Natalie Maines launches profanity-laced rant against Trump 23 years after George W Bush criticism
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Country singer Natalie Maines launched a scathing attack against President Donald Trump in a profanity-laced Instagram post shared on Monday, May 18, expressing concern over the state of American democracy and sharply criticizing the administration.
The 51-year-old singer, best known as a member of 'The Chicks,' reignited political controversy with her criticism of Trump and his administration more than two decades after her public remarks against former President George W Bush during the Iraq War drew widespread backlash and affected the band’s career.
Natalie Maines attacks Donald Trump over democracy and IRS controversy
Maines shared an official portrait of Trump on Instagram alongside a caption expressing concern about the state of American democracy. “Our democracy is disappearing right before our eyes,” she wrote before launching into a broader criticism of the president and his administration.
The singer accused Trump of “using your gas money to pay the insurrectionists,” seemingly referencing both rising gas prices linked to tensions involving Iran and a controversial agreement involving the Internal Revenue Service.
Maines also claimed that a previous Instagram post in which she used the same insult toward Trump had been removed from the platform. She urged followers to repost her message “to help the message live” and referenced comments made by Rep Jamie Raskin regarding searches connected to unreleased files involving Jeffrey Epstein.
Raskin had reportedly said that searches for terms including “Trump,” “Donald,” and “Don” generated more than one million results, though he later clarified that not every result necessarily referred to the president. Maines also used hashtags including “democracy,” “free speech,” and an expletive directed at Trump.
Her criticism appeared linked to reports that Trump, along with his sons Donald Trump Jr and Eric Trump, and the Trump Organization had filed a lawsuit against the Treasury Department and the IRS over leaked tax returns.
According to the report, the dispute was resolved through an agreement establishing a nearly $1.776 billion “Anti-Weaponization Fund.” The fund would reportedly issue formal apologies and financial relief to claimants and be overseen by a five-member commission appointed by the Attorney General.
Natalie Maines revisits legacy of backlash over George W Bush criticism
Maines’ latest comments revived memories of the backlash she and her bandmates, sisters Emily Strayer and Martie Maguire, faced in 2003 after criticizing Bush during a concert in London. At the time, Maines told the audience, “Just so you know, we’re ashamed that the president of the United States is from Texas.”
The statement sparked intense backlash across the country music industry. The group, then known as 'The Dixie Chicks,' was removed from playlists on numerous country radio stations and reportedly received death threats.
Several country artists criticized the trio publicly, with late country singer Toby Keith among the most outspoken supporters of Bush and the Iraq War. Maines later apologized for the remark before withdrawing the apology in 2006.
In an interview with Time magazine, she stated, “I don’t feel that way anymore. I don’t feel he is owed any respect whatsoever.” In June 2020, the group officially changed its name from 'The Dixie Chicks' to 'The Chicks' following criticism over the term “Dixie” and its historical ties to slavery in the United States.
The band said the decision was influenced by protests following the death of George Floyd and the rise of the Black Lives Matter movement. The group also stated they had wanted to move away from the name for years, describing it as “that stupid name” chosen during their teenage years.