Massive explosion rocks Strait of Hormuz after tanker leaves Iran-designated route

Last month, Iranian authorities said ships could pass safely only on military-approved routes, citing rising regional hostilities
A tanker sits anchored in the Strait of Hormuz off the coast of Qeshm Island, Iran, Saturday, April 18, 2026 (AP Photo/Asghar Besharati)
A tanker sits anchored in the Strait of Hormuz off the coast of Qeshm Island, Iran, Saturday, April 18, 2026 (AP Photo/Asghar Besharati)

TEHRAN, IRAN: A fresh maritime scare unfolded in one of the world's most volatile waterways on Sunday, July 26, after an oil tanker was rocked by an explosion in the Strait of Hormuz, with Iranian media claiming the vessel triggered a naval mine after sailing outside a route approved by Tehran.

The reported blast comes at a time when the narrow passage has become a major flashpoint in the expanding US-Iran conflict, where even a slight deviation from Iran's newly enforced navigation rules is now being portrayed as carrying potentially devastating consequences.



Massive blast rocks Strait of Hormuz

Iranian state-affiliated outlets claimed the tanker had allegedly left the shipping corridor designated by Iranian authorities before the explosion occurred.

Tasnim News reported that the vessel struck what it described as a naval mine after moving beyond the approved navigation lane, while Mehr News, citing an informed source, echoed the same account.

Neither outlet identified the tanker, and officials have not released details about the crew, possible casualties or the extent of damage suffered by the vessel.

A rider gallops along a beach as oil tankers and cargo ships line up in the Strait of Hormuz near Khor Fakkan, United Arab Emirates, Wednesday, March 11, 2026. (AP Photo/Altaf Qadri)
A rider gallops along a beach as oil tankers and cargo ships line up in the Strait of Hormuz near Khor Fakkan, United Arab Emirates, Wednesday, March 11, 2026 (AP Photo/Altaf Qadri)

The reported incident follows a series of increasingly blunt warnings from Tehran over how commercial vessels should navigate the Strait of Hormuz.

Last month, Iranian authorities declared that ships would only be allowed to pass safely if they used routes authorized by Iran's military, arguing that tighter control was necessary because of mounting regional hostilities.

Those warnings have become more forceful as military exchanges between the United States and Iran have intensified in recent weeks.

A patrol boat moves through the water as cargo ships sit at anchor in the Strait of Hormuz off Bandar Abbas, Iran, Saturday, May 2, 2026.(Amirhosein Khorgooi/ISNA via AP)
A patrol boat moves through the water as cargo ships sit at anchor in the Strait of Hormuz off Bandar Abbas, Iran, Saturday, May 2, 2026 (Amirhosein Khorgooi/ISNA via AP)

IRGC's blunt warnings to vessels

Iran's Revolutionary Guard has already claimed that it has acted against vessels it says ignored its navigation orders.

Earlier this week, the IRGC alleged that three oil tankers attempted to travel through an unauthorized southern corridor.

According to the Iranian military, one vessel struck an explosive device and caught fire, forcing the remaining ships to abandon their journey.

ARABIAN SEA - APRIL 20: (EDITOR'S NOTE: This Handout image was provided by a third-party organization and may not adhere to Getty Images' editorial policy.) In this handout photo provided by U.S. Central Command, U.S. forces patrol the Arabian Sea near M/V Touska on April 20, 2026, after firing upon the Iranian-flagged vessel that the U.S. accused of attempting to violate the U.S. naval blockade of Iranian ports near the Strait of Hormuz. (Handout Photo by the U.S. Navy via Getty Images)
In this handout photo provided by US Central Command, US forces patrol the Arabian Sea near M/V Touska on April 20, 2026 (The US Navy via Getty Images)

Iranian commanders later warned that any commercial ship bypassing approved routes could face identical consequences.

The Guard had also announced earlier this month that it disabled two separate oil tankers after accusing them of switching off their navigation systems and entering what Tehran described as a mined zone outside the authorized shipping corridor.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump rejected claims that November's midterm elections influenced his approach to the conflict, saying they had 'nothing to do' with his thinking
36 minutes ago
A Wall Street Journal report says Iran used the diplomatic window to strengthen the IRGC, rebuild weapons capacity and prepare for wider conflict
1 hour ago
Donald Trump cited cost, diplomacy with Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s Iran stance as the Pentagon reduced US participation in annual military drills
10 hours ago
Iranian Army chief Amir Hatami said the reward was created after a surge in requests from Iranians seeking to join the conflict
15 hours ago
Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran would decide when the strategic waterway opens or closes, rejecting Washington’s claim of control
2 days ago
Iran said the United States must pledge never to threaten Tehran again and permanently end its war with Iran and its regional allies
Aug 9, 2026
Kazem Gharibabadi said negotiations were essential as inflation hit 88.6% and Iran’s oil exports faced mounting disruption
Aug 9, 2026
Iran said the Strait of Hormuz would remain closed until the US ended military action, lifted sanctions, and withdrew its forces
Aug 8, 2026
Reza Valizadeh also revealed that Iranian authorities have prevented his family from visiting him for five months, which he believes is punishment
Aug 8, 2026
Ron Dermer served as Israel’s ambassador to the US from 2013 to 2021 and later worked as Benjamin Netanyahu’s strategic affairs minister
Aug 8, 2026