Jeff Bezos praises Trump as 'more disciplined', declares 'I'm on America’s side'
WASHINGTON, DC: Jeff Bezos offered unusually warm praise for Donald Trump on Wednesday, May 20, describing the president as more focused, more mature, and significantly more disciplined than during his first White House term.
The remarks are likely to intensify scrutiny around Bezos’s evolving relationship with Trump, especially after months of criticism that the billionaire entrepreneur and media owner has been steadily moving closer to the administration politically and commercially.
🚨 JEFF BEZOS JUST DROPPED THIS LINE ON PRESIDENT TRUMP:
— Eric Daugherty (@EricLDaugh) May 20, 2026
"I think he is a more mature, more disciplined version of himself...I'm on the side of America."
Cue the meltdowns 🤣 pic.twitter.com/Raju0SucYD
Jeff Bezos heaps praise on Trump
Speaking during an extended interview with CNBC’s Andrew Ross Sorkin, Bezos openly acknowledged that his view of Trump has shifted compared to years earlier.
“I’m comparing him to his first term, and I think he is a more mature, more disciplined version of himself,” Bezos said.
The Amazon founder went even further, arguing Trump has earned more credit than many of his critics are willing to concede.
“Trump has lots of good ideas, and he has done a lot,” Bezos said. “He’s been right about a lot of things, and you have to give him credit where credit is due.”
At one point during the interview, the billionaire made his stance unmistakably clear, declaring, “I’m on America’s side.”
The comments immediately stood out because Bezos and Trump once shared one of the most openly hostile relationships in American business and politics.
During Trump’s first presidency, the two repeatedly clashed over taxes, Amazon’s business practices and Bezos’s ownership of The Washington Post.
But the tone has shifted noticeably during Trump’s second term.
Questions about Bezos’s proximity to the administration intensified earlier this year after a private dinner between Bezos and Trump at Mar-a-Lago.
Bezos on the Melania movie: "By the way, it appears it was a good business decision. It did very well in theaters. It's done very well on streaming. People are very curious about Melania. So even though I had nothing to do with it, it appears the Amazon team made a very wise… pic.twitter.com/MeZ8nDc5y6
— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) May 20, 2026
Jeff Bezos opens up on Melania documentary
During the CNBC interview, Bezos also addressed the controversy surrounding Amazon’s financial backing of a documentary centered on Melania Trump.
The billionaire firmly denied accusations that the project was designed to build goodwill with the White House.
“The Melania thing is a falsehood that will not die,” Bezos said, insisting he personally had “nothing to do with” the decision.
Amazon MGM Studios reportedly spent roughly $40 million acquiring the documentary, while an additional $35 million went toward marketing and promotion.
The film followed Melania Trump in the lead-up to Trump’s second inauguration and later generated strong streaming numbers despite a relatively modest theatrical run.
Bezos argued the decision was ultimately commercial rather than political.
“People are very curious about Melania,” he said. “It appears that the Amazon team made a very wise business decision.”