and said social media’s influence on young people is 'very dangerous'
Javier Bardem said Hollywood is changing on Gaza and admitted he fears backlash for speaking out on Palestine (Getty Images)
Javier Bardem said Hollywood is changing on Gaza and admitted he fears backlash for speaking out on Palestine (Getty Images)

CANNES, FRANCE: Actor Javier Bardem spoke out against toxic masculinity and global violence during a press conference at the Cannes Film Festival on Sunday, May 17. His remarks came amid ongoing conflicts in Gaza, Lebanon, Iran, and Ukraine that have resulted in significant loss of life.

Bardem also addressed Hollywood’s response to Palestine, growing concerns over media monopolies, the influence of social media on younger generations, and criticized world leaders including President Donald Trump, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, and President Vladimir Putin.

Javier Bardem poses for photographers at the photo call for the film 'The Beloved' during the 79th international film festival, Cannes, southern France, Sunday, May 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Andreea Alexandru)
Javier Bardem poses for photographers at the photo call for the film 'The Beloved' during the 79th international film festival, Cannes, southern France, Sunday, May 17, 2026 (AP Photo/Andreea Alexandru)

Javier Bardem addresses Gaza war and Hollywood backlash

The Oscar-winning actor, who is attending Cannes for his latest film 'The Beloved,' said he believes attitudes in Hollywood are changing regarding Palestine. Bardem said “everyone is beginning to realize … this is unacceptable” while discussing the war in Gaza.

When asked whether he feared professional consequences for publicly denouncing the conflict, Bardem admitted, “The fear does exist, granted, but one has to do things even if you feel a bit scared or afraid. You have to be able to look at yourself in the mirror, look at yourself in the eyes and that was my case."

He added, "My mother taught me to be the way I am. There is no plan B. This entails consequences, which I am fully ready to shoulder.”

RE'IM, ISRAEL - OCTOBER 07: Smoke rises over the Gaza Strip after an Israeli strike as seen from the Israeli side on October 07, 2025 in Re'im, Israel. Various commemorations are taking place around Israel to mark the second anniversary of the Hamas-led attacks in Israel and the Gaza border area on October 7, 2023. During the attacks, 251 hostages were taken and around 1,200 people were killed, making it the deadliest attack in Israel's history. In response to the attacks, Israel launched a military campaign in Gaza, which has so far killed more than 67,000 people and displaced around 90% of the enclave's population of 2.1 million. (Photo by Chris McGrath/Getty Images)
Smoke rises over the Gaza Strip after an Israeli strike as seen from the Israeli side on October 07, 2025 in Re'im, Israel (Chris McGrath/Getty Images)

Bardem also stated that while he “can’t corroborate” the existence of a blacklist in the entertainment industry, he has “continued to receive many offers all over the world,” which makes him believe that “things are changing.”

He further said, “Everyone is beginning to realize, thanks to the younger generation who is more aware of situations we’re experiencing quite directly on our phones and on other screens, this is unacceptable. It cannot be justified. And there can be no reason, no explanation for this.”

The actor described the situation in Gaza as a “fact,” saying, “You can fight against it, you can try to justify it, explain it. That is a fact. You can be against it, or you can justify it.” Bardem added, “If you justify it with your silence or with your support. Those are facts, for me.”

He also suggested that those responsible for creating so-called blacklists may eventually face consequences, saying, “I believe that those who are drawing up the so-called blacklists will actually be exposed, and they will be the ones suffering the so-called consequences, at least on a public and social level. And this is a major change.”

President Donald Trump speaks to reporters as he leaves the White House for travel to Beijing, Tuesday, May 12, 2026, in Washington, to meet with China's President Xi Jinping. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)
Donald Trump speaks to reporters as he leaves the White House for travel to Beijing, Tuesday, May 12, 2026, in Washington, to meet with Xi Jinping (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)

Javier Bardem slams Trump, Putin, and Netanyahu

Later during the press conference, Bardem expressed concern over democracy and media control, criticizing the merger between Paramount Global and Warner Bros.

He said, “I believe that there is an increasing monopoly in the world of information, that’s one of the problems that we note given Paramount and Warner Bros. and their merger, for example.”

Bardem further questioned media control, adding, “In terms of information, who is actually going to control all of this, what we’re listening to, what we’re seeing? So I think that is very clear and is growing in importance with tech and social networks and rapid, summed-up messages which are very populist.”

He also warned about the influence of technology and social media on younger generations, saying, “They indeed have an impact on the young generation. That concerns me no end. We have to ensure the younger generation continues to think, apply reason, they need to understand, to compare, to check information. if they don’t it’s very dangerous, indeed.”

JERUSALEM, ISRAEL - JANUARY 21:  Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu speaks at a Likud Party
Benjamin Netanyahu speaks at a Likud Party campaign rally on January 21, 2020 in Jerusalem, Israel. Israel to hold third election in less than a year after politicans faild to form a coalition (Amir Levy/Getty Images)

The actor then criticized world leaders including Trump, Putin, and Netanyahu, accusing them of displaying aggressive “male toxic behavior.” Bardem said these attitudes contribute to violence and conflict globally.

Bardem recently told Variety that he has “always felt that I have microphones and recorders recording my voice, and I have the right to denounce what I think is wrong.”

The actor is currently promoting 'The Beloved', directed by Rodrigo Sorogoyen. The film received a seven-minute standing ovation following its premiere on May 16.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

A White House post is the latest example of the much-controversial pattern followed by Trump’s second-term communications team
7 minutes ago
The Mountain Home Air Force Base went into a lockdown after the fiery crash with rest of the two-day air show getting canceled
1 hour ago
Eric Metaxas told a DC prayer gathering Donald Trump’s ballroom plan reflects divine purpose amid faith-themed speeches.
1 hour ago
Donald Trump shared another AI image showing himself at a futuristic space command center with a 'target destroyed' mushroom cloud display
2 hours ago
Taiwan Strait tensions may hit markets and restrict access to next-gen AI processors
12 hours ago
Donald Trump said the scope of the project had been expanded to improve both longevity and visual appeal
18 hours ago
Trump shared photos of the renovated walkway just days after calling parts of the White House rundown and neglected
18 hours ago
Rick Harrison praised Donald Trump’s 'No Tax on Tips' policy, saying it has been a major help for Las Vegas service workers
21 hours ago
'We must help liberate the Iranian people, and we can do it. We can do it without our troops on the ground. Without a forever war,' Mark Levin said
21 hours ago
Conservative influencer Bo Loudon shared photos of Donald Trump, calling him '79 is the new 39'
21 hours ago