Judge reopens Trump's $10B IRS lawsuit over claims of 'deception'

The lawsuit was dismissed after Trump and the DOJ agreed to create a $1.776 billion 'anti-weaponization' fund for people claiming government targeting
A federal judge reopened President Donald Trump's $10 billion IRS lawsuit and ordered the administration to respond to allegations that the case was 'premised on deception' (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
A federal judge reopened President Donald Trump's $10 billion IRS lawsuit and ordered the administration to respond to allegations that the case was 'premised on deception' (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)


WASHINGTON, DC: A federal judge has reopened President Donal Trump's $10 billion IRS lawsuit after raising concerns that the settlement process may have involved “deception” and possible fraud on the court.

Judge Kathleen M Williams said she wanted to examine “grievous allegations” surrounding the abrupt settlement agreement announced by Trump's Justice Department last week. She also questioned whether the case was structured to bypass normal judicial scrutiny.

Judge questions settlement process

The ruling marks a sharp reversal after the lawsuit had been voluntarily dismissed following a deal that created a $1.8 billion compensation fund tied to claims of alleged government “weaponization” under Democratic administrations.

Williams, an appointee of former President Barack Obama, said she would investigate whether the court “was the victim of fraud” and whether the settlement process improperly cut the court out of oversight.

President Donald Trump walks after placing a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington National Cemetery on Memorial Day, Monday, May 25, 2026, in Arlington, Va. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
President Donald Trump walks after placing a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington National Cemetery on Memorial Day, Monday, May 25, 2026, in Arlington, Va (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

She ordered Trump’s legal team to respond by June 12 on whether the case should formally be reopened.

The judge also questioned whether Trump coordinated with his own administration to settle the lawsuit before the court could fully review it.

Before the dismissal, Williams had already expressed doubts about whether the lawsuit even presented a valid legal dispute, noting Trump was effectively on both sides of the settlement through his administration.

“At the time, she said there was no settlement of record,” the filing noted, though DOJ later released documents finalizing the agreement.

Former judges push investigation

The renewed scrutiny came after 35 former federal judges filed court papers urging Williams to reinstate the case and investigate the settlement.

They argued the deal raised serious concerns about Trump’s “candor toward the court” and accused him of manipulating the judicial system for private gain.

“The judges and their counsel greatly appreciate the seriousness with which the court is addressing these grievous allegations,” said Norman Eisen, who represents the group through the Democracy Defenders Fund. “We stand ready to work with the court as it investigates this matter.”

The former judges, alongside law firms Platkin and Susman Godfrey, argued Trump used the lawsuit to secure “unlawful private benefits” while creating a taxpayer-funded compensation structure without congressional approval.

They also accused Trump of trying to “short-circuit judicial oversight” by rushing the settlement.

TUSCALOOSA, ALABAMA - MAY 01: U.S. President Donald Trump delivers remarks to graduating students at the Coleman Coliseum at the University of Alabama on May 01, 2025 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Trump's remarks come the day before commencement ceremonies. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump delivers remarks to graduating students at the Coleman Coliseum at the University of Alabama on May 01, 2025 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

Williams referenced reporting from the New York Times that said the IRS had prepared a detailed 25-page defense memo that was never used in court despite possible legal arguments against Trump’s claims.

The judge also flagged provisions that allegedly granted audit protections to Trump, his businesses, and family members, questioning whether those terms exceeded DOJ authority.

Trump originally filed the lawsuit in January alongside family members and business entities, claiming at least $10 billion in damages tied to leaked tax records disclosed by former IRS contractor Charles Littlejohn.

The suit argued the IRS failed to stop the disclosure of records later published by the New York Times and ProPublica.

But legal experts cited in the filings questioned whether the IRS could legally be held liable for an independent contractor’s actions and pointed to possible statute-of-limitations issues.

The $1.8 billion compensation fund tied to the settlement has already been temporarily blocked by a federal judge in Virginia, while lawmakers from both parties have raised concerns about the legality of the program.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Bill Maher questioned the party's handling of the Israel-Gaza debate and highlighted Sen Jon Ossoff's role in the growing internal divide
1 hour ago
Donald Trump made the remark while recalling a conversation with Melania Trump about his signature 'YMCA' dance routine
2 hours ago
Canada sharply responded, stating that it would immediately respond with matching tariffs, as both sides blamed the other for the collapse in talks
2 hours ago
Trump called Tucker Carlson a 'low-IQ individual' who is 'totally irrelevant,' and suggested he needs a cognitive test if he runs for office
2 hours ago
Donald Trump defended Darline Graham over criticism of her national security remarks and urged South Carolina Republicans to support her campaign
2 hours ago
Trump said he did not direct Scott Bessent to intervene in the bond market and that the Treasury secretary acted on his own initiative
3 hours ago
Trump argued that a Democratic takeover would hurt jobs and businesses, and claimed they would seek to remove him from office without a clear reason
3 hours ago
Trump praised Scott Jennings and Margo Martin as interest grows in who will take over the high-profile White House communications role
5 hours ago
Alejandro Brito demanded a retraction from the Center for American Progress, while CEO Neera Tanden defended its findings
5 hours ago
The Supreme Court temporarily paused a judicial order that would have required the construction of Trump's White House ballroom to stop at midnight Friday.
6 hours ago