Millie Bobby Brown says she 'felt safe' working with David Harbour despite bullying reports
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Millie Bobby Brown insists she “felt safe” working with David Harbour, despite a bombshell report claiming she filed a bullying and harassment complaint against her on-screen dad.
Earlier this month, the Daily Mail whipped fans into a frenzy with claims that Brown, 21, lodged a complaint accusing Harbour, 50, of “bullying and harassment” before filming kicked off for the show’s fifth and final season. But in a sit-down with Deadline, the 'Stranger Things' superstar hit the brakes on the rumor mill and made it clear she’s not afraid of Chief Hopper.
“Of course I felt safe. I mean, we've worked together for 10 years,” Brown said in a clip dropped on Deadline’s TikTok on Friday, November 28. “I feel safe with everyone on that set. You naturally just, you know ... you've been doing it for so long.”
The Hopper–Eleven bond is real
Brown went on to explain that her long-running dad–daughter dynamic with Harbour on the show plays a big role in their real-life rapport.
“We also play father and daughter, so naturally, you have a closer bond than the rest, because we have had some really intense scenes together, especially in season 2,” she said.
“Not a closer bond than us,” Noah Schnapp, 21, interjected.
Brown nodded in agreement, “No, of course not. Very different, very different.”
Despite the controversy, Brown expressed her admiration for Harbour and their partnership going into the show’s emotionally charged final season.
“But David and I have a great relationship. We work really closely together in the scenes and in preparing for the scenes,” she told Deadline. “And I really am excited for everyone to see the labor of love, and hard work we put into the closure of our relationship, and what that looks like.”
She even teased some serious tear-jerkers coming for the Hopper–Eleven fanbase.
“And to give some of the fans, especially the Hopper and Eleven fans, those scenes that I feel, I think are gonna be quite impactful,” she said. “But I love it. It makes me wanna bring my A-game every single time I see that I'm on the call sheet working with him because I know he's bringing it right back.”
Their love for each other prevails despite rumors
The Daily Mail’s report claimed Brown “filed a harassment and bullying claim” against Harbour, sparking an investigation with “pages and pages of accusations,” according to a source. The outlet said the probe dragged on for “months.”
When asked about the controversy at the Season 5 premiere (which came just five days after the story dropped), co-creator Ross Duffer kept his lips sealed.
He told The Hollywood Reporter he couldn't "get into personal on-set matters."
“But I will say we’ve been doing this for 10 years with this cast, and at this point they’re family, and we deeply care about them. So, you know, nothing matters more than just having a set where everyone feels safe and happy," Duffer added.
At the Los Angeles premiere, Brown told Entertainment Tonight she has “a really special bond” with Harbour, adding, “It’s been so special to have him along the journey for me.”
Harbour returned the love by telling the outlet, “I adore her.”
Volume 1 of Stranger Things Season 5 is now streaming on Netflix. Volume 2 drops December 25, and the grand finale is slated for December 31.