Kristi Noem says deportation possible for Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro after US trial

Pam Bondi detailed multiple charges against Nicolas Maduro, including illicit substance importation and weapons conspiracies as part of the indictment
PUBLISHED JAN 4, 2026
Kristi Noem noted that the prosecution of Nicolas Maduro was the priority but left open the possibility of working with other nations to deport them if required (Getty Images)
Kristi Noem noted that the prosecution of Nicolas Maduro was the priority but left open the possibility of working with other nations to deport them if required (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem said on Sunday, January 4, that Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro and his wife Cilia Flores could face deportation after standing trial in the United States.

The comments come a day after President Donald Trump announced that US forces captured the pair during a large-scale overnight military operation in Venezuela.

Maduro and Flores are currently being held in federal custody in New York ahead of their court appearances. Venezuelan officials have disputed US claims and condemned the operation as an act of aggression.

President Donald Trump looks on before he delivers remarks during an Easter Prayer Service and Dinner in the Blue Room of the White House on April 16, 2025, in Washington, DC (Win McNamee/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump looks on before he delivers remarks during an Easter Prayer Service and Dinner in the Blue Room of the White House on April 16, 2025, in Washington, DC (Win McNamee/Getty Images)

Kristi Noem says US wants to bring Nicolas Maduro to justice

Speaking on Fox News, Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem said that the US administration was focused on bringing Nicolás Maduro and Cilia Flores to justice, while leaving open the possibility of deportation following their trial.

“If there’s a legitimate government in another country that wants them to come and pay for their crimes in their country, we’ll work with them. Right now, we don’t have that in Venezuela,” Noem said.

Kristi Noem shares social media update from El Salvador prison (Screengrab/Kristi Noem/X)
Kristi Noem shares social media update from El Salvador prison (Screengrab/Kristi Noem/X)

Noem said that the priority for US authorities was prosecution under American law.

Maduro and Flores are currently being held at a federal detention center in Brooklyn, New York, and are scheduled to appear in a Manhattan court on Monday.

ORLANDO, FLORIDA - FEBRUARY 27: South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem addresses the Conservative Political A
Kristi Noem addresses the Conservative Political Action Conference held in the Hyatt Regency on February 27, 2021, in Orlando, Florida (Joe Raedle/Getty Images) 

The comments follow Attorney General Pam Bondi’s announcement that the pair would face multiple charges in the United States.

In a post on X, Bondi wrote, “Nicolas Maduro has been charged with N***o-T*****m Conspiracy, C*****e Importation Conspiracy, Possession of Machineguns and Destructive Devices, and Conspiracy to Possess Machineguns and Destructive Devices against the United States.”

She added, “They will soon face the full wrath of American justice on American soil in American courts.”



Bondi also praised the operation that led to the arrests, saying, “On behalf of the entire US DOJ, I would like to thank President Trump… and our brave military who conducted the incredible and highly successful mission.” 

US officials have said that Maduro was previously indicted in federal court, and his capture marked a significant escalation in Washington’s actions toward the Venezuelan government.

WASHINGTON, DC - JANUARY 27: In this screengrab taken from a Senate Television webcast, Legal Counse
In this screengrab taken from a Senate Television webcast, Legal Counsel for President Donald Trump, former Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi, speaks during impeachment proceedings against Donald Trump in the Senate at the Capitol on January 27, 2020, in Washington, DC (Senate Television via Getty Images)

Trump details Venezuela operation as successful

President Donald Trump announced early on Saturday that the United States had carried out a large-scale overnight military operation in Venezuela, resulting in the capture of Maduro and Flores.

Trump said the pair were taken into custody following coordinated strikes by US forces and flown out of the country.



In a post on Truth Social, Trump wrote, “The United States of America has successfully carried out a large-scale strike against Venezuela and its leader, President Nicolas Maduro, who has been, along with his wife, captured and flown out of the Country.”

He continued, “This operation was done in conjunction with US Law Enforcement. Details to follow.”

PALM BEACH, FLORIDA - JANUARY 03: U.S. President Donald Trump addresses the media alongside U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio (L) and U.S. Secretary of War Pete Hegseth (R) during a news conference at his Mar-a-Lago club on January 03, 2026, in Palm Beach, Florida. President Trump confirmed that the U.S. military carried out a large-scale strike in Caracas overnight, resulting in the capture of Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores. (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump addresses the media alongside Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Secretary of War Pete Hegseth during a news conference at his Mar-a-Lago club on January 03, 2026, in Palm Beach, Florida (Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

Trump praised the mission, saying, “A lot of good planning and lot of great, great troops and great people. It was a brilliant operation, actually.” 

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

James Heidorn calls leaving his 14-year teaching career 'devastating' after community backlash over his personal ICE support
1 hour ago
Hillary Clinton outlined arming Ukraine with missiles, while Petr Macinka urged calm dialogue and rejected labeling opponents 'fascist'
1 hour ago
Sources say Savannah Guthrie may leave 'Today' after her mother’s Tucson abduction, fearing her job may have made her a target
1 hour ago
The former president and first lady cheered courtside with daughter Sasha while enjoying the All-Star Game and sharing family moments
1 hour ago
Australian activist Drew Pavlou says his satirical plan to occupy Billie Eilish’s mansion led to a 30-hour detention at LAX
2 hours ago
Petr Macinka criticized woke culture and gender ideology, while Hillary Clinton defended women’s rights during their tense exchange
2 hours ago
Maher says outrage is emotional, insists his views on Trump haven’t changed and vows to keep mocking progressive activists
4 hours ago
Savannah Guthrie urged Nancy Guthrie’s return, saying it is not too late to act and expressing hope and belief in people’s goodness
4 hours ago
The New York Post alerted the Pima County Sheriff’s Department after finding gloves, as DNA from one may match Nancy Guthrie’s masked kidnapper
5 hours ago
Tucker Carlson says official silence is driving online speculation and warns key details may stay hidden until records are eventually declassified
6 hours ago