Match website sent 18 women’s dating profiles to Jeffrey Epstein despite offender registration

DOJ files show Match Group emails to Epstein came before stronger safety checks, raising questions about platform oversight and user screening
Jeffrey Epstein received women’s dating profiles from Match.com years after registering as an offender (Rick Friedman/Corbis via Getty Images)
Jeffrey Epstein received women’s dating profiles from Match.com years after registering as an offender (Rick Friedman/Corbis via Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Newly released Department of Justice files show that online dating platform Match.com sent profiles of 18 young women to Jeffrey Epstein, despite his status as a registered sex offender. Epstein, the disgraced financier, was required to register in 2008 and served 13 months in a minimum-security jail. According to the files, emails from Match Group sent in 2012 promised him additional “new matches” from across the United States.

The emails highlight a troubling lapse in the dating platform’s safety measures, raising questions about how registered offenders were able to access such services at the time.

Match website emailed Epstein despite offender registration

Billionaire Jeffrey Epstein in Cambridge, MA on 9/8/04. Epstein is connected with several prominent people including politicians, actors and academics. Epstein was convicted of having sex with an underaged woman. (Rick Friedman/Corbis via Getty Images)
Billionaire Jeffrey Epstein was connected to prominent figures, including politicians and academics (Rick Friedman/Corbis via Getty Images)

On July 5, 2012, Match.com sent Epstein an email stating, “Congratulations on your first 18 matches. We will continue to send you new matches.” The message, sent to the account “jeeproject,” listed multiple matches with women across the US, all 26 or younger.

The day before, Epstein received another email welcoming him to the site, which is owned by Match Group, the parent company of other dating apps including OkCupid, Tinder, and Hinge. “Welcome to the Leading Online Dating Site. Congratulations! You’ve joined the most dynamic group of singles out there. We’re responsible for more dates, relationships, and marriages than any other site,” the email read, noting he was a man “seeking women.”

Billionaire Jeffrey Epstein in Cambridge, MA on 9/8/04. Epstein is connected with several prominent people including politicians, actors and academics. Epstein was convicted of having sex with an underaged woman. (Photo by Rick Friedman/Corbis via Getty Images)
Jeffrey Epstein received widespread attention due to his ties with elites and financial influence (Rick Friedman/Corbis via Getty Images)

In April 2011, Match.com had announced plans to screen users registered as offenders. “We’ve been advised that a combination of improved technology and an improved database now enables a sufficient degree of accuracy to move forward with this initiative, despite its continued imperfection,” former CEO Mandy Ginsberg said. Today, Match Group states that registered s*x offenders and suspected traffickers are banned from its platforms.

Match Group responds to reports of emails to Epstein

Billionaire Jeffrey Epstein in Cambridge, MA on 9/8/04. Epstein is connected with several prominent people including politicians, actors and academics. Epstein was convicted of having sex with an underaged woman. (Photo by Rick Friedman/Rick Friedman Photography/Corbis via Getty Images)
Epstein’s network included politicians, academics, and actors, drawing global scrutiny (Rick Friedman/Rick Friedman Photography/Corbis via Getty Images)

A spokesperson for Match Group told The New York Post that the emails occurred at a time when safety checks were far more limited than they are now. “The activity referenced dates back more than a decade, during a time when safety tools and registry checks were far more limited than they are today,” the spokesperson said.

“Since then, both the tools available and Match Group’s own Trust & Safety practices have been significantly strengthened through improvements in technology and our continued investment in safety.”

Records show Epstein paid just over $45 per month for Match.com and had also signed up for OkCupid in January 2011, before Match Group acquired the company. It remains unclear whether he ever contacted or met any of the women he was matched with.

Epstein was later federally charged in New York in 2019 with trafficking underage girls over several years. He died in his jail cell that August while awaiting trial. Authorities believe he victimized hundreds of women and children.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Heidi Overton has helped shape Trump’s health policies and faced criticism from MAHA advocates over several administration initiatives
2 hours ago
The UN-authorized Omani route is opposed by Iran, but vessels increasingly use it despite risks, relying on US naval forces for protection
4 hours ago
David Morens admitted to using a personal email account to conduct government business and circumvent federal public-records laws
5 hours ago
The USS Benfold lost power in the South China Sea, disrupting water, food, air conditioning and toilets before it was towed to the Philippines
6 hours ago
Haley Van Erem alleges some university investigations lacked evidence of Title VI violations and were steered toward settlements
8 hours ago
Trump acknowledged that no peace talks are underway with Tehran as the 60-day deadline for reaching a permanent ceasefire expired
13 hours ago
A Democratic senator’s jab at Trump’s close aide sparked a fierce White House response as fresh scrutiny surrounds Harp’s unusually prominent role
14 hours ago
Last month, Rubio escalated the administration’s fight against the ICC, calling it a State Department-led campaign to dismantle the court
14 hours ago
Sean Spicer says Trump’s next press secretary will likely need his trust, understand his communication style and already have a close relationship with him
15 hours ago
Judge Brian E Murphy rejected a bid to delay ending TPS for about 5,000 Ethiopians as their legal challenge continues
15 hours ago